Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 worlds

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Dont they run semi's at the worlds with bump ups? Correct me if I am wrong but I think it is kind of like the twin races at the Daytona 500. Odd qualifiers are in one semi and the evens are in another. I think that TQ is the only one that is for sure in the final. Cody raced his way into the final in his semi if I remember right.

Last edited by YANMAN; 09-11-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Addict

Just my 2 cents cos I can't sleep...

I understand why there is a call for a league/point format to determine who the Worlds champ is but personally I feel that this would lessen the prestige of the Worlds.

Think about it. One race, one opportunity, one world champion. Yes the league format would crown the best driver/car combo throughout the entire year but sports on the biggest stage has always been about "the big game".

Lets look at the US Open for example. Throughout the entire tournament Djokovic was the best player. But in the final Murray emerged victorious. I know it's different but you can apply the same arguments to the one-off Worlds. If the US Open was in a league format, Djokovic who had dominated every match until the final would have been crowned the winner (If points were awarded for dominance) as opposed to Murray who had to fight for many of his matches. But the final, like the Worlds, is a one off competition and Murray pulled out an amazing win.

It's the same in the Worlds.... Yes big teams can put big money into the race and improve their chances.... And I feel its justified because it's the Worlds. But despite their big funding and overwhelming support - in a one off scenario, anything can happen... giving the underdogs a glimmer of hope.

Would Cody be world champion if he had to beat Hara 3 out of 4 times? I seriously doubt it but he was good enough on the day that mattered the most. For that one day he was the best and that's the beauty of sports.

On the topic of it being unfair to the lesser teams. The NBA pays its players millions to train with the latest technology and methods. No other countries come close which is why the US usually dominates basketball tournaments. Yes it's unfair to other countries but thats the nature of sports.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:26 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
It would be at least nice to see a triple a main.

I think the "crapshoot" format is kinda lame. Minus well just scream "Royal Rumble!" and give the trophy to the only guy who deosn't get tossed from the drivers stand.

I mean if all the drivers Q within a quarter second of each other and a good portion of the worlds fastest drivers are in the C main, it really is a "crapshoot". But it's a "crapshoot" that's going to sell a ton of gear to club level racers.

But hey, if the pro's are cool with it. Then maybe it's not so bad.

Or for those who are concerned about the cost of racing at this level.....why not just draw straws. That would be cheap, results would be about the same.
To be honest, I think you don't know what you are talking about. The worlds isn't a crapshoot, it's a week long event, where typically, the best guy wins. Occasionally the best guy suffers a setback and someone else wins, but that's racing.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JQ
To be honest, I think you don't know what you are talking about. The worlds isn't a crapshoot, it's a week long event, where typically, the best guy wins. Occasionally the best guy suffers a setback and someone else wins, but that's racing.
amen to that
Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Also, most of the time, you make your own luck, yes sometimes you just have pure bad luck, or pure good luck, stuff happens that you cannot control, or foresee. But I would say, most of the time, you make your own luck, through practice and preparation, and great driving on the day. The better you are the luckier you get, it really works that way.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

There is no such thing as luck. Either you win or you don't. Even with the your best preparation things happen. May the best man win. It will be interesting to watch.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

In 2008, neobuggy ran a poll on who would win the worlds, I was 1 of 2 people that picked Hara!

Luck has a certain amount to winning any race or other sport. Comparing sports that run a season long championships are considerably different than having that one good weekend or something with a much shorter time span. Simply the best doesn't win all the time, that's what makes sports so intriging. The NY Giants were a wild card team, the LA Kings were the 8th seed in their conference heading into the playoffs...on and on. Derrick Cope won the Daytona 500 once! Took Dale Sr. 20 trys to match the amount of Daytona 500's Derrick Cope won.

Comparing F1 and RC is pointless because whether it is 1 race or 20 races, F1 will still have 2-5 drivers with a legitimate shot at winning, yes if everybody encounterd issues a lower level team could win a GP(wouldn't that be luck though?"). In RC these days there's 2 dozen drivers, 4-5 car companies, multiple tire manf. all with equipment capable of winning the "earth's" lol
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
There is no such thing as luck. Either you win or you don't. Even with the your best preparation things happen. May the best man win. It will be interesting to watch.
Of course there is such a thing as luck.

