Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Thunder Tiger St 1 fell into a massive puddle! PLEASE HELP!! >

Thunder Tiger St 1 fell into a massive puddle! PLEASE HELP!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thunder Tiger St 1 fell into a massive puddle! PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Unhappy Thunder Tiger St 1 fell into a massive puddle! PLEASE HELP!!

Hi everyone,
Well as the title suggest my St 1 fell into a massive puddle of muddy water. It happened after i climb over a hill and i failed to see what was over the hill. When i ran over to the car i realized it was complete submerge in 12 inches of muddy water!

Now everything seems ok, but the engine wont idle anymore. It will start only when some throttle is applied and is happy to go to WOT but wont idle.

So far this is what ive done;
-Taken out all the electronics. Servos rx etc and let it dried. Everything works.
-Opened the engine up, took the piston and sleeve out and soaked it into a bowl of nitro fuel.
-Flooded the whole chamber with WD40 to get all the muddy water and bits of debris, tiny dirt etc. Then flooded it with nitro fuel too.
-Flushed out fuel tank & fuel lines.
Then reassembled everything.

I had to do all this cause when i pulled the car out of the water the piston had seized and when i opened it up at home there was that much dirt in it i could hardly believe my eyes!

Anyway, my problem is that the car will start over but only if throttle is applied, will do WOT too but not idle. I havent changed my glow plug yet as i dont have anymore right now but it seems to be working fine.

What should i do? Buy a new engine?

And i forgot to add, i didnt the pullstart back on or the one way bearing that sits inside the pullstart as this has some how been chewed up. Would this effect the idle?

Please any input would be appreciated as im thinking of buying a new engine!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Tech Champion

Hmm.. Could be a lot of things.. As a very general tip, a bad clutch or bad clutch bearings can screw up how an engine runs - bad idle etc..

If there was mud and gunk and stuff in the engine, and you ran it like that, that could be bad.................

You could also try a new plug. If you've taken everything apart and put it back together, it could be that something somewhere isn't completely sealed..

A new air filter is needed too of course..

Could be OK - probably not if you ran it with mud inside it.. Lot of stuff to clean, check, etc..

An LRP Spec 3 .2/Losi 454/Dynamite Big Red would be good budget engines to look at... There are of course tons of options for a wide budget range too though..
Old 09-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Tech Champion

Hmm.. Could be a lot of things.. As a very general tip, a bad clutch or bad clutch bearings can screw up how an engine runs - bad idle etc..

If there was mud and gunk and stuff in the engine, and you ran it like that, that could be bad.................

You could also try a new plug. If you've taken everything apart and put it back together, it could be that something somewhere isn't completely sealed..

A new air filter is needed too of course..

Could be OK - probably not if you ran it with mud inside it.. Lot of stuff to clean, check, etc..

An LRP Spec 3 .2/Losi 454/Dynamite Big Red would be good budget engines to look at... There are of course tons of options for a wide budget range too though..
Old 09-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Yeah there was gunk mud etc in it but i took it out before i ran it again. I ran with the filter off for a few mins as the one i have right now is still dirty.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Check also if you put the piston the right way. The piston side which is longer should be in the exhaust port side. In had thesame problem when I was a newb. I installed it incorrectly. It will respond to wot but dies on idle.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i'm assuming ya took the clutch bell off..? if it's got sand in there i'm sure it would idle funny.