R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)
Default Travel with an car in your carry on?

Hey guys. Kinda a strange question but has anyone flown with a buggy and a radio in their carry on? I am driving to AZ and hauling some of my extra stuff down to leave there (including the vehicle we drive) so when I go down to visit its there and all i need to bring is my buggy and radio on the plane. I still need my buggy back home to finish up our offroad season. Obviously draining the fuel and cleaning it would take place but is there any reason I couldnt do it?

Last edited by ROSCOE; 08-14-2012 at 06:43 AM.
ROSCOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSCOE View Post
Hey guys. Kinda a strange question but has anyone flown with a buggy and a radio in their carry on? I am driving to AZ and hauling some of my extra stuff down to leave there including the vehicle we drive so when I go down to visit its there and all i need to bring is my buggy and radio on the plane. I still need my buggy back home to finish up our offroad season here. Obviously draining the fuel and cleaning it would take place but is there any reason I couldnt do it?
ur best bet is to ship it down b4 u go. this way there is no chance of problems at the airport.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSCOE View Post
Hey guys. Kinda a strange question but has anyone flown with a buggy and a radio in their carry on? I am driving to AZ and hauling some of my extra stuff down to leave there (including the vehicle we drive) so when I go down to visit its there and all i need to bring is my buggy and radio on the plane. I still need my buggy back home to finish up our offroad season. Obviously draining the fuel and cleaning it would take place but is there any reason I couldnt do it?
I've flown out of DCA, JAX, and ATL with gear. I have an Ogio bag and fit everything in there (radio included). I wrap my rig in bubble wrap or towels. I make sure there is no fuel residue ON the car and IN the fuel tank and fuel bottles.

Prior to flying, look at the airline websites to see what their restricted items are - they change frequently. This is important for batteries as some airlines won't let you bring them as carryons. Also, call the airlines at the airports you will be traveling to/from and explain to them what gear you are bringing.

This seems like a pain in the scrote, but I've traveled w/ my gear many times with no issues.

Another option, if to have your stuff mailed. I remember sending my batteries (lipo) to the hotel i was staying at a week before the race.
305M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I've flown all over the country with my stuff, and have done it in two ways:

1. Use a Trinity/Racer's Edge/Protek/K-Factory type large 1/8 Car Hauler Bag, and put the buggy in the bottom drawer along with tools/parts/etc. Check the bag, and I got it to a spot where it comes in just under 50 lbs to avoid overweight fees.

2. Check or Ship your parts/tools/etc, and put the buggy in a duffle bag. Make sure the engine is clean (try to start it for awhile with no fuel source so it all burns, and remove the fuel tank and line. Just bring a new fuel tank and line and install it when you get there.

Both worked well, but I preferred #1. Luckily never had an issue with getting the bag lost. I think it was a "special bag" that was big, bulky, and different, so it might have recieved a bit of special attention during handling.
lknracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have flown international, make sure there is NO fuel in it, make sure you have NO tools and you will be fine. I took my NT1 to Singapore and had no problems, I feel better knowing how much money I have in my radio and car having it IN the plane WITH me, and not in a bag getting thrown around, dropped and kicked.

Once again make sure you have NO TOOLS and NO FUEL you will be fine, I had a Lipo in both my car and radio and had NO issues
jeromerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

No batteries in cabin. It is NOT allow.

When you check your luggage in.

Do take extra caution if you have LIPO batteries.
1. Seal it in a LIPO sack
and
2. then put in a metal box for extra precaution measure.

LIPO batteries are extremely volatile and can be very dangerous if you don't take measure and flying.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Rsickles

It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with applicable tarrifs if you are flying domestic, Montreal Convention (international), and the airlines' policies on luggage claims (your liability), etc.

Airlines are protected from having unlimited liability if your luggage is lost/stolen/damaged/etc.
Rsickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Tech Elite

NO!

Ship it as luggage. Get a really nice Pelican Case with wheels. You can fit all your stuff in one big case.

Or just ship it FedEx. You can put a lock on it, ship it with insurance, and FedEx will hold it for you at the store. I'd be sure to call the recieving store just to double check so that both ends know about eachother. I've done this before and it works great. Since it never leaves FedEx's hands until it reaches your hands, they're responsible for it. Easier to claim insurance and all that.

You can also ship to your hotel, but then who's responsible if it gets lost?

Don't be one of those chumps with the giant carry ons filled ith useless junk that makes everyones flight a complete pain in the (insert expletive here). If you are that person, we (the airline workers union) will have no choice but to sneak a giant vibrator into your luggage before your next luggage scan.

How do you plan on getting a radio and complex car past the TSA checkpoints anyways? If some guy whips out an Airtronics M11x out of his luggage, expect nearly 117.5 people to scream and hit the deck covering thier heads with thier hands. And then you get to go sit in a padded cell for a while, until the TSA lackys determine what kind of threat your radio was to national security.

[rant mode on]

If your carry on luggage is so huge it hits Zerodefect in the leg or head while he's busy flirting with the stewardess, Zerodefect will get pissed and violent.

If your stupid carry on takes up all the overhead bins and Zerodefect can't find a spot for his Supermodel girlfriends tiny little purse, Zerodefect will get mighty upset.

If you have any carry on larger than the smallest backpack at an elementary school, but don't have any serious health problems, Zerodefect will call you an idiot and throw rotton fruit towards your general direction. (seriously WTF do you need on a plane anyways, use your luggage, or take the bus)

If you have no idea how to pack and bring a ton of carry ons onto the plane and get in everyones way making Americans look stupid and foolish in front of all the other foreighn passengers who know how to pack and travel light. Zerodefect is going to be embarrassed, and possibly throw a rotton stewardess towards your general direction.

