Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Nitro Off-Road should I get...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default What Nitro Off-Road should I get...

I love my custom Revos but I'm starting to think I may be missing out on other non Traxxas style vehicles. Mugens and Losi look good...I think I want a truggie but I not really sure. Nitro for sure (I just love the smell.)

What Nitro MT or Truggie would be a solid upgrade in craftsmanship and style?

Thanks
Re-Hooked
Old 07-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Originally Posted by Re-Hooked
I love my custom Revos but I'm starting to think I may be missing out on other non Traxxas style vehicles. Mugens and Losi look good...I think I want a truggie but I not really sure. Nitro for sure (I just love the smell.)

What Nitro MT or Truggie would be a solid upgrade in craftsmanship and style?

Thanks
Re-Hooked
DNX408T hands down, check it out: http://www.team-durango.com/race-cars/dnx408t/
Old 07-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Tech Regular

Wow! You driving this? Got Vids? That is one pretty looking truggie....I have not heard about Durango how long have they been around?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Suspended

Wow! You driving this? Got Vids? That is one pretty looking truggie....I have not heard about Durango how long have they been around?
I wish I was driving it! I got a Losi 8ight 2.0 which is a good buggy but I would love a Team Durango. Not sure how long they've been around but they seem to be pretty popular, extremely good looking, and extremely well made.

Check out the vid on the site.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You will be happy with any of the top brands out there right now for a Truggy/Buggy. What sealed the deal for me is LHS support. Nothing worse than missing a race or bashing session because of a $5 part that had to be shipped from B.F.E.

If you plan on racing, visit your local track and see what others are running. In a pinch, you might be able to get a part from someone or some set-up advice at the track. I see mostly Losi, AE and a few Mugens/Durangos/etc at the tracks.

If you plan on bashing, you really can't go wrong with a HPI Savage. Also, there are a TON of these out there with huge aftermarket support. These things are designed to take an absolute beating and ask for more. New RTR's right around $450, or search for-sale forums, craigslist, etc. if you don't mind buying used.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I too am looking to get into 1/8 buggy. I'm on the fence now to what I want either a nitro or Electric. I don't have any experience with nitro. Is there someplace online where I can read up on them? I like the idea of 30 min A-mains. But I imagine the upkeep maybe a pain in the arse.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sorry, BTW it will be for racing.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by lewis110
I too am looking to get into 1/8 buggy. I'm on the fence now to what I want either a nitro or Electric. I don't have any experience with nitro. Is there someplace online where I can read up on them? I like the idea of 30 min A-mains. But I imagine the upkeep maybe a pain in the arse.
If you're on the fence, go electric, you have to love nitro to stay with it, going nitro, getting sick of it, and going to electric is just a big waste of money.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

The Xray XB9 is the hot nitrobuggy to get right now. The Serpent looks good as well.

The Mugen Truggy is still the best truggy out there IME.

I'd also pick the Mugen or Serpent for Ebuggy. Xray's 808E is obsolete.

I like (in order) OS, Mugen, RB, Novarossi engines. I put a OS p3 plug in all of them. Byrons or Sidewinder fuel.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
The Xray XB9 is the hot nitrobuggy to get right now. The Serpent looks good as well.

The Mugen Truggy is still the best truggy out there IME.

I'd also pick the Mugen or Serpent for Ebuggy. Xray's 808E is obsolete.

I like (in order) OS, Mugen, RB, Novarossi engines. I put a OS p3 plug in all of them. Byrons or Sidewinder fuel.
Should be backwards order, Novarossi=best

Can't deny the DNX408T is the prettiest and most innovative truggy out there.

I don't pay attention to Xray, I'm not a radiologist
Old 07-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

I do like the NR build quality. But I find them hard to tune, and I prefer OS p3 plugs. So it makes sense to run OS/MU.

Maybe I'll try one with an OS carb in the near future.

I'm going to wait until locals start winning races with the Durangos, so far they look weird on the track.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Okay....I think I have narrowed this down. Mugen truggy, Losi Eight 2.0 and DNX408T...

Seems like I off to a great start. Checking with the local LHS to see which there carry this week...
Old 07-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I do like the NR build quality. But I find them hard to tune, and I prefer OS p3 plugs. So it makes sense to run OS/MU.

Maybe I'll try one with an OS carb in the near future.

I'm going to wait until locals start winning races with the Durangos, so far they look weird on the track.
Hmm, My P5 has been pretty easy to tune right after replacing a leaky front bearing. Novas are easy to tune engines.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Suspended

Okay....I think I have narrowed this down. Mugen truggy, Losi Eight 2.0 and DNX408T...

Seems like I off to a great start. Checking with the local LHS to see which there carry this week...
Doubt they have the team durango but if they do, grab it, pay and run! If they don't have parts, its worth it to buy an extra durango kit just for spare parts, if u could swing the cash.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

Durango it is...man that thing looks nice....gotta figure out a way to hide it from the wife.