R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default Losi 8ight T 2.0 RTR Engine Break-In Method

AS title says, I just ordered a Losi 8ight T 2.0 RTR and need a good break-in method that will be easy and fast, i will be racing this Truggy on a weekly basis, only question i have is on breaking the engine in, Its been a while since ive had to break in a engine..
Thanks
rcking112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcking112 View Post
AS title says, I just ordered a Losi 8ight T 2.0 RTR and need a good break-in method that will be easy and fast, i will be racing this Truggy on a weekly basis, only question i have is on breaking the engine in, Its been a while since ive had to break in a engine..
Thanks
"the engine break in bible"

All you need to know.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcking112 View Post
Thanks
I have used this method for 5 engines. I have had no issues with the engines, my oldest is going on 8 gallons. Its still my primary engine.

http://www.ascendancyrc.com/page1.html
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If it's anything like the one in the buggy expect the pinch to be incredibly tight, it will likely bind on the starter box multiple times on you so keep an eye on the flywheel and make sure it's turning and if not pry the flywheel with a screwdriver to free it back up before trying again, otherwise you'll wear all the rubber off your starting box wheel.

Lots of people break them in different ways and they all claim their engines run good for a long time after, so just pick the method you like and go with it. At the end of the day the rtr motors are $100 engines, if you were concerned enough with your motor to worry too much about the break in you wouldn't be running an rtr motor :P I just idled 3 tanks through mine and then drove it in circles in the garage for the next 6-7 tanks, then took it to the track and let'r rip.

It took a whole gallon before I didn't have to worry about it binding up at TDC though, the pinch is incredibly tight on the losi rtr motors! (at least on the losi 350 in the buggy, but i assume the truggy rtr will be the same)
mdchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchris View Post
If it's anything like the one in the buggy expect the pinch to be incredibly tight, it will likely bind on the starter box multiple times on you so keep an eye on the flywheel and make sure it's turning and if not pry the flywheel with a screwdriver to free it back up before trying again, otherwise you'll wear all the rubber off your starting box wheel.

Lots of people break them in different ways and they all claim their engines run good for a long time after, so just pick the method you like and go with it. At the end of the day the rtr motors are $100 engines, if you were concerned enough with your motor to worry too much about the break in you wouldn't be running an rtr motor :P I just idled 3 tanks through mine and then drove it in circles in the garage for the next 6-7 tanks, then took it to the track and let'r rip.

It took a whole gallon before I didn't have to worry about it binding up at TDC though, the pinch is incredibly tight on the losi rtr motors! (at least on the losi 350 in the buggy, but i assume the truggy rtr will be the same)

WEll the Truggy motor is the 454 .28 engine, maybe it is, but maybe it isnt, who knows , ill find out.
rcking112 is offline   Reply With Quote