Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Stuck between Kyosho Inferno Neo ST and HPI Trophy Truggy!!! opinions welcome! >

Stuck between Kyosho Inferno Neo ST and HPI Trophy Truggy!!! opinions welcome!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck between Kyosho Inferno Neo ST and HPI Trophy Truggy!!! opinions welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Stuck between Kyosho Inferno Neo ST and HPI Trophy Truggy!!! opinions welcome!

I don't know what would be a better buy for a starter nitro truggy.. I will race it at the LHS but obviously a Losi 8ight T or Associated would be ideal but I have never raced and I figure either the Kyosho or HPI would be a decent starter.. any opinions on which one to get? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racinmasonc
I don't know what would be a better buy for a starter nitro truggy.. I will race it at the LHS but obviously a Losi 8ight T or Associated would be ideal but I have never raced and I figure either the Kyosho or HPI would be a decent starter.. any opinions on which one to get? Thanks!
Get the RC8T. This is a great machine with a great manual for you to build and it will teach you how to adjust everything. If you buy the trophy truggy you will get used to it rather quickly and then wished you went for the full blown race version.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

sorry i don't have the extra money laying around.. the question was between those 2.. i know associated, losi, mugen are better and i will probably get one later on.. first i have to see how i like it before i put $1,000+ into a nitro truggy..
Old 10-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Buying either one of those entrylevel vehicles you have your mind set on is not a good idea.
They usually come with terrible engines which don't hold a tune, and are based on 10-year-old designs which are long since obsolete and have no real value, and are in addition made with substandard plastics to save money, and have cheaper thinner aluminum bits like shocktowers and such.

What will most likely happen if you buy one of these?
You will have an engine with a pullstart which is prone to breaking, either the pullstart string mechanism will break or the one-way-bearing in the pullstart will break, and that will happen "all the time" so you are always spending $20 every week on new parts for the pullstart.

Then you will struggle to tune the engine.
So you will give up nitro alltogether, and tell all your friends about "how hard it is to tune" a nitro engine, when in reality it is the cheap piece of junk engine that came with the Kyosho RTR which has made life so hard for you.

My suggestion to you is that rather than going down this path of buying what is essentially a "toy" which can only serve to turn you off the sport alltogether because the engine and parts are substandard quality, you would be better off buying something real straight away.

You would be surprised how cheaply you can get something real.
This is the time of the year when people are selling their stuff after the season.
You can probably pick up a Mugen MBX-6 for $150 2nd hand if you are lucky.
You can get a Go G5T engine from Amain for $99, that is actually a decent engine and will do you nicely for a while.
You can get a digital 2.4ghz radioset for $50 brand new, which will have EPA adjustments - which is the only real feature you need.
Buy a cheap starterbox $50.
You could be all set to go for a total of $400-450 with a GOOD quality car, decent enough engine which is brand new, and not have to struggle with this ready-to-run-rubbish based on 10-12 year old designs which are long since obsolete, and have been re-manufactured with worse quality parts than they originally had and a horrendous engine!

Any beginner should take this advice, and avoid the RTR rubbish.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

got a MBX5T as a roller with a Losi 427 engine.. that a decent engine? or still get a newer engine so it's maybe easier to tune?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I purchased and raced the Kyosho Neo ST and I recommend it. There are 2 things that you will need to replace at some point but not right away and they are the engine and the servos.

I raced the truggy in out-of-the box condition and I did OK with it. It handles fine and it is a good platform to learn about off-road racing. I have been racing 1/8 on-road for almost 30 years and I wanted to learn off road so I bought this vehicle. When the servos died and I put in high speed/high torque Savox servos.

The engine ran fine and held tune and provided enough power for me while I was learning to drive off-road. I ended up replacing it with an LRP .28 after I was driving better. I ran the vehicle a lot and the only part I had to replace was a bent suspension hinge pin.

Lee
Old 10-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

got a MBX5T as a roller with a Losi 427 engine.. that a decent engine? or still get a newer engine so it's maybe easier to tune?
Get a Novarossi P5 a little later on, for now you should be fine
Old 10-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Tech Adept

what about the Go Technology GXII-5RHO 5+2 Port .21 Competition Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug)??? decent too?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what about the Go Technology GXII-5RHO 5+2 Port .21 Competition Buggy Engine (Turbo Plug)??? decent too?
Do not overlook the LRP .28 for truggy applications. Truggies can legally run a .28 and the LRP is a super strong very fast inexpensive engine that will outrun most .21 engines and the LRP cost a LOT less $$.

Lee