R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
I don't consider the fumes to be anymore harmful to the human body than all the fast food crap people eat while at the track.

Which is worse ?
Either that or not eating/drinking in the heat most drink sodas over water and racing pulls long hours. The mind and body fatigue is worse then fumes on a hot outdoors race day. Most don't sleep till late day before then pull another 24 hour schedule give or take of racing and heading home.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphil49 View Post
Let's put a stop to this right now. His passing had absolutely nothing to do with nitro fumes. He hadn't even raced indoor nitro in over a year.

Porkchop was a friend of mine and I will miss him very much.
Thanks thats why I didnt post on the orginal thread . I wanted a clear understanding since its comment was very straight forward regarding why he passed its better to leave out then post.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RCmayor

Just because indoor nitro hadn't been ran in a while doesn't mean a considerable amount of fumes could have been inhaled. I never met him but Porkchop was a big guy, as are a lot of us. Toxins like this are stored in fat cells. So it is entirely plausible for enough toxic methanol to build up in your system over time if you race and practice enough, and also the oil and Nitro.

Call me crazy but am I the only one at the track that actually points the exhaust to the track side instead of into the pits? It keeps the exhaust off of your shirt also. How many times have you walked down pit row and 5+ cars are sitting their warming up and your eyes/nose burn out from the fumes? Maybe racers should be thinking of things like this.
RCmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjayjay1 View Post
Thanks thats why I didnt post on the orginal thread . I wanted a clear understanding since its comment was very straight forward regarding why he passed its better to leave out then post.
exactly as stated by the guy above

i never said he died because of his nitro fumes poisoning , it was a contributing factor is what charles told me over the phone

people read things differently on the forums , case in point here

either way , we'll miss porkchop
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post

i never said he died because of his nitro fumes poisoning , it was a contributing factor is what charles told me over the phone

Word up. Rest in peace. Long fight ended bad, at least he's got some good tracks up above now!

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 View Post

He will be missed by a lot of people, including me! It is pretty cool to see how many lives he touched and how many people have already paid their respect online through the different forums and FB!
+1, Rest in Peace Chop!
rfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

This was always in the back of my mind when running any engines in my shed , good topic by the way. Cheers
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This is tragic news for the RC community. I did not know him, but his posts were informative and often humorous once deciphered.

The toxins suspended in nitro fumes accumulate in the bodies organs, especially kidneys and liver, as well as the central nervous system. If your organs aren't performing well, the effects will be more severe. It is much easier to damage a weakened organ.

The fumes are also a heart stimulant at the time of inhalation. I have personally noticed increased heart rate while pitting at an indoor race.

Over-exposure is certainly quite extreme and unlikely. More people should, however, be wearing a respirator at indoor events.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post

Its always better to hear it from the source since its not our business. I consider it private but that's how I view things. I'm not point fingers never mentioned your name.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Correct me if i am wrong, but the levels of nitro in our fuel are not high enough to cause major health issues when burned. Someone mentioned top fuel dragster engines, well those boys run something around 90% nitro I believe. And John Force is still racing. Unless you only breathe in the exhaust, you will not die, the worst that will happen is a headache. When the nitro methane in fuel is burned, products of CO2, H2O, and N2 form, the CO2 is what is harmful to the body and what causes the headaches. I have been racing nitro indoors during winter for 5 years now and I have not seen anyone become deathly ill, headaches are all that i have seen and heard of. I personally use a breathing mask because I choose to and it prevents headaches. Now the oils in the fuel could be another story, I have not done any research on those compounds to know, furthermore, the companies that make the fuel do not divulge what the oils are they use other than "castor and synthetic blends". The point of my conjecture is simply this, I feel there is no immediate danger of the exhaust fumes from our cars, I will continue to race indoors using my breathing mask, I am glad we have fans to help draw the exhaust from the track area and a separate pit area with fresh, warm air. Fuel like this has been used for many many years, surely there have been massive advances in the chemical properties and the products in the fuel to make it better, but have we ever heard of people dying from this in the past? I haven't.

RIP Chop
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #26
Tech Elite

I've trained a Cockatoo to stand on my shoulder during long mains. When the bird falls off, I leave.

Hasn't happened yet. We ain't got jack to be worried about.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
I've trained a Cockatoo to stand on my shoulder during long mains. When the bird falls off, I leave.

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are!

Mugen MBX6R/Airtronics M11X/Ninja Engines/Sidewinder Fuel/EB Mods
Slider30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post

"20 minutes down, and all is well.....SQWAWK!"
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:41 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Petrochemicals

It's not just the nitro. methenol is made from natural gas. It's not much different than oil. I live by Dow Chemical near the Texas coast and I can tell you honestly that these chemicals and bi products and so on are horrible. Toxins are in everything these days, and a buildup is absolutely possible and causes so many problems. I know nothing about what happened with porkchop, but I can say that it is difficult to detoxify the body of heavy metals, chemicals etc...
Old 06-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to karzz

Not a single mention of Nitric Acid?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_acid

The bottom line about Nitric Acid ?
If you inhale it, you destroy lung tissue.
karzz is offline   Reply With Quote