R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Thinking of giving nitro 1/8 off road a go!!!

Hey guys as you can tell im thinking of getting into nitro 1/8 off road. You can see in my signature what i currently own and was thinking of converting my RC8Te to an RC8T. Ive never had a nitro vehicle before and was wondering what i need to know engine wise like size etc and what nitro % i need to run etc? I know this will be a contentious question also but what brand engines are the best? I was thinking of getting Team Orion.
Futaba 4PL Radio::Protek & Orion Lipos::Proline Tyres::Bodies painted by Rusty Old Fart Inc

Last edited by Artriel; 06-23-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Artriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Keep your electric. Buy a new car to run as nitro. My electrics are getting a ton of use and all of my practice time. My nitro is just for big events.

I like the OS .28xz on 30% Byrons or Sidewinder. I prefer running buggy though. OS .21XZB w/2090, NR Mugen short compact header.

OS and Mugen B02 are very good, easy to tune and repair engines. Mugen is OS based.

Novarossi and RB have good engines. They are harder to tune. RB's better engines are Novarossi based, but I haven't kept up on RB engines. Everyones seems to have good luck with OS/Mugen in my area.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Go for it!

There are a ton of good engines. Get what fits your budget. Orion is good, Novarossi, Alpha, OS, whatever..

As for breaking them in, tuning them, running them, etc.., people here will help you out no prob. Nitro, contrary to what you have probably heard in electric circles, is not rocket science. Nor is it necessarily finicky or difficult. It's fun!

Fuel-wise, I run %25 nitro, but I think lots of people run %30. With %25 you don't have to worry as much about head shims - something I have to admit to knowing nothing about. I run %25, never mess with shims, and get on swimmingly...

If you have a local track where they race nitro truggies, maybe just go and ask.. You can do the conversion based on what you can find out here, and get everything set up. Then maybe somebody at the local track can help you out. If not, you can get all the info you need here. Go for it!
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Theses a lot to learn. Start off fresh with a new kit. Prefer buggy unless ur track has truck turn out as buggy takes Lil more skill to drive it will make u better. Since ur coming from e cars you should have a pretty smooth trigger finger? Making u have a advantage in nitro. Get 30% fuel it's the standard in racing. Get new engines and equipment nothing used so u don't have any head aches. Break in the engine as Manuel says to or there's a break in bible on the engine thread above. Engines these days are all getting affordable and in advantage. It's not like back in the day the 500 doller engine was more likely to win. Try a alpha, novarossi p5xlt, werks b6 in buggy or b5 truggy, I even love my 200 doller now practice engine dynamite xpe euro .21 turbo plug. It's got over 4 gallons now still ripping and runs with the best engines out there and is so easy to tune a kid can do it literally. But I would recommend a o.s carb on it as factory carb is pretty bad once that's replaced engine is very similar to a o.s speed IMO and has close to same run time no where near running lean.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Also, with nitro you will need a throttle return spring.

TLR 22 2.0
Serpent Spyder SRX 2
Who8mySandwich is offline   Reply With Quote