Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JatoMan_72
So I've narrowed my options down to 2 choices,

1st: The Car RTR when it comes out in Spetember

2nd: Xray 808 2010 Spec, only 4 tanks Werks eng, only $450

Any thoughts of which would be the best to go with,
Thanks.
$450 is way too much for an obsolete Xray and a blown up Werks engine.

Just buy new, or buy a used car from a reputable racer AT your track. Too often the Ebay used stuff has alot of headaches for a newb. An experienced racer won't have a problem, but I've seen newbs drive used cars with a different shock piston in each shock and wonder why thier car handles like poo for months.

It may be cheaper to by new if you plan on sticking with 1/8th scale.

The hot cars in my area right now:
Mugen
Kyosho MP9
Xray Xb9
Serpent

Engines:
NR +4
OS XZB
Mugen B02

Servos:
Hitec 7955

Radios:
Airtronics M11
KO Propo

Most of the Losi racers appear to be running Serpents lately.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oggietiu
Jq is also a copy of the losi? Like the XB9? Wow! Again I dont see it bro. I respect your opinion though but I just dont see it. Joseph design was well thought of and much respect for him racing his own car in the euros and doing fairly well.
As wrong as he may be, better to not say anything, and realize he doesn't know what he's talking about (in this subject anyways).

To the OP, I will say the JQ RTR is a great car for an unbeatable price, and you can ask the designer for any questions you have. The Xray 808 was a good car with great quality parts, but it is discontinued and the car you are buying is used. See what other people run at your track, to make your final decision. Good luck
Old 08-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, thanks for all the help, I'm gonna order "The Car" RTR in a few day's, thanks.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ya just for the future, never buy a used motor, ever, no matter how little fuel the guy tells you has been run through it, unless it's from a local club member you trust.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That's awsome advice, thanks for all the help I'm putting my order in as soon as I'm done work and very excited to get an awsome buggy, thanks.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Is the rtr jq based off the yellow version? If so then it's really a good roller.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Jq is also a copy of the losi? Like the XB9? Wow! Again I dont see it bro. I respect your opinion though but I just dont see it. Joseph design was well thought of and much respect for him racing his own car in the euros and doing fairly well.
Have you looked at the suspension a-arms? Funny how Losi has been out for HOW MANY YEARS??? But..... the a-arms look identical.......... Copy Losi and you don't see it?????????????? JQ did copy many things from Losi, as did X-ray and many of the other manufacturers, how much they copied is up to opinion but Losi was the first to offer the longer chassis as factory, that was one of the main differences between the 8ight 1.0 and 2.0, then look at the Mugen mbx6 and the mbx6r, they extended the chassis to be of equal length to the Losi 2.0, associated and kyosho also got the longer chassis AFTER the Losi 2.0 came out, Losi has also copied other things from other companies as all companies do, but the x-ray and "The Car" the a-arms are an exact match so THAT is why I say copied. They also added their OWN thing to each of their cars. But truly look at the a-arms and you will quickly see why I say they copied the Losi.......
Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer
As wrong as he may be, better to not say anything, and realize he doesn't know what he's talking about (in this subject anyways).

To the OP, I will say the JQ RTR is a great car for an unbeatable price, and you can ask the designer for any questions you have. The Xray 808 was a good car with great quality parts, but it is discontinued and the car you are buying is used. See what other people run at your track, to make your final decision. Good luck
How can I be wrong, look at the a-arms on the xb9, 808, and "The Car", they all mirror the pre existing Losi

I do agree not to get the 808 as it is used and even though there are plenty of spare parts, x-ray didn't make a new car because it wasn't better than their old one. JQ is a top quality car as with every car they take some ideas from other companies as Losi has also done, but new is better. NOW...... if you buy "The Car" does your local hobby shop sell parts for it???? New or not you will need parts because eventually things WILL break OR WEAR out. Nothing worse than having to order parts. The main thing is to get something that is supported in your area, I cannot stress this enough, if at the track you are the ONLY one running JQ there is NO ONE who will have a spare a-arm or tie rod end or shock end if you happen to break one and don't have your own spare. Even though the xb9 looks like the Losi in suspension when the camber rod broke on a friends car I did not have the part, we had to take an entire camber rod assembly with ends to get him running again and not just the adjustment rod. He was lucky but sometimes we are not that lucky...
Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Is the rtr jq based off the yellow version? If so then it's really a good roller.
It is based on the 477 Updated car, same plastics and durability but he changed a few parts in an effort to make it more affordable. It has more traction than even the Yellow edition, out of the box.

