R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default HELP!!!!!drag racing questions

Been racing dirt tracks and have done some street racing but nothing serious on the street until recently. My nephew just bought the fastest jato in the area and we went to a drag event this past weekend. I'm hooked so here's my questions. I don't want a jato and wanted to know is there any platform that can compete and beat them. Also I have a savage x with a rb motor and hellfire. Can the hellfire be geared to compete and beat revos drag racing? Is single or 2 or 3 speed best for dragging?And my last question can a 4wd compete against 2wd dragging? I'm only interested in nitrous so please keep any comments and info on electric to yourself NOT interested. Thanks in advance
gamebredrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

Anyone with some info?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ummm, really? Do you think maybe a purpose built drag car might be faster? You're the kind of person that takes a $40,000 diesle truck, dump another $40,000 into it to make it "fast". Take it to the drag strip and get humiliated by a $30,000 purpose built drag car. Is it really that hard to think? What is faster in real life a monster truck or a drag car.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Get an onroad car if you want speed. It's your money, burn it the way you want. Schumacher Fusion R12 should fit your needs.
fung_kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post
Ummm, really? Do you think maybe a purpose built drag car might be faster? You're the kind of person that takes a $40,000 diesle truck, dump another $40,000 into it to make it "fast". Take it to the drag strip and get humiliated by a $30,000 purpose built drag car. Is it really that hard to think? What is faster in real life a monster truck or a drag car.
Did you even read what I asked? People race all kinds of cars idiot. Anyone with some useful information it'll be greatly appreciated. Please read what I wrote and if possible provide some insight thanks.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Tech Champion

A Jato is 1/10th and really light.. I don't think any 8th scale offroader will beat it..

Maybe if you figure a way to get a 2-speed into a truggy, and mount up some modified monster engine..

An Ofna DM-1 or Serpent Cobra GT or the Team C GT or yeah the Kyosho IGT2 R, set up right, will smoke any offroaders.. But yeah, they're onroad cars.. Or as mentioned, Schumacher might have something.. They make crazy stuff like that..

You used to be able to mod a Thunder Tiger ST-1 with a 2-speed... Old stuff though..

If I were going to set out to do it, a really awesome middle-way (between offroad and onroad) would be an SC8, modded to have a 2-speed.. It's got to be possible, what with the buggies people have modified to run in the GT class.. A 65mph SC8 would be wild....
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Its not just about speed. Guys are drag racing monster trucks, truggies and jatos as well as on road and purpose built dragsters. Read what I wrote and if you can answer or lead me to somewhere with answers to any of those questions great, if not I'd rather not have a reply.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Thanks. Wondering if a firestorm or a gt2 with 2 speed can compete. Any info on gearing and single speed vs 2 speed is welcome.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Bump
Old 09-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

why do you keep asking if stuff will compete with other stuff, if "its not all about speed"

think you need to stop and think about it for a bit. jato, rustler etc are basically designed to go fast in a strait line. they are the only offroaders that are compatible with onroad abilities. of course there is the GT cars too.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

monster trucks etc are all about wheelies and power etc.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #12
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah, the exact thing you asked was "I don't want a jato and wanted to know is there any platform that can compete and beat them?" Uh yes, a purpose built dragster. You are doing something with a monster truck with which something else is a much better design. You asked for peoples opinion, and the general consensus is that a dragster makes a better dragster than a monster truck. It's really is not that hard to understand.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Ok I'll explain it one last time. They drag race MT against MT. They drag race sc trucks. They drag race EVERYTHING !I know a purpose built dragster will beat a jato. I know a OFNA DM-1 will beat one.Did you read the question about gearing? I asked multiple questions. When I say its not about speed I mean I'm not trying to set world records I'm trying trying to find a MT platform other a revo and a ST platform other than jato that's compareable with those to drag. If you can't answer or don't know or understand keep your replies to yourself.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

the only way your going to get something MT to beat those ACTUALY DESIGNED FOR STRAIT LINE, is to spend a heap of money on something like a flux on 8s with basically no ride height, and good luck trying to keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

with a Nitro MT theres no way youll even come close, first off it would need to be a duel engine, gear for high speed then the 900+ in upgrades to not let it rip itself apart due to the power,

stop wasting your time and everyone elses.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

Your still missing the point.WE RACE MONSTER TRUCK AGAINST MONSTER TRUCK NOT DRAG CARS. Revolt vs Lst and stadium trucks against stadium truck. Its not hard to understand. Any one with useful in post if not don't.