R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default carbon fiber chassis?

Why arent they used in 1/8 scale buggies/truggies? When thick enough its really strong, is it because of the flex properties or cost or something else?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by railer80 View Post
Why arent they used in 1/8 scale buggies/truggies? When thick enough its really strong, is it because of the flex properties or cost or something else?
There were a couple of manufacturers a while back, namely Matrix Concepts and MOOS Racing. The first seemed to encounter financial or business setbacks not related to the chassis themselves, and the latter seemed to find it more lucrative to make carbon fiber jewelry.

From what I could see, proof-of-concept had been demonstrated rather convincingly, but probably not very lucrative.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

http://www.snrgraphite.com/

I believe they can make you a chassis upon request. They do offer a lot of parts for nitro and electric that crossover to each other.
Hpifanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpifanboi View Post
http://www.snrgraphite.com/

I believe they can make you a chassis upon request. They do offer a lot of parts for nitro and electric that crossover to each other.
Everything they produce chassis-wise appears to be for electric. If you look at the MP9 chassis that they offer, the top surface is relatively flat, no milled areas or recesses to clear servos or fuel tank or flywheel. They could probably make a custom chassis to suit your needs, but would likely cost quite a bit more than the already spendy price they're charging.

IMHO, Matrix Concepts really had the best formula. How unfortunate that it didn't last.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america View Post
Everything they produce chassis-wise appears to be for electric. If you look at the MP9 chassis that they offer, the top surface is relatively flat, no milled areas or recesses to clear servos or fuel tank or flywheel. They could probably make a custom chassis to suit your needs, but would likely cost quite a bit more than the already spendy price they're charging.

IMHO, Matrix Comcepts really had the best formula. How unfortunate that it didn't last.
i found thiat thread for matrix concepts and wow. The aluminum skids were genius as was the whole layout and design. The rc world is very slow moving in technology, understandably. One day it may be a box stock deal. I have quite a few ideas for building my own car that hasnt really been implemented.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Tech Addict

1/8th nitro buggy chassis are all made of aluminium for there ability to become part of the heatsink for the engine, its durability, easy to machine and strengh in areas like the recessed holes for the engine mounts etc.

The cars are so close to weight limits these days weight's not an issue, the best application in 1/8 is probably E cars, the battery boxes could be molded into the chassis.

I know CF is cool looking, what about a alloy/CF laminate/ best of both worlds.

Craig
Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by curacing2 View Post
1/8th nitro buggy chassis are all made of aluminium for there ability to become part of the heatsink for the engine, its durability, easy to machine and strengh in areas like the recessed holes for the engine mounts etc.

The cars are so close to weight limits these days weight's not an issue, the best application in 1/8 is probably E cars, the battery boxes could be molded into the chassis.

Craig
The chassis isn't intended as a heat sink for the engine, which from what I've seen ran just fine with the carbon. There were quite a few testamonials from guys running the 8ight with the Matrix Concepts chassis and they seemed to be universally positive.

If anything, it's more of a cost issue than problems related to performance.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by curacing2 View Post

Craig
I agree, the alluminum is a good heatsink and it is more durable. Why is it everytime someone gives a good answer someone comes along and states the opposite. Geese.