Originally Posted by jeromerc
Have you looked at the suspension a-arms? Funny how Losi has been out for HOW MANY YEARS??? But..... the a-arms look identical.......... Copy Losi and you don't see it?????????????? JQ did copy many things from Losi, as did X-ray and many of the other manufacturers....., but the x-ray and "The Car" the a-arms are an exact match so THAT is why I say copied. They also added their OWN thing to each of their cars. But truly look at the a-arms and you will quickly see why I say they copied the Losi.......
How can I be wrong, look at the a-arms on the xb9, 808, and "The Car", they all mirror the pre existing Losi
At least do some research before posting incorrect information. Your example of saying The Car's a-arms are identical to the Losi's proves my point exactly. Compare the Losi and JQ front and rear ends.

Losi's a-arms are normal more or less...narrow front arm holder, long front arm...wide rear arm holder,long rear arm, no rear hub offset, and cvds all around. Nothing revolutionary about that.

While the JQ has by far the shortest arms on the market. Wide front arm holder, short front arms...narrow rear arm holder, short rear arms, most rear offset of any car on the market, and universals all around. I can give you exact lengths of Losi vs. JQ a-arms and arm holders if you don't believe me. Pretty much opposite as far as geometries! Yes, the arms do look like Losi, because another shape won't fit and will rub, and there is no point being different if its worse. Also the Losi is 3300-3450g, while I've gotten my JQ as light as 3170g, without lightweight screws or turnbuckles.

Also, Joseph designed most of his car, including short arms, XX-4 front end/steering system, narrow chassis and centralized engine placement ("new gen car")before spy shots of the Losi were even released. Similar ideas, maybe...but to think JQ had a Losi next to him while designing the car is far from the truth.

Sorry about going off topic on this thread OP, but in response to your 2nd post I quoted, yes, you can be wrong.

Last edited by 8ight-racer; 08-14-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Added response to oggietiu
Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer
It is based on the 477 Updated car, same plastics and durability but he changed a few parts in an effort to make it more affordable. It has more traction than even the Yellow edition, out of the box.

At least do some research before posting incorrect information. Your example of saying The Car's a-arms are identical to the Losi's proves my point exactly. Compare the Losi and JQ front and rear ends.

Losi's a-arms are normal more or less...narrow front arm holder, long front arm...wide rear arm holder,long rear arm, no rear hub offset, and cvds all around. Nothing revolutionary about that.

While the JQ has by far the shortest arms on the market. Wide front arm holder, short front arms...narrow rear arm holder, short rear arms, most rear offset of any car on the market, and universals all around. I can give you exact lengths of Losi vs. JQ a-arms and arm holders if you don't believe me. Pretty much opposite as far as geometries! Yes, the arms do look like Losi, because another shape won't fit and will rub, and there is no point being different if its worse. Also the Losi is 3300-3450g, while I've gotten my JQ as light as 3170g, without lightweight screws or turnbuckles.

Also, Joseph designed most of his car, including short arms, XX-4 front end/steering system, narrow chassis and centralized engine placement ("new gen car")before spy shots of the Losi were even released. Similar ideas, maybe...but to think JQ had a Losi next to him while designing the car is far from the truth.

