R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post
Were you breaking arms every race day?
No sir. I very seldom break anything. Also have to figure that my average race weekend will consume 1-2 gallons of fuel and thats not counting practice sessions in between races. I'll rebuild right before a race, run that race and usually try to get a practice or 2 in between races then rebuild for the next race. Earlier in the year I was racing on average every other weekend with 2 or 3 practices in between. Before I switched to Mugen I would replace the entire buggy every 4 gallons of fuel. The Mugen chassis wear better so its not needed. My current buggy has about 6 gallons on the chassis. After the JConcepts Southern Nationals it will be retired to a practice buggy. Already have a new buggy ready to replace it for the RC Pro National Finals.

R.I.P Matt "Reaper" Powers 09/24/1953 - 10/24/2013

Last edited by JamminSP; 09-19-2012 at 02:14 PM.
JamminSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #32
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Rsickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschultz View Post
I think there should be a class that you are allowed $40 / event, counting fuel. You could carry over what you might have left over each week. That would keep cost down and competition up. I know it would probably never happen but would be interesting...
How would a race director police that? Racers would have to show up with receipts and logs of their purchases.

I'm all for opening up the window to have spending caps for amateur racing, but it's got to be easy to enforce and realistic.
Rsickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamminSP View Post
No sir. I very seldom break anything. Also have to figure that my average race weekend will consume 1-2 gallons of fuel and thats not counting practice sessions in between races. I'll rebuild right before a race, run that race and usually try to get a practice or 2 in between races then rebuild for the next race. Earlier in the year I was racing on average every other weekend with 3 or 3 practices in between. Before I switched to Mugen I would replace the entire buggy every 4 gallons of fuel. The Mugen chassis wear better so its not needed. My current buggy has about 6 gallons on the chassis. After the JConcepts Southern Nationals it will be retired to a practice buggy. Already have a new buggy ready to replace it for the RC Pro National Finals.
Man that's burning some fuel, I'm normally only doing about half a gallon a weekend, sometimes less. I race about twice a month, I expect to get about a year out of the buggy. I rarely practice much. I seem to eat up chassis, on my third since April. Plastics get replaced when there is too much play. I tend to be pretty smooth, not as fast as I should be. If you tend to cartwheel the thing down the straight all the time, you might need to replace plastics and pins more often.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I don't see a reason to replace a whole car. My car is 7 months old, and is in amazing condition. I have replaced the chassis once. Other than that the bearings 2 times. Clutch bearings obviously as needed and checked quite often. Diffs get rebuilt once a month. Shocks also get done once a month. Arms were replaced once. Shaft pins and drives were done once.

Some of you guys must have some serious cash to burn. Either that or you're sponsored and don't have to pay for parts.
Fear Farm Raceway
JoePit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Shawn, what sort of race format do you guys run the use so much nitro?
is that just one car?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curacing2 View Post
Shawn, what sort of race format do you guys run the use so much nitro?
is that just one car?
On the state series its all day Friday practice. Saturday brings 3 rounds of qualifying and the mains. On the divisional level its all day Friday Practice, 4 rounds of quals on Saturday and all mains on Sunday. The National Finals run all day Wednesday practice, 3 rounds of quals on Thursday, 2 rounds of quals and C and below mains on Friday and A & B mains on Saturday. I have been only running buggy. Next season will bring nitro truggy into my schedule. The numbers are just an average. If I feel comfortable with the buggy and have the track down I will cut practice short and not burn as much fuel. My practice sessions at my local track normally consume 3/4-1 gallon of fuel on a Saturday.

R.I.P Matt "Reaper" Powers 09/24/1953 - 10/24/2013
JamminSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePit View Post
I don't see a reason to replace a whole car. My car is 7 months old, and is in amazing condition. I have replaced the chassis once. Other than that the bearings 2 times. Clutch bearings obviously as needed and checked quite often. Diffs get rebuilt once a month. Shocks also get done once a month. Arms were replaced once. Shaft pins and drives were done once.

Some of you guys must have some serious cash to burn. Either that or you're sponsored and don't have to pay for parts.
I feel exactly like you do.

---------"Blessed are those who get to race year round"---------
Rockthecatbox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My seasons are pretty short up here, 8 or 9 race weekends a year, maybe 2 or 3 gallons of fuel a year due to lack of practice time... My buggy has maybe 5 or 6 gallons through it. I'm pretty light on maintenance. Only replaced one arm ever because it cracked, shocks get rebuilt over winter and after that not touched unless they start leaking or I want to change weight. Diffs get torn down, new gaskets and new outdrive bearings only during winter as well, and at the same time I just replace all bearings in the car.

The only "per race weekend" maintenance I do is changing clutch bell bearings, blowing the car out and generally cleaning it up, and spraying silicon lube on all moving parts.

Being the end of its second season coming up I will probably change a few drive pins this winter as well, but everything else is still just fine. Diff outdrive cups starting to show a little wear but nothing too serious.

There's a big difference in maintenance required between a hobby racer, a serious club racer, and a pro level racer. If my car breaks during a race (which honestly it almost never does) it just means I don't get any points for our summer league that day but i'm just out there for fun anyway. If you're trying to maintain a sponsorship or something then being taken out because you didn't want to change some $1 bearings is pretty silly.
mdchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsickles View Post
How would a race director police that? Racers would have to show up with receipts and logs of their purchases.

I'm all for opening up the window to have spending caps for amateur racing, but it's got to be easy to enforce and realistic.
pieces and parts would have to be sold on site. tamper proof screws, use generic clutch and drive train part, etc... like i said probably never happen....
Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

WoW!!

