Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
OFNA Starter box LOUD screech! >

OFNA Starter box LOUD screech!

OFNA Starter box LOUD screech!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)
Default OFNA Starter box LOUD screech!

When I press on my starter box, wheel spins and I hear a Loud screeching sounds, a lot louder than how my car would sound at full throttle. The sound has been getting worse and more frequent.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Bust out some screwdrivers and figure out what's wrong. They're very simple to take apart, not much to them.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate
Bust out some screwdrivers and figure out what's wrong. They're very simple to take apart, not much to them.
Im too lazy

I guess I must
Old 06-29-2012, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

the bearings need to be replaced.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chopper82p
Im too lazy

I guess I must
Wow great response. "This doesn't work, I don't want to fix it."

A great line from Jerry Maguire. "Help me, help you." You're going to have to give more information than "My Ofna starter box makes a squealing noise" Which model is it? Does it do it all the time or only when it is trying to start the car? Just so you know, I do know exactly what your problem is, but just telling you the answer won't teach you anything. I am going to PM BrakeTurnAccelerate the answer, and provided that you provide the right information, you will get the answer too. You need to learn, if you want the right answer, you need to provide the right information.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
Wow great response. "This doesn't work, I don't want to fix it."

A great line from Jerry Maguire. "Help me, help you." You're going to have to give more information than "My Ofna starter box makes a squealing noise" Which model is it? Does it do it all the time or only when it is trying to start the car? Just so you know, I do know exactly what your problem is, but just telling you the answer won't teach you anything. I am going to PM BrakeTurnAccelerate the answer, and provided that you provide the right information, you will get the answer too. You need to learn, if you want the right answer, you need to provide the right information.
The reason I didn't want to take apart my starter box is I already have my whole car apart,fixing it, and once I finally finish fixing the car, I just wanted to throw it on the starter box and run it. Im too lazy to take apart the whole box only because I have all this other workt o do on my car, my car needing to be fixed 3 times in the last 3 weeks, each time required me to take the majority of the car apart. I don't wanna take apart the starter box aimlessly looking for a problem, I would just like to know the problem and if its fixable without ordering extra parts.

I thought I was making it clear when writing in my title that its an OFNA box, clearly I made a mistake in not specifying which model it is (blue dual 775 motor one), I thought sayin OFNA starter box, people would automatically know its the truggy starter. My mistake, its 4am here lol, I haven't slept in the last 24 hours, I made a mistake

It makes the noise both when spinning free and starting the car (good thing my car starts quick after priming, the sound in unbearable).

I would appreciate it if you can just tell me the answer now, its not like I'm unable to diagnose problems with my equipment, I've just been too tired to take apart yet another piece of equipment involved with Nitro RC.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sickboy
the bearings need to be replaced.
Thats one of the things I was thinking of
Old 06-29-2012, 02:02 AM
Tech Master

I would haphazardly guess that the issue is the belt tensioner, or one of the pinions on one of the motors is loose. They are simply pressed on...
Old 06-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate
I would haphazardly guess that the issue is the belt tensioner, or one of the pinions on one of the motors is loose. They are simply pressed on...
Didn't R.Shackleford PM you the answer? He said he knew it for sure and said he would PM you.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:14 AM
Tech Master

Didn't R.Shackleford PM you the answer? He said he knew it for sure and said he would PM you.
Yes, he PM'd me what he thought it could be. Those ideas I listed above are my ideas.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:33 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well being that Ofna makes 8 different 1/8th scale starter boxes, you might want to specify which one it is that you have. I was basing my answer for the squealing noise on one of their direct drive boxes where the wheel is bolted directly to the motor. For that the answer is most likely that the wheel has come just loose enough to slip when put under a load. Now that it has been divulged that you are using the truggy box, my first guess would be one (or both) of the pinions are slipping (like BTA suggested). Next would be a bearing that is dirty/dry/blown. Open the box and hit all the bearings with some light bearing oil. Give it a shot. If that didn't seem to help, it is probably the pinions. Best fix if it is the pinions would be to get some regular pinions of the same size and pitch. Grind a flat spot on the motor shaft and bolt them up. If it is the pinions there is no sense in buying new motors that are going to do the same thing. What have you had to fix on your car for the last 3 weeks that required such heavy dis-assembly?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

The truggy box has an affliction where the starter wheel rubs the side of the box. Or your idler pulley needs some lube.

Realighn the wheel system, pull your chassis no engine or shocks, reset your chassis holding setpoints.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
Well being that Ofna makes 8 different 1/8th scale starter boxes, you might want to specify which one it is that you have. I was basing my answer for the squealing noise on one of their direct drive boxes where the wheel is bolted directly to the motor. For that the answer is most likely that the wheel has come just loose enough to slip when put under a load. Now that it has been divulged that you are using the truggy box, my first guess would be one (or both) of the pinions are slipping (like BTA suggested). Next would be a bearing that is dirty/dry/blown. Open the box and hit all the bearings with some light bearing oil. Give it a shot. If that didn't seem to help, it is probably the pinions. Best fix if it is the pinions would be to get some regular pinions of the same size and pitch. Grind a flat spot on the motor shaft and bolt them up. If it is the pinions there is no sense in buying new motors that are going to do the same thing. What have you had to fix on your car for the last 3 weeks that required such heavy dis-assembly?
First time it crashed it was my fault, hit a car tire. Broke my front gearbox, had to fix it. 5 mins of testing after fixing it and putting the whole thing back together, rx battery ran outta juice right after hitting full throttle, lost steering, plowed into another tire and broke the new gearbox I put in. Installed new gearbox, took the whole car apart rebuilt shocks and diffs. Got it to the edge of my driveway, I let it idle, accidentally hit the off switch on my tx and had a runaway. Broke a lot of the front of the car, bent chassis and shock tower and broke my connecting rod and chipped the bottom of the piston.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Would put money on the fact Ur belt tensioner isn't spinning ! Mine did that and eventually snapped the belt, if u have a bunch of fiberglass looking dust in there that means that's what it is and it's eating if belt ! After I replaced my belt I replaced the tensioner with 5x10 bearings so it would never happen again ! Hope this helps ! If Ur like me and snap a belt at the track good luck finding a replacement !!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

trust me, just change the bearings. i know this from experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.