Sorry about going off topic on this thread OP, but in response to your 2nd post I quoted, yes, you can be wrong.
It is funny that when something looks like something else that means it isn't a copy? You say I don't know anything and that the JQ arms are nothing like the Losi then you say they do look similar....... Funny but if they were nothing like the Losi arms then why don't they look like a Mugens or the HB arms??? They look like Losi arms because the design (look) is a very good design and it offers strength in design light weight and durability. So because of this JQ decided to copy SOME of what they saw and incorporate this into their design. That IS what copy means. When I said "mirrored" Losi and it looks exactly the same I meant "LOOK" I never said the JQ car was an EXACT copy of Losi I even said they added their own to the design that they mirrored from Losi. Do you think Losi made their arms look like they do because it "looked" cool???? I have not tried to knock JQ I have simply stated the real facts that clearly some people are too blind to see. I also have said that Losi has also copied other brands, it happens everywhere with everything. If you were not trying to "hijack" this thread then you should have just let my post float through without replying or at least you should have truly thought what "COPY" means and then you would have realized I was correct in my statement. I only mentioned the a-arms as that is what is most noticeable when looking at the two cars side by side. Thus this is where they word copy comes from, if it wasn't in any way shape or form a copy then it would look unique and original, not like a slimmed down version of a Losi arm or as in the case of X-ray a fatter version of the Losi arm.

BTW I NEVER said ARE identical as you have said, I said LOOK identical. If you were to take a photo of each with various zoom would you see any difference??????????? The answer is NO! Granted side by side you would see the size difference but once again I never said ARE I said LOOK.

To the OP I would get the JQ car before buying any used car as long as you can get spare parts for it. IF you cannot get spare parts quickly then I would consider a different car or ordering a bunch of spare parts right off the start. If ordering spare parts, get a-arms, shock ends, and other spare adjustment parts as these are weak points on most cars and nothing worse than not finishing a race because of a $5 part
Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

BTW I NEVER said ARE identical as you have said, I said LOOK identical. If you were to take a photo of each with various zoom would you see any difference??????????? The answer is NO! Granted side by side you would see the size difference but once again I never said ARE I said LOOK.
you are hilarious...shame
Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Copy is not thesame as similar. If you said similar in the first place no one would even react cause we know that already.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

8ight> Thanks. I was wondering what version it was

Jato> You got PM
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

It is funny that when something looks like something else that means it isn't a copy? You say I don't know anything and that the JQ arms are nothing like the Losi then you say they do look similar....... Funny but if they were nothing like the Losi arms then why don't they look like a Mugens or the HB arms??? They look like Losi arms because the design (look) is a very good design and it offers strength in design light weight and durability. So because of this JQ decided to copy SOME of what they saw and incorporate this into their design. That IS what copy means. When I said "mirrored" Losi and it looks exactly the same I meant "LOOK" I never said the JQ car was an EXACT copy of Losi I even said they added their own to the design that they mirrored from Losi. Do you think Losi made their arms look like they do because it "looked" cool???? I have not tried to knock JQ I have simply stated the real facts that clearly some people are too blind to see. I also have said that Losi has also copied other brands, it happens everywhere with everything. If you were not trying to "hijack" this thread then you should have just let my post float through without replying or at least you should have truly thought what "COPY" means and then you would have realized I was correct in my statement. I only mentioned the a-arms as that is what is most noticeable when looking at the two cars side by side. Thus this is where they word copy comes from, if it wasn't in any way shape or form a copy then it would look unique and original, not like a slimmed down version of a Losi arm or as in the case of X-ray a fatter version of the Losi arm.

That is not what a copy is. Let's get these definitions straight:
Copy: "Imitate or reproduce (an idea or style) rather than creating something original." The JQ arms are the shortest on the market, I would consider that original.
Identical: "Similar in every detail; exactly alike"

You are putting way too much emphasis on how something "looks" not taking into consideration what it actually does, which as long as they function contribute nearly nothing to handling. Why not compare actual performance of the two arms, with their completely different geometries. Because I am sure you have never tested JQ and Losi arms back to back, with their respective arm holders, I can say from my testing there is a HUGE handling difference between them. Far from "copy or looking identical."

You say they look identical? Check out the Losi arm compared to JQ arm. I really cannot understand where they "look identical and the JQ arm is a copy of the Losi," with respect to the definitions I posted. You say I am too blind to see the real facts? So there is the pictures, and it is very easy to tell a difference in the 2 arms and the obvious length and design differences...unless you are too oblivious to see them.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

In the end does it matter? Get what you want and race it. If you decide you don't like it. Sell it and get something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.