R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   1/8th about time.. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/664218-1-8th-about-time.html)

nick_n_ii 09-22-2012 11:54 PM

1/8th about time..

Hi all this is my first post here to bare with me...

I've been away from the RC Hobby now for about 15 years. I use to race Losi XXX buggy and truck. And a 1/8th Nitro Kyosho Rally Car..

Fast forward, now that my son is 9 and wants to get into RC's and I acquired 2 Nitro Sports (runners $100 for pair complete) the bug has bit me to race once again.

Well I got the wife to ok me a Spending Budget of $1500 at income tax time to set myself up to race. My heart has always been in 1/8th Nitro. And I'm dead set on a kit cause I love building them also.

So now I'm rather set on HB's but can't decide weather I want a D8 or the D8T. Other gear is also still in the planning faze ( I have 5 months to figure this all out.. :) )....

D8 or D8T which is a better racer and more fun?

Rockthecatbox21 09-23-2012 06:03 PM

The d8 is a buggy: more nimble, quicker to react, less forgiving but will yield faster lap times. The d8T is a truggy: bigger, more stable, very forgiving, kind of a lazy feel to the driving but is still a very fast class. Driving a buggy is more competitive due to the driving style and more popularity. The truggy class is more fun in my opinion. Truggies float like a cadillac over rough stuff where is with a buggy you really have to pick your line. Go to your local track and drive both and see which fits your driving style better.

beidle99 09-23-2012 07:07 PM

If you like the HB then the D8 is your ticket. Not sure about where your at, but truggies can be hit or miss attendance wise (plus tires cost more). For a motor I would suggest a Novarossi P5XLT (price is right around $200) and if you take care of it it will last and last.

Welcome back

Rockthecatbox21 09-23-2012 07:15 PM

I would be lying if i said i wasn't trying to change your mind, but the mugen series of cars are awesome. The quality of these kits is some of the best out there. You pay a little more but your kit will last far longer than associated or losi.

alwayswin 09-23-2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21 (Post 11245559)
I would be lying if i said i wasn't trying to change your mind, but the mugen series of cars are awesome. The quality of these kits is some of the best out there. You pay a little more but your kit will last far longer than associated or losi.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

fung_kyle 09-23-2012 07:34 PM

If you're racing, honestly I'd open up to other opinions. Also if there is a local track, check out what people are running and what the local hobby shop sells.

pickle311 09-23-2012 07:48 PM

Go for buggy. It's the most popular class and won't be going anywhere. The truggy class isn't what it was 3 years ago. Some areas still get a good turnout, others don't even run it anymore.
Buggy is more competitive and will teach you to be a better driver. Tires are also cheaper which is a plus.

Rockthecatbox21 09-23-2012 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by alwayswin (Post 11245584)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

May i ask why you are so set on getting a hotbodies? Did somebody tell you they were the best or did you hear that somewhere? Hotbodies makes a good car, but there are way too many great options to ignore. Like i said go to your local track, see what everybody is running and what cars have good parts support, and test drive both a truggy and a buggy.

gangstacoupe 09-24-2012 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21 (Post 11245726)
May i ask why you are so set on getting a hotbodies? Did somebody tell you they were the best or did you hear that somewhere? Hotbodies makes a good car, but there are way too many great options to ignore. Like i said go to your local track, see what everybody is running and what cars have good parts support, and test drive both a truggy and a buggy.

HB has won 90% of the big races this year and is at a great price point why not get one? Besides the fact some mugen fanboi told you not to? For the record I dont own a hb car and have never driven one.

fung_kyle 09-24-2012 08:30 AM

You can buy a serpent too you know?

@gangstacoupe

Any car being sold at the moment is capable of winning races, it's if the driver is capable of winning it. Are you saying mugen, serpent, losi and other big brands have no chance against HB? You can say it's a great price point, but when people say this won WC and stuff, it really ticks me off. Anyways again OP, check out other buggies, they may be possibly more appealing.

gangstacoupe 09-24-2012 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by fung_kyle (Post 11247287)
You can buy a serpent too you know?

