Wiki Posts
Search

fuel tank repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default fuel tank repair

I have a used losi 8 buggy and the front bearing of the clutch bell went out and rubbed the tank and put a small hole in it what can i fix it with untill I can order a new one?
Old 08-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fordman86
I have a used losi 8 buggy and the front bearing of the clutch bell went out and rubbed the tank and put a small hole in it what can i fix it with untill I can order a new one?
Awwww man... Been through that one. I wish there was another way to fix it. Due to all the troubles stemming from possible air leaks, maintaining pressure in the tank, and losing fuel, I just ordered a new one.

I'm sure someone here will have a good idea though.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Lord

The only succes I had was with melting another piece of plastic to it.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure Shoe Goo will help if you clean off the nitro and oil around the hole.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Not worth it, way too easy to cause a lean condition and kill engines. Get a new one you cheapo!

Remember back when AE couldn't make a decent fuel tank for the RC8 and everyone was popping engines left and right. That was just a minor leak and a few air bubbles every once in a while that would cause us to have a tune that goes way rich, then back to a air leak lean condition. But some unlucky racers tuned while there was no air bubbles, then the engine went super lean durning the mains and cooked.

CA a small piece of aluminum sheet metal to the back of the tank to prevent it from happening as often.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

i had this happen to me twice on my mugen...the front of the bell is VERY close to the back of the tank. i wont ever build another buggy without doing what Zerodefect mentions. It works. If it is not a severe hole, or not actually through yet and you really want to fix it...ill use Qbond or something similar or eoxy like. we use Qbond to stick those little fuel line holder clips to the tank and they never come off again...ever. So maybe sand the area over and around the hole...put a generous amount of Qbond on there and stick either a peice of AL or carbon fibre or something on there, that way you vover thehole, overlap it and have protection from the bell...it SHOULD do the trick. Once it is set and dry after a day or so, close one of the nipples off on the tank, put soem tube on the other and pop it in a sink filled with water and blow on that thing as hard as you can to see if any air buble come out...if not, it will be just fine, your pipe cant replicate that amount of pressure
Old 08-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

My clutch bell hit the tank also, I'm headed to wicked weekend and don't want to come home early cause the bell went through so this is my fix. Cut a small piece of roof flashing and jb welded that sucker in place and bam!!! There you have it!!
I caught it before the bell made a hole in the tank... Must have been all those lawn darts I did lol
Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I'm going to get another one but until it gets here would like to drive it since I just got it. Was thinking about shoe goo or something like that but didn't know what wouldn't be affected by nitro.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

check with tony. he may have a spare.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (87%+)

Originally Posted by fordman86
I'm going to get another one but until it gets here would like to drive it since I just got it. Was thinking about shoe goo or something like that but didn't know what wouldn't be affected by nitro.
shoe goo will work for a couple tanks untill the fuel starts eating through it.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I built a shield out of some sheet alumminum. Its pretty good. Took me a couple of tries to get it right and not cause any clearance issues. My 4th version ended up being the best. It covers the back to protect against the clutch and moves up the side to act as a heat shield against the pipe. Just wasting time one day, I noticed a 30 degree drop in fuel tank temp but havent checked for any performance enhancement. If I find there is some, I will start to mass produce them and take over the world
Old 08-17-2012, 05:35 AM
dia
Tech Apprentice

I have converted my tank to clunk, and i shielded the hole that the original fuel nipple was
with a short larger diameter set screw coverend with lucky7 engine sealant and never had any issues.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

automotive panel adhesive (2 part epoxy) will stand up to nitro fuel and give your tank a good seal. I've used it once but I'm lucky enough to have the stuff laying around, the epoxy will likely cost more than a tank. The only good thing is it is readily available at an auto parts store.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I use this to prevent it.

clique
Old 08-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Or just run one of these.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.