R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
railer80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 267
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default carbon fiber chassis?

Why arent they used in 1/8 scale buggies/truggies? When thick enough its really strong, is it because of the flex properties or cost or something else?
__________________
JQ Products theCAR-CRE Novarossi theP5
railer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
captain america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by railer80 View Post
Why arent they used in 1/8 scale buggies/truggies? When thick enough its really strong, is it because of the flex properties or cost or something else?
There were a couple of manufacturers a while back, namely Matrix Concepts and MOOS Racing. The first seemed to encounter financial or business setbacks not related to the chassis themselves, and the latter seemed to find it more lucrative to make carbon fiber jewelry.

From what I could see, proof-of-concept had been demonstrated rather convincingly, but probably not very lucrative.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Goodyear Az
Posts: 349
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

http://www.snrgraphite.com/

I believe they can make you a chassis upon request. They do offer a lot of parts for nitro and electric that crossover to each other.
Hpifanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
captain america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpifanboi View Post
http://www.snrgraphite.com/

I believe they can make you a chassis upon request. They do offer a lot of parts for nitro and electric that crossover to each other.
Everything they produce chassis-wise appears to be for electric. If you look at the MP9 chassis that they offer, the top surface is relatively flat, no milled areas or recesses to clear servos or fuel tank or flywheel. They could probably make a custom chassis to suit your needs, but would likely cost quite a bit more than the already spendy price they're charging.

IMHO, Matrix Concepts really had the best formula. How unfortunate that it didn't last.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Tech Regular
 
railer80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 267
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america View Post
Everything they produce chassis-wise appears to be for electric. If you look at the MP9 chassis that they offer, the top surface is relatively flat, no milled areas or recesses to clear servos or fuel tank or flywheel. They could probably make a custom chassis to suit your needs, but would likely cost quite a bit more than the already spendy price they're charging.

IMHO, Matrix Comcepts really had the best formula. How unfortunate that it didn't last.
i found thiat thread for matrix concepts and wow. The aluminum skids were genius as was the whole layout and design. The rc world is very slow moving in technology, understandably. One day it may be a box stock deal. I have quite a few ideas for building my own car that hasnt really been implemented.
__________________
JQ Products theCAR-CRE Novarossi theP5
railer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Tech Addict
 
curacing2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Zealand Auckland
Posts: 594
Default

1/8th nitro buggy chassis are all made of aluminium for there ability to become part of the heatsink for the engine, its durability, easy to machine and strengh in areas like the recessed holes for the engine mounts etc.

The cars are so close to weight limits these days weight's not an issue, the best application in 1/8 is probably E cars, the battery boxes could be molded into the chassis.

I know CF is cool looking, what about a alloy/CF laminate/ best of both worlds.

Craig
__________________
Werks Racing NZ Ltd and Werks NZ team driver, AKA tyres.
Mugen Seiki, Werks fuel, KO Propo, Werks clutches, Bitty Design Bodies.
curacing2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
captain america's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,425
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curacing2 View Post
1/8th nitro buggy chassis are all made of aluminium for there ability to become part of the heatsink for the engine, its durability, easy to machine and strengh in areas like the recessed holes for the engine mounts etc.

The cars are so close to weight limits these days weight's not an issue, the best application in 1/8 is probably E cars, the battery boxes could be molded into the chassis.

I know CF is cool looking, what about a alloy/CF laminate/ best of both worlds.

Craig
The chassis isn't intended as a heat sink for the engine, which from what I've seen ran just fine with the carbon. There were quite a few testamonials from guys running the 8ight with the Matrix Concepts chassis and they seemed to be universally positive.

If anything, it's more of a cost issue than problems related to performance.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
merdith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brazoria, TX
Posts: 2,350
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by curacing2 View Post
1/8th nitro buggy chassis are all made of aluminium for there ability to become part of the heatsink for the engine, its durability, easy to machine and strengh in areas like the recessed holes for the engine mounts etc.

The cars are so close to weight limits these days weight's not an issue, the best application in 1/8 is probably E cars, the battery boxes could be molded into the chassis.

I know CF is cool looking, what about a alloy/CF laminate/ best of both worlds.

Craig
I agree, the alluminum is a good heatsink and it is more durable. Why is it everytime someone gives a good answer someone comes along and states the opposite. Geese.
__________________
Mad Dog drives a Mugen MBX-7, Novarossi engines, Clockwork Racing, Futaba radio, AKA/Proline Tires
merdith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matrix Concepts Inc. Carbon Fiber Chassis & Performance Parts Matrix Concepts Electric Off-Road 161 07-05-2016 08:23 PM
Integy SC10 Carbon Fiber Chassis SirKarnage Electric Off-Road 43 08-11-2014 09:58 AM
Losi 8ight Carbon Fiber Chassis Matrix Concepts Nitro Off-Road 201 01-18-2012 07:01 PM
Losi SCTE Carbon Fiber Chassis Market Testing Hydro 46 Electric Off-Road 116 06-02-2011 06:40 AM
How to remove scratches from carbon fiber chassis? leonggyooi Malaysian R/C Racers 31 07-18-2010 11:28 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:13 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net