Definition " The chance happening of fortunate or adverse events; fortune:" and "events that are beyond control and seem subject to chance; fortune"
Old 09-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eivind E
Isn't that exactly like almost every other sport in the world?
When they hold qualifications for 100M sprint in the olympics, a bunch of people who are a quarter of a second off the time miss out. That's how it works.
That's the idea of COMPETITION.

If you prefer to hold a charity ball, and just give out the prizes to whoever is more likeable then that's cool, but be honest about it and don't make it out to be something it isn't - qualification is fair, everyone has equal opportunity to qualify, and their level of PERFORMANCE is what decides their position.

Do you also think that the Super Bowl should be a best out of three event then?
Maybe that would be more fair to the runners up?
Or maybe it's better that you hold three different Super Bowls with six different teams, so everyone has a "fair chance"?

There can be only one winner and that's the entire idea of a competition.
There can be only X number of finalists, that's the entire idea of making people compete for their place in the finals.

The best driver on the day will be the winner, just like in every other sport.
If Barcelona have an off day on the soccer pitch, despite being huge favorites, then Chelsea will beat them in the champions league final, what do you wanna do about it, have a best out of six?

The entire argument is just flawed, whoever is best at the day deserves to win, he is the worthy champion, there's notsurfacehing "crapshoot" about it at all whatsoever.
Totally agree with this!! But i also think the layout/surface should b off limits until its fair for everyone
Old 09-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JQ
Ha..good that im not the only one with that opinon..
i like that one week WC Race...but i really would like it more without thoundands of training rounds 4 the big company drivers.
I guess that would make it more interesting with high talented but not so good payed drivers.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JQ
Of course there is such a thing as luck.

Definition " The chance happening of fortunate or adverse events; fortune:" and "events that are beyond control and seem subject to chance; fortune"
I'm well aware of the meaning of luck. Either it's meant to be or it's not. Luck indicates someone didn't deserve it. Making the most of a given opportunity is not luck to me. Destiny maybe. Let's give credit where it belongs.

If I win or lose it wasn't luck. It all depends on the lense you look through. Perspective is everything.

I'm OK with people not agreeing with me.

Thanks for the response JQ.

Since you believe in luck. Best of Luck at the worlds.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Ha

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
I'm well aware of the meaning of luck. Either it's meant to be or it's not. Luck indicates someone didn't deserve it. Making the most of a given opportunity is not luck to me. Destiny maybe. Let's give credit where it belongs.

If I win or lose it wasn't luck. It all depends on the lense you look through. Perspective is everything.

I'm OK with people not agreeing with me.

Thanks for the response JQ.

Since you believe in luck. Best of Luck at the worlds.
somone likes to hear themselves type.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:30 PM
JQ
Tech Master

If someone is leading a race and his receiver breaks, and it is one used for a few races, where it worked perfectly, and lets say the person has never had a problem like that before, and everything has been done like before. It is bad luck. The person in second at the time, then wins the race. The person with his first ever broken receiver is unlucky, and the person in 2nd who then won, is lucky. You cant argue with that, well you can, but it is pretty stupid.

Where I feel people go wrong, is when they say the guy who won, did so only because of luck, implying he didn't deserve it. I don't agree with that. anyone who can put themselves in a position to win a big race has put in alot of effort and time, and deserves to win. As far as the worlds are concerned, sometimes things go your way, sometimes they don't, but anyone who wins it, regardless of the circumstances, deserves it and has achieved something great. That's why I say most of the time you make your own luck. The guy with the broken receiver was unlucky. It happens. The guy in 2nd "made his own luck" by beating everyone else in the final.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Good luck is when preparation and talent meets opportunity.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nitro Downunder
My comment was not meant to be derogatory, inflammatory or disrespectful to anyone, but we continuously see the rest of the world gets forgotten in some peoples minds when we'er talking about world events and that everything should happen only in the USA.

*please note this is just a joke, I fully agree with you on your stance.

The current way the worlds are held its probably the best way to do it for a sport that is not the size of something like F1, Moto GP, Nascar or even soccer in america for that matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.