R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Losi T 2.0 Truggy rear diff

Hi,
I have run my truggy for about 3 meetings now and all of a sudden i have a clunking sound from the rear of the car, still has the power before i heard it go past me.

I have pulled the rear differential out and the pinion gear 10T was slightly chewed apart. I have replaced it with a new one but it seems that my diff has moved slightly to the right (looking at the front to the back of the car) there for it isnt catching the differential T like it should and keeps making a clicking sound when i rotate the diff, if i manually push the diff across to the left slightly i get no clicking sound and smoother movement in the gear rotation!

Is there any way i could fix this problem?
WWW.ADELAIDERC.COM.AU
Now a ARCR member
MrLosi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Find someone at your track or hobby shop that can show you how to shim the rear diff of the losi. It has to be tight and checked often.

Sonor Drums, Zildjian A 16" Crash, Sabian 21" AA dry ride, Zildjian 20" K Ride, Sabian AAX hats.
rustyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfingers View Post
Find someone at your track or hobby shop that can show you how to shim the rear diff of the losi. It has to be tight and checked often.
Yeh i figured it has something to do with gear shims.

its a worry when i went to the losi supplier in adelaide here and he didnt even know what the pinion gear was and where it fitted on the car, bit of a worry aint it??
WWW.ADELAIDERC.COM.AU
Now a ARCR member
MrLosi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

When you replace the pinion you must replace the ring gear and the diff case on the losi. Shimming is also very important and the alum inserts can help prevent unwanted flex in the gear case.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

It may not be completly nessasary to replace the case every time but yes you need to replace both the ring and pinion together. When you reasseble, shim it like the manual says.
When you put the 2 cases back together, install all 4 bolts and check for fitment. Dont put any grease on it yet.
It should spin easily but not sloppy. if its to loose, take a shim from the pinion side or add one to the left side.
You have to check with everything bolted together minus it being on the chassis. The case will distort a little when everything is together and it will give you the best reading.
there should be one spot where it spins just a touch tighter than everywhere else. That is normal.
Once you get it where you want it, pull the back case off, apply tour grease and reinstall it. After 20 minutes of running you need to check it again to make sure it still fits like it should. you may need to addjust your shims again.

I have been running the same ring and pinion in my truck for 2 years. This method works. For me atleast.
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLosi88 View Post
Hi,
I have run my truggy for about 3 meetings now and all of a sudden i have a clunking sound from the rear of the car, still has the power before i heard it go past me.

I have pulled the rear differential out and the pinion gear 10T was slightly chewed apart. I have replaced it with a new one but it seems that my diff has moved slightly to the right (looking at the front to the back of the car) there for it isnt catching the differential T like it should and keeps making a clicking sound when i rotate the diff, if i manually push the diff across to the left slightly i get no clicking sound and smoother movement in the gear rotation!

Is there any way i could fix this problem?
If you go to the losi 8ight t thread and search rear diff you will find many instructions how to shim it I know when i ran this kit I most have posted it many times never had problems period
Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Make sure the bearings are not ruined.. I had this happen in my buggy where the bearings blew/wore out and allowed a lot of movement of the rear diff which chewed up alot of teeth in my pinion gear. Replace those and see if it will help...
Airlmeier4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

yes replace the pinon and ring gear at the same time ,I dont think you have to replace the housing everytime ,most folks like to shim the R/P tight so it feels notchy ,but IMO when you do this #1 you wear the R/P out faster cuz theres no room for grease and no room for heat to expand , as heat will grow and expand metal ,there for I like to shim with a little back lash ,and use mobile one grease ,I have had the same R/P in my buggy ,truggy for at least 3 yrs with no problems ,Having 25yrs in the gear bus this is what I do , also dont over tighten the gear box screws as this could warp the housing , good luck !!
rc racer 103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Tech Elite

i had it simmed by the book it was way to tight i took one out on the right side. it just has a high spot and its not bad.
b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just a note the losi diff shims have two different sizes.
I use a micrometer to distinguish between the two.
I end up running just like the manual says.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
When you replace the pinion you must replace the ring gear and the diff case on the losi. Shimming is also very important and the alum inserts can help prevent unwanted flex in the gear case.
+1 on the alum inserts.

After my first blown diff, I replaced EVERYTHING, and added the alum inserts. No issues for 2 seasons. New parts are readily available on eBay for relatively cheap.
305M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
hey mate bring your car down too the track sunday and i will show you how too shim your diff.

pagie.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonpagephotography/
www.facebook.com/SimonPagePhotography
PAGIE #536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
Tech Regular

shim it till its notchy and look at it every meeting
av4625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
Tech Regular

oh and i change the gearbox often every 2 meetings and changed pinion and ring gear every 3 or 4 or so, alu inserts are a defo
av4625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Exclamation

https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonpagephotography/
www.facebook.com/SimonPagePhotography
PAGIE #536 is offline   Reply With Quote