R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
I find it totally annoying how people expect something new every week.. I have an RC8.2, and the last 200 pgs. of that thread are almost exclusively about how to make an RC8.2 into something else.. The hobby is eating its own tail afaic with all this obsession with novelty and constant change..
You would have to blame their own drivers they are running after market parts making the layout different everyone what's what the PROs are running. I was thinking the same thing thou they just released this buggy and it seems from all these posts that people can't drive it as it sits not enough traction and bit. Why would they release something that wasn't workable while AE is allowing these hop ups makes me wonder. When I saw the release I was impressed but from all these post I would never buy cause I would think I would need to buy all these things to make it drivable.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Agreed. I sold my 8.2. I just couldn't get it to work for me. Got tierd of the lack of rear traction. I mean buy the time you buy the kit, the aluminum rear hubs, the new front end parts, kyosho springs and the pistons, the ghea plates your at the price of a mp9
Almost. Don't get me wrong, the car is very well built and is very durable. But I just couldn't keep spending the money on trying to find traction. Alot of guys will say it's the setup but I tried alot of different things and just couldn't get it to work.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
Tech Champion

I think it's a bit more than that though. I don't think setup or traction out of the box are even that significant(I like how mine drives - stock). It's more that the whole hobby is just overrun with this obsession with novelty, change, and minute technical details. It's dorky afaic, and detracts from the fun, which for me is what RC should be all about. They are toy cars after all.

Whatever the case, it's probably time people realized, NO new wonder buggy is going to come out and "change the game".. Just look at Mugen's new truggy.. And? Well, it is "new", so I guess people will buy it.. (even though all they probably needed to do was fix the arm thing.. But hey it's new and shiny looking..) Shrug..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3

Last edited by Herrsavage; 07-27-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #19
Tech Master

there will be a 7 next year im almost sure of it...not because they need to improve the 6, but because they want silly fools like us to keep buying their product. it is the same in any other consumer market...cars get facelifts where all they change are the lights,computer processors are 10MHZ faster and get new names, heck, you can write new and improved formula on a bottle of the same crap people werent buying anymore and i bet they will buy it now. Most people are sheep in this regard and the people in charge know this and take full advantage of this fact. the only way you can say you are not in the same boat is if you are willing to take on your club or whatever with a vintage car to prove like we all so valiantly state the whole time - that it's 90% driver
And yes, the hobby has beome technical, which i enjoy totally. Yes the cars are in reality toys, but they are hardly designed that way anymore. they are much more in technical terms. some people will be amazed at just how much beter they will get at setup and going faster once they understand the fundamental geometry and dynamics of their toys
Old 07-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmmm

I really like the old Mugen with the steel axle parts the rear battery but with the long chassis. If I had anything to change on the mugen it would be bigger fuel nipples so the fuel line won't fall off, and straight cut ring and pinions and redesigned bulkhead covers. the bulkhead covers allow too much movement of the diff front to back that slightly changes the mesh of the ring and pinion. and more durable shock cap bushings like the xray ones, and steel shock standoffs on the tower instead of aluminum, those wear way too fast. Oh yeah and one of those overfill guards on the tank that let the fuel go down through the chassis like the Kyosho tank. beefier rear outer hinge pins, those seem to get bent fairly easily. slightly thicker shock shafts, it wouldn't take much. and most of the 2mm hex head screws replaced with 2.5mm hex. a built in rear skid plate. Axle dust covers on the wheel cvd's. a Mugen body that is updated. and more support from Mugen USA. Oh yeah and a more durable (harder) clutch bell and more rustproof outdrives and center spur gear.

That is alot of small changes that would not require a total new car. and it would be just about perfect. Never broke an arm in buggy don't drive truggy.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
I really like the old Mugen with the steel axle parts the rear battery but with the long chassis. If I had anything to change on the mugen it would be bigger fuel nipples on the tank and lid so the fuel line won't fall off, and straight cut ring and pinions and redesigned bulkhead covers. the bulkhead covers allow too much movement of the diff front to back that slightly changes the mesh of the ring and pinion. and more durable shock cap bushings like the xray ones, and steel shock standoffs on the tower instead of aluminum, those wear way too fast. Oh yeah and one of those overfill guards on the tank that let the fuel go down through the chassis like the Kyosho tank. beefier rear outer hinge pins, those seem to get bent fairly easily. slightly thicker shock shafts, it wouldn't take much. and most of the 2mm hex head screws replaced with 2.5mm hex. a built in rear skid plate. Axle dust covers on the wheel cvd's. a Mugen body that is updated. and more support from Mugen USA. Oh yeah and a more durable (harder) clutch bell and more rustproof outdrives and center spur gear.