My 8ight buggy started life as a 1.0 RTR in Aug 2007.
Guess what, I still run it, however over time it's been converted to a 2.0 RACE KIT.
2 chassis later, arms & bearings replaced every year and whatever breaks gets replaced.
Gallons are uncountable, but a guess would be 20-25ish ....

www.rcgears.net, www.carcar.ca, www.trukz.ca
Thanks to my Sponsor: Shred-A-Can Metal Recyclers LTD
www.shredacan.com
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #41
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
WoW!!

My 8ight buggy started life as a 1.0 RTR in Aug 2007.
Guess what, I still run it, however over time it's been converted to a 2.0 RACE KIT.
2 chassis later, arms & bearings replaced every year and whatever breaks gets replaced.
Gallons are uncountable, but a guess would be 20-25ish ....
Yeah there's nothing wrong with that. If a 3.0 came out I would upgrade. Until then this car will keep getting the love I have been giving it after every race weekend.

Lets face it... A brand spanking new car after one weekend looks no different than a car with 25 gallons on it.
Fear Farm Raceway
Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:

just saying, but if you ever wondered where that last second or so comes from..well yes. bearings seem legit..but that is also up to the brand of car you drive...my ex mugen was the car which bearings lasted the longest and when you needed to replace..it was usually only the 21mm outer hub bearings...the rest would last forever. If you say you change diff oils once a month, to me atleast you are saying you only do one race a month i change my oils after EVERY race...since the setup changes too much as the oil breaks down....no brainer. At a national We'll change oil every day over the weekend...shocks ill check if the rebound is still the same as i set it when i built it. A good baloon or boot can make shock oils last alot longer...but i usually change them every second or 3rd race. If you havnt had to change a clutch out in 7 monts of racing that also tells me you dont race as often....and again..coming back to my first post...almost all of wear and tear depends on your track layout. We also have tracks where you would go a whole year without having to replace much..then we have tracks where you better take a spare kit with you haha...some track layouts and surfaces just rip through toy cars like butter.....point and case...the Pattaya worlds...even the pros were destroying their cars every day and according to most of us they are supposed to be able to drive Ill GUARANTEE you after seeing the Argentina worlds track that there wont be as much if any failures for the top guys.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #43
Tech Elite

I'm a casual club racer and i see no need to change diff oils more than 2wice a month. If your diffs leak
(losi scte), then it's a different story. Bearings only need to be changed or clean when they become gritty. I really have had good luck with bearings and have had no major blowouts other than one in my 3 years in the hobby. Shocks need to be serviced every race weekend if you don't run rubber boots on the shafts.
My maintenance on my vehicles has really helped me not only do better in races, but get to know my vehicles better, inside and out.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #44
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
just saying, but if you ever wondered where that last second or so comes from..well yes. bearings seem legit..but that is also up to the brand of car you drive...my ex mugen was the car which bearings lasted the longest and when you needed to replace..it was usually only the 21mm outer hub bearings...the rest would last forever. If you say you change diff oils once a month, to me atleast you are saying you only do one race a month i change my oils after EVERY race...since the setup changes too much as the oil breaks down....no brainer. At a national We'll change oil every day over the weekend...shocks ill check if the rebound is still the same as i set it when i built it. A good baloon or boot can make shock oils last alot longer...but i usually change them every second or 3rd race. If you havnt had to change a clutch out in 7 monts of racing that also tells me you dont race as often....and again..coming back to my first post...almost all of wear and tear depends on your track layout. We also have tracks where you would go a whole year without having to replace much..then we have tracks where you better take a spare kit with you haha...some track layouts and surfaces just rip through toy cars like butter.....point and case...the Pattaya worlds...even the pros were destroying their cars every day and according to most of us they are supposed to be able to drive Ill GUARANTEE you after seeing the Argentina worlds track that there wont be as much if any failures for the top guys.
I race once or twice a week. Keep in mind these are club races, and I DO NOT get paid to race. This weekend for instance I'm heading to California for the Gas Champs. Car got a complete rebuild, and that's the way I will run it for the entire weekend. There is no way I'm spending endless hours a week working on cars without a pay check coming in.

I run a Buku clutch, and the shoes last approx 10 gallons. I recently switched over to TKO New Special clutch bearings, and from what I'm being told they last up to 5 gallons. If you ask anyone from my local track they will tell you my car shows up to the track for every race looking like it's new. I take care of my stuff.

By the way I race at the Fear Farm here in Arizona. As far as I'm concerned asides from having nice dirt this is one of the gnarliest tracks in the world. It is not very forgiving, and my car makers it to the finish line every race.
Fear Farm Raceway
Old 09-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Quote:
I race once or twice a week. Keep in mind these are club races, and I DO NOT get paid to race. This weekend for instance I'm heading to California for the Gas Champs. Car got a complete rebuild, and that's the way I will run it for the entire weekend. There is no way I'm spending endless hours a week working on cars without a pay check coming in.

I run a Buku clutch, and the shoes last approx 10 gallons. I recently switched over to TKO New Special clutch bearings, and from what I'm being told they last up to 5 gallons. If you ask anyone from my local track they will tell you my car shows up to the track for every race looking like it's new. I take care of my stuff.
Right now i'm using a sliding clutch and will upgrade to the buku soon. I too am using he tko clutch bearings and i will have to see how they hold up over time. So far the are super smooth and feel brand new. I have only used them for about 1/2 gallon so far.