R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Shock oil and Heat

How much affect does the temperature have on shock oil?

I would assume the higher the temp the thinner the oil would get.

Here in MS its in the 100's and I was just wondering if I need to go up on shock oil to compensate for the high heat.
Maxxed-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Tech Elite

It has a huge effect.

I just took my Winter indoor 2wd buggy out of the closet last night. It felt like the shocks were empty.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Check this out. Temperature comparisons are at the bottom.

http://www.twf8.ws/php/tip/shock.html
Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
Check this out. Temperature comparisons are at the bottom.

http://www.twf8.ws/php/tip/shock.html
Thanks!
Maxxed-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

it matters i wanted to check my ride height in my house and i had to sit my buggy outside to let it warm up before i could get a good measurement
evolution03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Shock oil temp variation

Based on measurements I have made, the changes in temperature depends on the viscosity number and the temperature of the oil, I have notice that from about 300cst to 600cst you will have change of 3 centistokes for every 1 degree of temperature change in Fahrenheit. The 3cst change will also depend on what range of temperature the oils are at. When the oils get really cold the changes are bigger than 3-4cst until the reach a point that the oils hits a plateau. the same thing happens when the oils get hot. when the temperature of the oil increases to a certain range the variations increase until they plateau and don't get any thinner.
I can speak for my oils, I have been doing a lot of testing and measuring.

To answer your question, yes they will change. In order for the changes to be noticeable the temperature have to be big. If you pay close attention you will notice a change on the car for every 10 degrees temperature change in Fahrenheit.
I recommend going up 25cst on my oils for every 10 degrees of temperature change with no other variables affecting the car.

hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default Hot setup

I ran a State race last weekend and with my normal oil my car felt way too soft. It was 97 degees out and before the main I went from 600 front to 700. The rear I went from 500 to 600. This is on a MP9 and it transformed my car from decent to outstanding. The Driver however not so much I did end up 2nd though
latemodel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT RC Racing View Post
Based on measurements I have made, the changes in temperature depends on the viscosity number and the temperature of the oil, I have notice that from about 300cst to 600cst you will have change of 3 centistokes for every 1 degree of temperature change in Fahrenheit. The 3cst change will also depend on what range of temperature the oils are at. When the oils get really cold the changes are bigger than 3-4cst until the reach a point that the oils hits a plateau. the same thing happens when the oils get hot. when the temperature of the oil increases to a certain range the variations increase until they plateau and don't get any thinner.
I can speak for my oils, I have been doing a lot of testing and measuring.

To answer your question, yes they will change. In order for the changes to be noticeable the temperature have to be big. If you pay close attention you will notice a change on the car for every 10 degrees temperature change in Fahrenheit.
I recommend going up 25cst on my oils for every 10 degrees of temperature change with no other variables affecting the car.

hope this helps.

You the man pablo! Been runnin P.T. oils for a year now, thanks to Joe Alessi and of course Pablo, and having the most precise, consistent, affordable, and easy to use large capacity bottle is outstanding....having ur order shipped same day generally with just an email, and the most knowledgable and friendly guy on the other end is simply second to none! Thanks for such a perfect product and bein the stellar gentlemen you are!
oilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Both my 1/8th scale buggies are setup fairly soft for outdoor in 90 degree heat.

Inside in the air conditioning I can literally throw them at the floor and they hardly bottom. Stiff as a board.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Umm

I hate to be the only one that is opposite, but to be fair in Texas it really doesn't get very cold so the differences are less noticable. I do change my diffs from winter to summer, but my shock oils stay the same. One reason is the change from daytime running to night is the biggest change but by then who cares. run it. I guess I say set it up for the hottest part of the day and leave it alone. I try not to overthink it.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #11
JsK
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

http://www.twf8.ws/php/index.php?opt...per&Itemid=175
JsK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilguy View Post
You the man pablo! Been runnin P.T. oils for a year now, thanks to Joe Alessi and of course Pablo, and having the most precise, consistent, affordable, and easy to use large capacity bottle is outstanding....having ur order shipped same day generally with just an email, and the most knowledgable and friendly guy on the other end is simply second to none! Thanks for such a perfect product and bein the stellar gentlemen you are!
And now you have earned yourself a free bottle of oil with a viscosity of your choice?
wouterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdith6 View Post
I hate to be the only one that is opposite, but to be fair in Texas it really doesn't get very cold so the differences are less noticable. I do change my diffs from winter to summer, but my shock oils stay the same. One reason is the change from daytime running to night is the biggest change but by then who cares. run it. I guess I say set it up for the hottest part of the day and leave it alone. I try not to overthink it.
I do thesame thing. But I use Heavier oil so changes in temperature is irrelevant. Like you say tune it at the hottest you might think its gonna be and from where I am its pretty much thesame. I change oil every race so that might be a factor.
oggietiu is offline   Reply With Quote