That is alot of small changes that would not require a total new car. and it would be just about perfect. Never broke an arm in buggy don't drive truggy.
High lighted the things I'd like to see in /on any new future kit, or even as upgrades on the 6 will do.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanno View Post
High lighted the things I'd like to see in /on any new future kit, or even as upgrades on the 6 will do.
You just described a Serpent
Old 07-28-2012, 03:42 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

The main problem (beside a kit which does not work out of the box) is that most drivers think they can buy performance. It even starts with the R2R world. As an example a most common question is which carbon chassis (like the Tamiya TT01) or which anti rollbar to buy while those guys aren't even running on a track or even know what it does. But hey, they want to upgrade their car and do not know what will help and what is meaningless.

Look at the Xray NT1 (onroad 1/10 car), it is out for more than 5 years, all upgrades are small details and important of them all, the car is very good and able to win races above all new cars from other brands but still people want to have a new designed car because it is outdated. Even outdated cars can be competive but only with the right efford to find the right setup.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I'll say this. I'm not the kind of guy that wants to buy parts for no reason. To me my 8.2 was so bad out of the box I had to try parts that were suggested. But I drew the line when I was told to buy the ghea plates and the new front end parts. I mean those parts are over 200 and that's after I already spent alot in parts that I was told that were must haves. I agree with you, some of the 8.2,s I see on the track are dialed. But mine just simply wasn't and I had local team guys trying to help me out.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

the buggy is already good. i love pbs.
minor fixes that will never happen are the rear arms break too often, fuel tank is suspect and the spiral gears are sucking up fuel mileage.
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I hope it's a reality. It'll make my mbx5t feel outdated. The only thing i see that could be improved is the arms that break too often.

---------"Blessed are those who get to race year round"---------
Rockthecatbox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #27
Tech Addict

mugen mbx6r eu/us best buggy that time everyone knows that. all top-drivers will tell you that in "a secret second".

BUT the tank need to be fixed.
gt racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I dont understand how so many people break front and even rear arms on the 6. I have run this car for 3 years now and i have broke 1 arm. I agree the fuel tank is suspect, a clunk tank would be sweet. I also believe the steering system could be changed as well, maybe a smaller ackerman setup like the losi car, that way there is more room to move things around in the chassis. Oh, a radio tray that doesnt use 8 screws to hold it to the chassis and a taller receiver compartment would be awesome too!
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My .02. Yes the 6 is still very competitive in its current form but there is always room for improvement. Maybe some new geometries and weight distribution? Thats for Mugen to figure out. How many think the 5 is just as good as the 6? The 6 is leaps better. Think of a 7 with that much more over the 6. I personally don't care about coated out drives that don't rust and steel shock standoffs. PBS over C hubs? If im faster with a C hub Mugen, so be it. To my knowledge, Mugen didnt invent the PBS. I want durability and lightweight. I don't care what it looks like as long as it drops my lap times. Arms seem to be a sticking point with the current generation of 6's. I personally have never had one break that shouldn't have. Call me biased, but I race with Mugen because I believe in Mugen.
3DRCRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DRCRACER View Post
My .02. Yes the 6 is still very competitive in its current form but there is always room for improvement. Maybe some new geometries and weight distribution? Thats for Mugen to figure out. How many think the 5 is just as good as the 6? The 6 is leaps better. Think of a 7 with that much more over the 6. I personally don't care about coated out drives that don't rust and steel shock standoffs. PBS over C hubs? If im faster with a C hub Mugen, so be it. To my knowledge, Mugen didnt invent the PBS. I want durability and lightweight. I don't care what it looks like as long as it drops my lap times. Arms seem to be a sticking point with the current generation of 6's. I personally have never had one break that shouldn't have. Call me biased, but I race with Mugen because I believe in Mugen.
So how much better is the 6 from the 5? You guys are making me have some buyer's remorse.

---------"Blessed are those who get to race year round"---------
Rockthecatbox21 is offline   Reply With Quote