Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
AKA EVO 1/8 scale stiffer disc worth it ? >

AKA EVO 1/8 scale stiffer disc worth it ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AKA EVO 1/8 scale stiffer disc worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Default AKA EVO 1/8 scale stiffer disc worth it ?

I have a question about these are they really worth it since they stiffen the rim up and supposed to make your truggy or buggy jump better ? Do you notice a diffrence from not running them or running them ?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Put them on if you race at a smooth high-bite track. If you run at a bumpy, rutted track, take them off. They aren't really going to do anything for jumps, or making your buggy jump better.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Depends on what you want,

I run them just about all the time on the new Evo Truggy wheels. Keeps the mud from getting in the wheel webbing so much.

I think they work, but maybe not as good in all situations. For example, say you show up to a race and it's cool in morning practice, then warm during the heats and cool again for the mains. In that case what I have done is put the stiffeners in for the heats. The theory being that the wheels flex the most in the heat of the day, so with them in, the wheels feel more consistant through out the day of racing.

I have no solid proof that is what happens, just my thought on it.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Depends on what you want,

I run them just about all the time on the new Evo Truggy wheels. Keeps the mud from getting in the wheel webbing so much.

I think they work, but maybe not as good in all situations. For example, say you show up to a race and it's cool in morning practice, then warm during the heats and cool again for the mains. In that case what I have done is put the stiffeners in for the heats. The theory being that the wheels flex the most in the heat of the day, so with them in, the wheels feel more consistant through out the day of racing.

I have no solid proof that is what happens, just my thought on it.

Well the track i race at changes so much so its a toss up . I may just buy one set of them and try them out for the hell of it . On the East Coast during the fall season the weather changes so much compared to the west coast.

But i do love the fact that it keeps the mud out with the disc on !

There cheap anyways.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

TC,

The keep most of the mud out. Soem of the discs and wheels don't have the exact tight fit, but for the most part they do that job fine. Just be careful when washing the tires/wheels with them in. I've had some dust and dirt get behind the discs and throw the balance off.

As for the tracks,
There's a lot of different tracks that I have been to where I can't really tell if they work better with or without them in. I do know that on a high bite track, the corner speed improves with them in. I think of them to be ment more as a tuning aid, but I'm lazy and once I put them in, I'll leave them in. LOL.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On high bite tracks they work really well, basically it makes the wheel flex less underload, I also noticed that when using it on rutty tracks it makes the wheel skip smoothly over ruts since it's stiffer as opposed to make the car feel edgy, just my observations.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Yea i just bought a other pair of EVO Soft City block tires i was going to get the stiffners but its fall time in the east and the weather and tracks change so much its pointless to buy them . But next season i will come summer when it stays hot and thats when the stiffners are needed !