R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   1/8 Scale Tires for Carpet (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/640589-1-8-scale-tires-carpet.html)

Edumakated 06-25-2012 11:21 AM

1/8 Scale Tires for Carpet

I have a new local 1/8th scale track that just opened, but the track is carpet. They apparently had to lay down carpet all over the track to keep dust down for the neighboring businesses.

Needless to say, traction is HIGH. Almost like racing on velcro. The big issues is traction rolling. I have made all the appropriate setup changes to the car, but still looking for a good tire.

At the last race (first day track was open), any kind of indoor tire with ghost pins seemed to work well, but getting rid of side bite was the big issue. It was almost impossible to get the car to rotate hard like on dirt. Basically had to drive the corners like onroad. I had my best results with some 2 year old worn out J Concepts wishbones.

I am curious if anyone has ever raced 1/8 offroad on carpet before and what type of tires worked well?

Sein 06-25-2012 12:18 PM

I have and it was an outdoor carpet track. The tires that worked out best for me were the Proline holeshots. They got good grip with the right amount of give. I used m2 compound in about 75 to 80 degree weather.

the daddy 06-25-2012 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Edumakated (Post 10901939)
I have a new local 1/8th scale track that just opened, but the track is carpet. They apparently had to lay down carpet all over the track to keep dust down for the neighboring businesses.

Needless to say, traction is HIGH. Almost like racing on velcro. The big issues is traction rolling. I have made all the appropriate setup changes to the car, but still looking for a good tire.

At the last race (first day track was open), any kind of indoor tire with ghost pins seemed to work well, but getting rid of side bite was the big issue. It was almost impossible to get the car to rotate hard like on dirt. Basically had to drive the corners like onroad. I had my best results with some 2 year old worn out J Concepts wishbones.

I am curious if anyone has ever raced 1/8 offroad on carpet before and what type of tires worked well?

Try Schumacher mini pins dremel the first two to three pins of either edge
Of the front tires that should eliminate the grip roll but still give you good forward grip

Jerm13 06-25-2012 02:09 PM

Try the Losi DLM's. Thay work pretty good on just about anything that doesnt have dust. But if the carpet gets wet, you may need to look elsewhere.

reno911 06-25-2012 02:22 PM

A while back we had a indoor track with carpet. I used a set of knuckles for a while with good results. I found the best tire set up was baldies. Soft compound proline holeshots with pretty much all the pins and tread gone. They got good traction due to the soft compound, yet would let loose under power on the turns to power slide like that in the dirt.

Zerodefect 06-25-2012 02:45 PM

Wouldn't it just have been easier to move the track to a rural location?

reno911 06-29-2012 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Zerodefect (Post 10902716)
Wouldn't it just have been easier to move the track to a rural location?

I loved the indoor track we had. It was during the winter and a local RC shop rented out a building. It only lasted that winter, but that type of track has good potential in my eyes. Instead of having to get a plow to make your track, just some 2x4's and some plywood. Arrange the carpet and call it a day. If the place has concrete floors, leave some places plain concrete to add the extra challenge on a certain turn.

Get some milk crates for driver stands and your done! Low budget yes, fun, double yes.

C.Capelo 06-29-2012 06:15 PM

At our local indoor carpet track we race 1/10th and 1/8th E-buggy. For 1/10th scale Schumacher mini pins in yellow is pretty much the only way to go (staggered ribs in yellow for the front on 2wd). We do alot of indoor carpet racing here in the winter.

However in 1/8th scale the Schumacher's need to be heavily worn down to ground down to help with the traction rolling. We tried many 1/8th clay and dirt tires and Jconcepts 7's in gold (clay) compound work really well. Also Jconcepts barcodes in gold work good as well. The carpet we are racing on eats up the 1/8th scale tires pretty quick. I could hardly get 2 race days out of a set. Try the 7's...good control with less traction rolling then the Schumachers.

Here's a video of the track just in case you are wondering how we run 1/10 and 1/8 on the same track. The race track area alone is over 5000sq. ft.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIWev...layer_embedded

Aleq 06-30-2012 10:30 AM

Our tracks are carpet only, LRP Harakiri's or AKA Cityblocks is what we use... Soft compound, when over 15-20 celcius i'll go medium