R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New to RC - My 2 day review

Greetings,

I am brand new to the RC world and I wanted to give a quick summary of what i've gone through in the last 2 days with my recent purchase. I would like to get some feedback on if this is normal, user error, a lemon, or just crazy bad luck.

Unit: HPI Trophy Truggy 4.6
Day 1:

- On the 4th tank of breaking it in, the truggy stops responding to controller input and slowly drives onto the gas. After 10 seconds it starts responding to controller input

- On the 5th tank it stops responding to the controller while at 50% throttle, it then takes off down the street and stops just before hitting a house (again after 10 seconds).

Day 2 -

- I find out the batteries included have a "recall" on them and shouldn't be used (via website), i replace batteries with all new ones.
- I find out the battery holder on the receiver is defective (via hpi website) and call HPI to report it, 2 week delay on the new part
- In order to run the truggy I go to local Hshop and purchase a battery pack/cell so I can use the unit still

- On the first tank of the night when it stalls out, I go to restart it and notice the pull starter is gone. I check around the area and find the plastic tube had been melted through and the rope was cut.
- 2 hours later we complete a re-assembly of the spring inside the pull start
- I take it to an empty flat parking lot to continue the break in and a wheel falls off
- luckily i find both pieces and put it back together and tighten it quite a lot, this works for about 1 minute and then the same tire flies off and the other 2 pieces are gone.

End of Day 2:

I now have a bad taste in my mouth with this product and have no idea how so much could go wrong in just 2 days. I was okay with things breaking and having to be fixed but I thought for sure that would only be if I took it off some huge ramps. or abused it in some fashion.

I am at a loss of what to do at this point as it seems pointless to keep dumping money into an RC that will just keep breaking for no reason, but I can't even drive it right now..

Sorry for the long rant but this has been the most anti-climatic experience that I can remember, it is beyond frustrating to think the Truggy has had maybe 2 hours of up-time and now 22 hours of broken time.
BrokenRecord is offline   Reply With Quote