Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proper Gear Mesh?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Proper Gear Mesh?

How do you guys properly mesh the clutch bell to the spur gear?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

When I started I used a business's card you cut slip between push engine then tighten you should be pretty close now its a feel thing I set by sound and feel. Some say paper but I find it to thin your mesh it over tight. You want a smooth sound nothing gritty or tight.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

what Jay said... go by feel. If you're having problems, cut a strip of paper the width of the clutchbell teeth ~2" long. Jam it in between the CB and spur and slid the engine over and tighten it. Roll the CB with your thumb to free the paper and it should be close.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The way I've been setting my mesh, i cut a piece of paper 1/4" wide and maybe 4" inches long and fold it in half. insert the paper between the gears and push your engine over against your spur gear and tighten your motor mount screws. i normally use notebook paper, I've been using this method for years never had any problems. I seen this method in most manuals for 1/8 scales cars, just dont set the mesh to tight or you will have. The paper gives it proper clearance.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok I have tried using paper and also by feel and sound, but the reason I asked is because when I think I have it meshed right, I spin the wheels and a loud noise comes from it although it does not sound like a grinding. Could it just be making a sound because my clutch bell is worn out?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

make sure you have your motor square to the spur. if it is crooked, it will be louder and wear the gears faster.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K-man 15
Ok I have tried using paper and also by feel and sound, but the reason I asked is because when I think I have it meshed right, I spin the wheels and a loud noise comes from it although it does not sound like a grinding. Could it just be making a sound because my clutch bell is worn out?
If your cb is worn it could cause a little more noise, but its going to have some noise.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroal
make sure you have your motor square to the spur. if it is crooked, it will be louder and wear the gears faster.
On Xray 808/ xb9 the spur/bell gear are not supposed to be square to each other, make it square and you get mesh problems, the way it's designed, even states a warning in the manual.

With using paper you can still get it too tight or loose, you have to look what the paper looks like when you take it out, if the paper has been broken its too tight if the crinkles the gears make are soft edged, it's to loose, also is good to listen after meshing it also, get a ear for what sounds right.