Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Getting back into 1/8th scale, what would you do if you where me? >

Getting back into 1/8th scale, what would you do if you where me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into 1/8th scale, what would you do if you where me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting back into 1/8th scale, what would you do if you where me?

Okay, I recently after 7 years or so got a wild hair up my butt and bought a used revo, a new motor, and that was fun for a gallon. Then the bug bit me and I want to get back into club racing. I was planning on waiting and saving up some scratch and getting a losi rtr, bc it came with the best radio, and a bump box. For a little back ground I used to race a B4 Factory Team kit, Losi xxx-nt adam drake, and then moved to an ofna 9.5 ( fully decked out with 3 torsens and every other hop up, then moved to a mugen mbx4 then mbx4r worlds before I got out of it

Flash forward a few weeks and I ended up grabbing a cheap ( so I though ) hyper 7 off craigslist for 75 bucks rtr with am radio that turned out to be a ( altho mint ) crap bucket Ofna LX comp 2. So I rebuilt all the diffs, bought a sport werkz .21 from an old friend with a JP1 pipe for another 75 bucks. I also bought a new ofna chrome top bump box, and gel cell. Found issues with the radio so now I'm back to dead in the water. I also threw in an old Hitec 525mg in the steering slot.

So now I am confused on what to do. I was originally planning on gearing this ofna up, getting some practice laps in, then eventually moving the radio and motor to a new chassis ( thinking JQ the car ). If I chose to do that I need to buy a 2.4 radio system ( I am thinking either a m11 or spektrum ). That should get me rolling, and if I dont get stuck with chassis issues, I can grab a new steering servo. Plus I need a real rx pack, using 4 double a's now.

Question 1-
Will my old Hitec 525mg be a decent throttle brake servo if I get a nice digital servo for my steering?

That should get me on the track, with decent gear and a crap kit. With;

75 into the motor pipe combo
atleast 100 bucks into a decent second hand radio
another 75 into a decent used servo, possibly 2 if question one is a no.
140 into the box, battery, charger
another 30 into a rx pack
Plus 75 bucks into the chassis that I am counting a loss

That's 570 dollars into a CRAP Ofna basher buggy that I still need to buy a used roller or new kit for

Now I am thinking of just waiting till late September and getting the RTR JQ car.

Seems to come with a decently equipped radio, a nice motor I could slap a back plate on, and use my werks for a back up. and decent servos that will probably last me at least a season. That would put me at;

400 for the car
140 for the box

That's 540 into a decent race ready buggy, plus I still have my back up motor and pipe. ( I still have all my old tools, camber gauges, glow stick, rx bat charger, as well as some old and new diff fluids )

I am thinking that would get me on the track, in a competitive state. I have never been the type that needed the latest and greatest, always worked more on my driving ability than saving for the next new kit ( although I did drop like 900 on the mugen worlds kit lol )

I think if I went the jq route, the eventual upgrades would be shocks, and transmitter/rx

But if I got into it and decided I wasn't really as into racing as buying new toys, I could probably sell the car, box, radio, extra motor, for 400 bucks, and cut a very small loss. If I decided to stick with it, for another 500 bucks I could have a hell of a set up, down to an EZ up for race day...

If I stick with the ofna I will be up and running sooner, on the track and re learning how to drive, but probably dealing with constant chassis failures and with still shoddy radio gear that will eventually need upgraded...

What do you guys think??