@gangstacoupe

Any car being sold at the moment is capable of winning races, it's if the driver is capable of winning it. Are you saying mugen, serpent, losi and other big brands have no chance against HB? You can say it's a great price point, but when people say this won WC and stuff, it really ticks me off. Anyways again OP, check out other buggies, they may be possibly more appealing.

Can you read? I was stating a simple fact, Tessman has won pretty much every big race this year with a hb.

It really it ticks me off the op says he is rather set on hb an is trying to decide between buggy or truggy. Not name off a few other brands because you may not care for the car in question.

fung_kyle 09-24-2012 10:15 AM

Buggy it what I would recommend then. It's the finesse of off road racing. Speed, Sound, Slick. Also with $1500 you could easily get a good setup, Novarossi BTT, 9901/41021, Futaba BLS351/352, and a 2.4ghz transmitter if you don't have one already? Battery, starters. You have plenty of money left I think.

Herrsavage 09-24-2012 10:37 AM

:rolleyes: Typical fanboi mud-slinging....

OP, both classes are fun. And both HB models are world-class if you set them up and drive them right.. You don't have to have a Mugen(great though they may be - along with ten other brands...)

For me, the advantage of the truggy class is that it's a bit more "fun", and perhaps a notch less overly serious, as buggy can be. Buggy racing is kind of humorless, whereas I think there's still an element of fun in truggy.. (I recently switched back to truggy after having changed to buggy... I don't race often though - family obligations, etc..)

On the other hand truggy tires are very expensive.. Some say they don't wear as much as buggy tires, but I'm not sure about that..

You'll hear all kinds of different opinions here.. I say 1.) go to your local track and see what people run - a.) buggy numbers vs. truggy numbers, and b.) brands..., and 2.) go with your gut and get whatever floats your boat...

kgombe 09-24-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by gangstacoupe (Post 11247330)
Can you read? I was stating a simple fact, Tessman has won pretty much every big race this year with a hb.

It really it ticks me off the op says he is rather set on hb an is trying to decide between buggy or truggy. Not name off a few other brands because you may not care for the car in question.

i couldn't agree more

Eivind E 09-24-2012 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by fung_kyle (Post 11247287)
Any car being sold at the moment is capable of winning races

Thats a truth with modifications.
Any car driven and SET UP by a top level international racer could potentially win, that is true.

However some cars:
-are more difficult to set up than others
-need bigger changes to setup from track to track
-are not as reliable / durable (THINGS BREAK, or plastics wear out: premature sloppyness)
-are easier to succeed with for average people
-are more difficult to succeed with for average people

Once you apply these filters you are only really left with three viable cars
MBX6
MP9 TKI3
XB9

That's my opinion and I'm open to flaming all night long, I've got my asbestos underpants on, so you guys just go ahead and call me all the names you've got in the dictionary, I got broad shoulders and I can take it.

For me the Mp9 is probably the easiest to go fast with, people almost dont change their setups much from track to track. However it is not as durable as the MBX6.

The MBX6 is also easy to go fast with, but is not as "stuck to the track" as the Mp9 is. Having said that I am very happy with my MBX6 and I've raced all season with no failures, no DNF's, no problems - just regular maintainance like cleaning and air filter replacements.

Xb9 - as far as I can tell this is a very durable vehicle, but does not appear to be as fast as the MBX6 and MP9. Reno Savoya is a proven pilot who won three Euros in a row from what I remember, but now is reduced to 5th place finishes and such, after having switched to Xray from Mugen.
Similarly one of the local drivers where I drive, is a Xray team driver, and he is not dominating like he did before joining Xray. (I will not name him on here.)

Then there are "unreliable" vehicles, that are not durable, finicky to set up, there I rank JQ and Durango.