Wiki Posts
Search

What is considered "bashing"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default What is considered "bashing"?

I have a rc8b that is 10 bolts away from being a rc8.2... I bought it used, wasn't happy with the body's I got with the buggy. I bought new, custom painted, body's. I have run my original body for at least 2 1/2 gallons of fuel, no cracks, what so ever. So, when I see an add for a buggy that has never been bashed, but in the next sentence, says the body has cracks! How does that happen if your not bashing? I run my stuff hard, but no cracks, what. So ever!!!! Makes me say, hmmmm....
Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

True racing can be just as hard on equipment as bashing... There's no putzing it around. It's usually all (a 'controlled' all) or nothing.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"bashing" simply means something other than racing on track...
Old 08-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imaxx21
"bashing" simply means something other than racing on track...
I would agree "Bashing" is just a generic term used for non racing and or non orginized racing.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Ok, have cart wheeled, endowed, one wheeled, scared the shit out of myself! Never cracked a body! How do you do that? I've inavertly tried, and tried hard. I guess I'm not bashing, what so ever. I have a clocked b6 pro that screams, so it's not lack of power or speed. Am amazed how much of a beating these things will take without breaking...
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rsickles
True racing can be just as hard on equipment as bashing... There's no putzing it around. It's usually all (a 'controlled' all) or nothing.
So true. I've broken more parts racing than I ever did bashing.
Racing is all out all the time. If you don't have control while doing so its far easier to break something.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Originally Posted by sschultz
Ok, have cart wheeled, endowed, one wheeled, scared the shit out of myself! Never cracked a body! How do you do that? I've inavertly tried, and tried hard. I guess I'm not bashing, what so ever. I have a clocked b6 pro that screams, so it's not lack of power or speed. Am amazed how much of a beating these things will take without breaking...
Sometimes there are some ways a body might hit something and crack. Its lexan, not indestructible, I have seen a broken body once, not common but it happens.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Tech Champion

Bashing is just having fun with RC's, without all the sphincter-clenching uptightness that goes with racing - you know, obsessing about drilling shock pistons, measuring millimeters of this or that, constantly changing diff oils, etc..
Old 08-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

When buying a used RC and it is described as "raced only, never bashed" to me that means that there was more maintenance done on the vehicle and it is probably in decent shape (depending on the skill of the mechanic of course). Bashed vehicles are not maintained as well as a racer IMHO. The guy just wants to drive it, not wrench on it. As well all know stuff can go bad real quick without the maintenance.

Back to the owner as the mechanic topic. I bought a Truggy that was raced only for about 1 gallon according to the description. At first glance it looked cosmetically tip-top. All of the plastics and shocks had no wear, so yes it was not ran much, but under the hood with the important stuff like difs and shimming and bearing maintenance it was a wreck. Wrong screws everywhere. Shock tower mounting holes were wallowed out from where they let the link get loose (no maintenance) and had to replace a new looking shock tower. it was assembled badly and I had to do a complete rebuild and replace a lot of hardware. Stripped screws everywhere. Watch out for the imcompetent mechanic and be prepared to rebuild and replace

Just saying....

Last edited by afr0sch; 08-25-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As far as the broken body, i'll introduce you to a new term. Hackfest! LOL We have a practice body that has a few cracks and we can tell by watching practice if we need to run it or not.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by afr0sch
When buying a used RC and it is described as "raced only, never bashed" to me that means that there was more maintenance done on the vehicle and it is probably in decent shape (depending on the skill of the mechanic of course). Bashed vehicles are not maintained as well as a racer IMHO. The guy just wants to drive it, not wrench on it.

It really depends upon the owner. I've spent twice as much time wrenching on and cleaning my Wraith then I ever have on any of my race rigs, and the Wraith has never seen a track.

Racers are surprised when something breaks and bashers are surprised when something doesn't break...but as far as maintenance, it just comes down to the individual.

Would clearing a 40' triple at 15' in the air for 25+ laps during a main qualify as bashing? My vehicles have never seen abuse like that off the track, and I am not kind to them.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Bashing is just having fun with RC's, without all the sphincter-clenching uptightness that goes with racing - you know, obsessing about drilling shock pistons, measuring millimeters of this or that, constantly changing diff oils, etc..
I love your answer! I guess that somes it up... I have 2 1/2 gallons on my rc8.2 and have only changed tires and filter elements. I've read about guys changing clutch bearings after each heat! That's insane to me! I've had a rc10gt since 98 with god only knows how many gallons of fuel threw it, probably 8, and have never changed a bearing on it. And yes, I routinely check them....
Old 08-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sschultz
I love your answer! I guess that somes it up... I have 2 1/2 gallons on my rc8.2 and have only changed tires and filter elements. I've read about guys changing clutch bearings after each heat! That's insane to me! I've had a rc10gt since 98 with god only knows how many gallons of fuel threw it, probably 8, and have never changed a bearing on it. And yes, I routinely check them....
What is that old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Once you start contending for wins, you tend to take preventitive maintenance more seriously. I myself don't want to spend all week preping my car just to have a $1 bearing fail, cost me a race, and probably screw up more expensive parts. New bearings every round is a bit excessive. I usually change them at a half gallon. $2 insurance to not dnf because of clutch bearing failure is well worth it to me.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Bashing is running your vehicle any place other than a track and getting a grin on your face.

Racing is running your vehicle on a track and getting a sphincter clinching, adrenaline rush.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
What is that old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Once you start contending for wins, you tend to take preventitive maintenance more seriously. I myself don't want to spend all week preping my car just to have a $1 bearing fail, cost me a race, and probably screw up more expensive parts. New bearings every round is a bit excessive. I usually change them at a half gallon. $2 insurance to not dnf because of clutch bearing failure is well worth it to me.
^THIS. "bragging" about not having had to change bearings ever, to me atleast, means a car has the potential to let you down without notice. I took a chance ONCE with clutch bearings during a amain, because i though," meh, they feel fine". i was running in second place. Coming into the pits i could hear something was up....the car was eating the spur gear..sounded like a loose chain . i thought...10 min to go...ill try and go for it and get my 2nd place...like any true racer...balls to the wall haha.
well the car just got worse and worse, ended the race in third place eventually. THEN i got to see what my relapse in OCD cost me...2$ bearings broke 200$ worth of parts on my car. Tank, spur, bell, 4 shoe clutch and flywheel, top plate, shaft nd took a decent amount out of my chassis as well.

We race by a saying around here, and it applies to everyone:

Luck can be described as the culmination of preparation and oppertunity at the right time...leave one out of that equation and luck = 0 lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.