If you jump out of your seat and clog the isle 10 minutes before the planes doors open preventing Zerodefect from getting to his supermodel girlfriends purse that's in an overhead bin 12+ rows away because of all your darn stupid carry on luggage, Zerodefect is going to completely flip out.

I can't fly during the holidays anymore because of all this foolishness. If you don't need it on an airplane, then don't bring it into the airplane. Unless you're planning to have a nitro race in 1st class, let the luggage handlers do thier job.

[rant mode off, you may carry on with your regular scheduled programming]

Sorry for the harsh words. Consider it "tough love".
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
NO!

Ship it as luggage. Get a really nice Pelican Case with wheels. You can fit all your stuff in one big case.

Or just ship it FedEx. You can put a lock on it, ship it with insurance, and FedEx will hold it for you at the store. I'd be sure to call the recieving store just to double check so that both ends know about eachother. I've done this before and it works great. Since it never leaves FedEx's hands until it reaches your hands, they're responsible for it. Easier to claim insurance and all that.

You can also ship to your hotel, but then who's responsible if it gets lost?

Don't be one of those chumps with the giant carry ons filled ith useless junk that makes everyones flight a complete pain in the (insert expletive here). If you are that person, we (the airline workers union) will have no choice but to sneak a giant vibrator into your luggage before your next luggage scan.

How do you plan on getting a radio and complex car past the TSA checkpoints anyways? If some guy whips out an Airtronics M11x out of his luggage, expect nearly 117.5 people to scream and hit the deck covering thier heads with thier hands. And then you get to go sit in a padded cell for a while, until the TSA lackys determine what kind of threat your radio was to national security.

[rant mode on]

If your carry on luggage is so huge it hits Zerodefect in the leg or head while he's busy flirting with the stewardess, Zerodefect will get pissed and violent.

If your stupid carry on takes up all the overhead bins and Zerodefect can't find a spot for his Supermodel girlfriends tiny little purse, Zerodefect will get mighty upset.

If you have any carry on larger than the smallest backpack at an elementary school, but don't have any serious health problems, Zerodefect will call you an idiot and throw rotton fruit towards your general direction. (seriously WTF do you need on a plane anyways, use your luggage, or take the bus)

If you have no idea how to pack and bring a ton of carry ons onto the plane and get in everyones way making Americans look stupid and foolish in front of all the other foreighn passengers who know how to pack and travel light. Zerodefect is going to be embarrassed, and possibly throw a rotton stewardess towards your general direction.

If you jump out of your seat and clog the isle 10 minutes before the planes doors open preventing Zerodefect from getting to his supermodel girlfriends purse that's in an overhead bin 12+ rows away because of all your darn stupid carry on luggage, Zerodefect is going to completely flip out.

I can't fly during the holidays anymore because of all this foolishness. If you don't need it on an airplane, then don't bring it into the airplane. Unless you're planning to have a nitro race in 1st class, let the luggage handlers do thier job.

[rant mode off, you may carry on with your regular scheduled programming]

Sorry for the harsh words. Consider it "tough love".

Could not have been said funnier...
305M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Tech Adept

I have flown with the car in my hand luggage, make sure that if it is clean with no traces of fuel I even wash with soap tank of gas, the lipo battery with me in its special case, the council reviews the page airline
http://www.cocinasdada.com
http://www.race-monitor.com
morocho1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
Tech Elite

I can't even get 2oz of shampoo or a funky keychain past TSA. No idea how ya'll are getting complete nitrobuggies past them.

Have you done this recently?
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I just flew from AZ to NJ and back. Just like posted above, crammed all my rc shit in an Ogio roller bag and carried on my m11. No issues. Id be confident carrying on my buggy as well, but i didnt
Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

You guys are giving people ideas next time there's a issue you might have been the cause.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
I can't even get 2oz of shampoo or a funky keychain past TSA. No idea how ya'll are getting complete nitrobuggies past them.

Have you done this recently?
I just flew to Thailand with my 1/8 nitro buggy to practice and for the Asian championship in Pattaya Thailand. Once again why pay money for shipping? I mean WTF???????? Do NOT bring tools on the plane, just your buggy and radio, check everything else you need, tools, starter box (I carried on my buggy, starter box and remote) If you do not put extra things in your carry on sized bag you can fit a buggy, tires, starter box and remote easily and even a few towels to wrap things up and be undersize for the overhead bins. Trust me I fly all over the world and have yet to have problems (accept when I forgot my tool pouch was in my carry on bag) Even when that happened they were able to catch one of my checked bags and allow me to transfer the tools to it. Had they not caught it they would have simply checked my carry on bag at the door of the airplane like they did my friend who was flying with me.

People are insane that are telling you to ship it, why spend extra money and then risk it not showing up, sure it is insured but do you know how long it takes to get a claim filed and then the return??????? I will tell you it takes at least 30 days before they will even START to process your claim, they do this to make sure it doesn't turn up. Then it usually takes another 30 days before they will agree on your amount or to even pay you. Then another 30 days for their check to your door. A lot of good a check 90 days later and how many races you have missed???? I also know this because it was me 2 years ago, this is why I started to do the carry on thing. When I first started I forgot to empty the fuel all the way out there was just a little in it, not enough to even attempt to run, but enough to pool up in a corner. They warned me and let it through because it was under the limit. After that no problem. I have flown into Atlanta, Chicago, San Fransisco, Dallas, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore, all within the last year and each time with my car in the carry on bag and they ALL went over my seat.

Do what you want, it might be safer to check your batteries but I never do, hell cell phones have batteries as do cameras, and laptops and they don't make you check them..........
jeromerc is offline   Reply With Quote