Old 10-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #301
Tech Elite

Someone just delete this darn thread.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #302
Tech Elite

Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Everyone has a bit of reason,but the way I see it is if you have international guests to race on your country it's expected to make them feel like home.Lack of preparation from both parts,now carry on.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #303
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
So basicly if you had taken every set of tyres, ran them for one lap, they would then have been second hand tyres and you'd have no problem bringing them within those rules.

They should take notice ahead of the worlds
I had this experience. Flew to a neighbouring country for a race. Decided to buy a couple of lipos on the way back.

Four of my week old dust covered lipos passed through customs with no issues... the 2 new packs (packaging already removed. Just that it looked shiny) held me up for close to 40 minutes at my local airport. Emphasis on m*my local*...
Driven with Sanwa M12
tak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #304
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Tooth View Post
Everyone has a bit of reason,but the way I see it is if you have international guests to race on your country it's expected to make them feel like home.Lack of preparation from both parts,now carry on.
+1. This guy gets it.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #305
Tech Master

You guys should reflect a bit more before you go belittling the Argentineans, because US customs isn't exactly a VIP red carpet ride with champagne and roses.
Eivind E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #306
Tech Elite

I havn't had any problems traveling from Canada to US in my RC travels.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #307
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Reilly View Post
I havn't had any problems traveling from Canada to US in my RC travels.
It's probably not the same for people who are from Canada and the US.

Let me give you a short briefing.
You have to first go online and pay $30 in order to get a ESTA approval, there you have to answer a bunch of questions like "Have you been a terrorist" or "Are you a part of an organized crime syndicate", "have you got a police record" - it's not always easy to discern what they consider significant in that regard.
Myself I have nothing on record, but other people have been disqualified for traffic incidents and such where they have been to court over excessive speeding on the motorway and had two weeks in jail because of that.

Then when you arrive in the US you have to stand in line for two hours before you reach a very offensive and insensitive individual who photographs you from the side, and then from the front. These are then placed "on record".

You then have to place your hands on a glass plate, where they scan not only your fingerprints but your entire hand and palm prints, these are then placed "on record".

The insensitive person then proceeds to give you the third degree interrogation.
They ask which places you intend to visit. If you are unsure where you intend to go, for example if you are not so interested in tourism, but just intend to hang out in Miami for a few days, that's not satisfactory and you are disqualified. You actually need to name a bunch of touristy places like the statue of liberty and the golden gate, if not you are on the next flight home.
They then proceed to ask if you have money. If you don't have 1500 usd in cash, you might be on the next flight home.
They'll have a bunch of questions lined up in order to give you a hard time, I could go on all day.

It's not at all pleasant, and you shouldn't belittle the argentineans, in fact from what you guys have described, it's less of a hassle than it is for me going to the US from Europe.
Eivind E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #308
Tech Elite

I could rant for a long time about what you are saying. Although I don't agree with much of what is being done. I understand they are doing there best to protect the country and it's people.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #309
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
It's probably not the same for people who are from Canada and the US.

Let me give you a short briefing.
You have to first go online and pay $30 in order to get a ESTA approval, there you have to answer a bunch of questions like "Have you been a terrorist" or "Are you a part of an organized crime syndicate", "have you got a police record" - it's not always easy to discern what they consider significant in that regard.
Myself I have nothing on record, but other people have been disqualified for traffic incidents and such where they have been to court over excessive speeding on the motorway and had two weeks in jail because of that.

Then when you arrive in the US you have to stand in line for two hours before you reach a very offensive and insensitive individual who photographs you from the side, and then from the front. These are then placed "on record".

You then have to place your hands on a glass plate, where they scan not only your fingerprints but your entire hand and palm prints, these are then placed "on record".

The insensitive person then proceeds to give you the third degree interrogation.
They ask which places you intend to visit. If you are unsure where you intend to go, for example if you are not so interested in tourism, but just intend to hang out in Miami for a few days, that's not satisfactory and you are disqualified. You actually need to name a bunch of touristy places like the statue of liberty and the golden gate, if not you are on the next flight home.
They then proceed to ask if you have money. If you don't have 1500 usd in cash, you might be on the next flight home.
They'll have a bunch of questions lined up in order to give you a hard time, I could go on all day.

It's not at all pleasant, and you shouldn't belittle the argentineans, in fact from what you guys have described, it's less of a hassle than it is for me going to the US from Europe.
+1, and even before you even think about going...(atleast from over here)...you have to pay the US embassy around $120 JUST to get the oppertunity to phone them to make an appointment...you literally pay some predetermined approved "3rd party " working for the embassy for a phone card with a silly number on it haha, only then can you call them directly an after that, only then you get an appointment to go through that harassment really hilariously hollywood crap almost.
A close friend graduated at the top of our class while finishing our masters degrees and got invited to the US and MIT and almost decided to stick it to them because of all this lol.
but i guess every place has their rules i and the only thing Elvind and alot of others are saying here is that people should not be so quick to point fingers...like i said..it is the same EVERYWHERE...just in different forms. i think paying $120 for the oppertuninty to make an appointment to get asked if i am the T-word is corrupt
Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #310
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Someone just delete this darn thread.
and this^
Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #311
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

@sideshowbob.. again i will say this.. customs duties and taxation is fine.. but when you don't want to ISSUE A RECEIPT .. its call corruption...

say all you want.. that is the biggest thing i took away from Mr. Kings report.. and no one will address that but dance around it..
Old 10-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #312
Tech Master

maybe they were out of paper LOL...ok ok..im out..this thread i getting lame anyway. cheers
Old 10-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #313
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
maybe they were out of paper LOL...ok ok..im out..this thread i getting lame anyway. cheers
sigh.... way to dodge an obvious fact with a joking statement after your serious post and explanation...

press on wisely...
Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #314
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dealing with the U.S. customs is not always that easy. We have corruption in the U.S. too. Hell getting to "play" with the T.S.A. agents at the airports these days is a load of fun!

Who cares? It's an imperfect world..... One could say that paying $28 for a pair of 1/8 scale buggy tires that cost the manufacturer $5 might seem like corruption to some people. Others will see as "free market".

One thing is for certain...no one is forcing anyone to go to this race...people choose to go.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #315
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Will View Post
Dealing with the U.S. customs is not always that easy. We have corruption in the U.S. too. Hell getting to "play" with the T.S.A. agents at the airports these days is a load of fun!

Who cares? It's an imperfect world..... One could say that paying $28 for a pair of 1/8 scale buggy tires that cost the manufacturer $5 might seem like corruption to some people. Others will see as "free market".

One thing is for certain...no one is forcing anyone to go to this race...people choose to go.
but we still get a receipt... LOL.. which is proof of purchase/ paying...