R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Durable, waterproof, tough bashers. Alternatives?

Hi RC fans!

After 10 years of inactivity, I want to start all over with a durable car for muddy woods, snowy hills, beaches, heavy sandpits etc. No need for super high-speed, but proper acceleration. And I dont need it to be a submarine, but a atleast waterproof for puddles, snow etc.
Driving sessions will be around 2hours (+/- 30mins), so even with the new LiPos, nitro will be my only way right? (if I am not wanting to invest 400bucks into batterys!?).

I am aware that nitros will need more maintanence than an electro equivalent. But it should be the least simple so no need to prepare the car 30+ mins before every ride out.

After a few days of research I found the HPI Bullet 3.0 models, which are close to what I was looking for (it can be a bit more pricey and real-car-look-alike tho). Also I red alot about new Traxxas Modells having waterproof servos and cases.
But ofcourse I am lacking all the 1st hand experiences if it comes to longevity, toughness etc.
And unfortunately in the town I live there is only one decent RC store, and its focused on planes n boats :/

So I hope its not to much to ask for some help better advise here

Thanks alot in advance!

Cheers!

Robert
RickBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Rsickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
... a durable car for muddy woods, snowy hills, beaches, heavy sandpits etc...
... atleast waterproof for puddles, snow etc...
... Driving sessions will be around 2hours (+/- 30mins)...
... should be the least simple so no need to prepare the car 30+ mins before every ride out...
Sorry, there is nothing out there that meets your criteria. It is almost unrealistic.

-----

Unless you are lightly driving around in a circle, 2hrs of bashing is some serious abuse. You'll likely be wrenching on something within those 2hrs if you are bashing. You couldn't even run 2hrs without having to change the receiver battery (even 2300mah LiPo packs can't run that long). Two hours of runtime is more than half a gallon of fuel. Nitro engines, especially any RTR engine that is seriously bashed, would be hard pressed to run beyond several gallons. If you are running on salty beaches, mud, etc, you will be rebuilding your car after almost every run. You can waterproof the electronics, but the bearings won't last more than a couple runs... especially once they get foreign debris in them and you shelf it. You will probably have to do more than 30 minutes of wrenching regardless of the car.

You will probably be a little better off with a 1/5th scale gas, but I don't have any insight/experience for you there.
Rsickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Hi RC fans!

After 10 years of inactivity, I want to start all over with a durable car for muddy woods, snowy hills, beaches, heavy sandpits etc. No need for super high-speed, but proper acceleration. And I dont need it to be a submarine, but a atleast waterproof for puddles, snow etc.
Driving sessions will be around 2hours (+/- 30mins), so even with the new LiPos, nitro will be my only way right? (if I am not wanting to invest 400bucks into batterys!?).

I am aware that nitros will need more maintanence than an electro equivalent. But it should be the least simple so no need to prepare the car 30+ mins before every ride out.

After a few days of research I found the HPI Bullet 3.0 models, which are close to what I was looking for (it can be a bit more pricey and real-car-look-alike tho). Also I red alot about new Traxxas Modells having waterproof servos and cases.
But ofcourse I am lacking all the 1st hand experiences if it comes to longevity, toughness etc.
And unfortunately in the town I live there is only one decent RC store, and its focused on planes n boats :/

So I hope its not to much to ask for some help better advise here

Thanks alot in advance!

Cheers!

Robert
And I want $10 billion dollars plus the Dutch Women's Field Hockey Team for whatever comes to mind...

Seriously though, an Axial Wraith might be an option for you. Won't be super high speed. It will handle water, mud, snow and sand with the proper preparation. Get a Waterproof Holmes BRXL ESC, a good brushed motor and waterproof a high-torque servo. Or possibly the Traxxas Velineon Waterproof brushless system if you don't plan on doing crawling.

I run the Novak Timbuk2 in mine with a 13.5T brushless crawler motor. Not water friendly, but I get well over 2 hours of runtime with a 8000mAh LiPo.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Tough Choice

Traxxas makes a lot of very nice cars that are "waterproof" in both nitro and electric. The problem it that even though the electronics might be waterproof, the drive train neverever is. Even the rubber shielded bearings get moister in them and need clean up regularly. Plus chassis's get dirty and cruddy so that means a complete tear down and rebuild to clean everything.
Actually I really have to agree, I have my wraith set up with an LRP A.I. brushless pro reverse short course combo which is a 9.5 turn, a $13 tower pro MG996R servo, and a 6500 mah lipo and I can run for over 45 mins all the time. The truck is really fast for a straight axle crawler-ish truck, does a little under 30 mph, and has gobs of torque. I beat the snot out of mine all the time and the only things to break after 7+ months are an old hitec servo that I originally put in it, and the front bumper.
Now I did start out with the kit cause I knew I wanted way more power then the stock rtr stuff has, and had the electronics already waiting when I got the kit. My uncle on the other hand bought his about a month before me and bought the rtr and even with it being pretty slow, it was still fun...at first! We wanted to actually do mud drags with ours so he bought the same esc motor combo for his becuase it is waterproof. Again after 8+ months with his he actually still using the stock servo, receiver, and radio with his.
He's broken the front bumper also along with one front knuckle, but we were getting pretty stupid trying to jump over a 6' fence. I've even used a 11.1v 4000 mah a few times and the esc gets toasty but never gets dangerously hot. With that battery in there its a rocket! I can be doing 20mph, floor it and it'll flip right over on it's lid it has so much power. I've run it through 6" of standing water and it runs fine, I would get a little cogging at first cause I was getting water in the sensor port on either the esc or the motor but it still ran cause the esc is waterproof. I fixed that issue by just packing the port on both the motor and esc with marine grease before I plug the sensor wire in.
All in all it's a really nice truck, I haven't upgraded anything that came in the box from axial, other then making the hood hinged so it opens like a real truck, and out of all of my cars, trucks, truggies, buggies it has had faarr more run time then anything else in my collection.
Flipside6900 is offline   Reply With Quote