R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default RC8T CE help

I recently purchased a used RC8T CE basically ready to roll with almost new Werks B5, but the guy kinda took it apart to ship. The front and rear suspension has been removed from the chasis. Do I have to replace the gearbox gaskets when I reinstall the suspension bulk heads? Says to use black grease - looks greasy now but do I need more? Also what black grease is it or is best? Sorry for super noob question, and as always everyone on here is super helpful and friendly - THANKS
Attached Thumbnails
RC8T CE help-photo-1.jpg   RC8T CE help-photo-2.jpg  
poppincoppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I never really replace my gaskets and they seem to be doing just fine. I always run some Mobil 1 synthetic bearing and CV grease on my cars, it holds up great to high RPM conditions and is nice and tacky. You can get a huge tub of it at Autozone or anywhere else really and you'll never run out.

Justin
Old 10-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Tech Adept

ok thanks - so how much do I add? Do I add to bottom of bulkhead or put on gasket then screw it down? Appreciate the help so much - Thanks
Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

I add a good bit usually a couple finger tips worth so your gears have plenty of grease, you really can't add too much. Take and add smear a fingers worth on the gear turn it a few times to get the pinion and different gear coated and do it one more time and it'll be fine until you crack it open again. I put all my grease on after I have the bulkheads put together but before I pit them back on the chassis.

Justin
Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you guys are talking about two different things.

1) Lube ring and pinion gears if you want. Some people run dry claiming the grease will attract dirt and become abrasive.

2) Using grease to help seal the diff case and keep dirt out. Small amount around outside of case where it meets the chassis.

I run Losi and Mugen. I always use black grease on pinion and also a little to help seal bottom of diff case.

Last edited by scwrod; 10-28-2012 at 06:56 PM.
scwrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Ok thank you. Use same black grease he mentioned? Pinion being at clutch right, it doesn't fly off? Or do you apply frequently? Like I said noob overall and thanks.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do not lube clutchbell/spur

We are talking diff case
Pinion is the gear that the differential ring gear contacts to turn the driveshaft. The small gear inside your diff case.

Hear is a breakdown of gears.

You have the diff itself. Diff housing. Big gear is a ring gear. In side diff housing you have spider gears and sun gears.

Inside your diff case you will have pinion gear. Small and has bearings and just sits in the diff case. Then you would insert the diff and shim if necessary.

Center is same except the big gear is called a spur gear. Then you have the clutchbell.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Tech Adept

ah ok - was wondering because never done that, I love to drive but not best mechanic... Yet

Thanks - oh does it matter what grease I use to put the bulkhead back on - I have some black grease I got from auto parts store, but no RC little tubes like I saw on ae website. again appreciate the help
Old 10-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppincoppin View Post
ah ok - was wondering because never done that, I love to drive but not best mechanic... Yet

Thanks - oh does it matter what grease I use to put the bulkhead back on - I have some black grease I got from auto parts store, but no RC little tubes like I saw on ae website. again appreciate the help
For this particular application - grease is grease. You're just creating a seal between the chassis and bulkhead to keep dirt out. Use what you've got.

I use this stuff just about everywhere - a tube will last you years.

kja812 is offline   Reply With Quote