R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (http://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Regluing tires (http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/637365-regluing-tires.html)

BlockHed 06-13-2012 08:49 PM

Regluing tires

One of my tires became partially unglued. Can I just throw some more glue on it and be good to go or do I need to sand down the rim?

Thanks for any help

rcduder 06-13-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlockHed (Post 10857311)
One of my tires became partially unglued. Can I just throw some more glue on it and be good to go or do I need to sand down the rim?

Thanks for any help

if i were u i would sand down the rim and the tire a bit that way there both clean surfaces so u can have the glue stick like new again:nod: (almost like new again) :lol:

Rsickles 06-13-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcduder (Post 10857339)
if i were u i would sand down the rim and the tire a bit that way there both clean surfaces so u can have the glue stick like new again:nod: (almost like new again) :lol:

+1, and don't forget to clean the surface (rubbing alcohol works fine).

New glue on dry glue is a weaker bond than glue on the original surface, so chances are they will just come unglued again without proper prep.

BlockHed 06-13-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcduder (Post 10857339)

Thanks for the input, what grit would u recommend?

Also, do you use tire bands after gluing?

JoePit 06-13-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlockHed (Post 10857518)

I think tire bands are a good investment.

Akhor 06-14-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlockHed (Post 10857518)

I just use electrical tape wrapped tightly around the tire a couple of times.

Integra 06-14-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoePit (Post 10857777)
I think tire bands are a good investment.

X2 Dont waste Roll after roll of Tape when there's a Cheaper More effective solution. Sure tape works. But why not "Invest" the 5$ in bands and leave the tape out of the equation. :nod:

rcduder 06-14-2012 01:18 PM

i just use whatever grit i can find but i noticed that 100-300 grit ive liked the best but nothing over 600 grit i would recommend because that's a little to fine to do this.

tire bands are a great investment :nod: i for sure like em better then holding my tires or using tape like i used too

these are cheap and you get 8 of them

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXSK6&P=7

BlockHed 06-14-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcduder (Post 10860166)
i just use whatever grit i can find but i noticed that 100-300 grit ive liked the best but nothing over 600 grit i would recommend because that's a little to fine to do this.

tire bands are a great investment :nod: i for sure like em better then holding my tires or using tape like i used too

these are cheap and you get 8 of them

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXSK6&P=7

Thanks for the link, just ordered them! (they are on back order though...)

Jaz240 06-14-2012 06:01 PM

Wow $5 for 8 giant rubber bands? :weird: pay a little more and get actual tire mounting bands with the tabs on them. VP pro and Panther make them and mine have lasted 6 years so far. Just like everything else in this hobby you can buy cheap 3 times a year or buy good once every 3 years.

rcduder 06-14-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 10861099)
Wow $5 for 8 giant rubber bands? :weird: pay a little more and get actual tire mounting bands with the tabs on them. VP pro and Panther make them and mine have lasted 6 years so far. Just like everything else in this hobby you can buy cheap 3 times a year or buy good once every 3 years.

they are jconcepts though so they are quality ive been using them for awhile and trading off to others to use them :nod:

thenova70ss 06-14-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 10861099)

Yep i have a set of Panther bands that are about 8 years old and work GREAT :nod::nod::nod:.

rustlererad3 06-14-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsickles (Post 10857364)
+1, and don't forget to clean the surface (rubbing alcohol works fine).

New glue on dry glue is a weaker bond than glue on the original surface, so chances are they will just come unglued again without proper prep.

never did this till the last time i reglued my tires and what a difference sanding them down makes

offr0aden 06-15-2012 10:57 AM

If I can offer some advice on re-gluing .. I've taken a couple tires and rims .. placed them in the oven on 350 for 8 to 10 minutes - the glue crystallizes and you can break the bead.. Then pick off the glue from the tires and rim .. scuff / clean and re-glue..

I've done this in between races where I've had great traction but weak foams..

I use Windex to clean the surfaces before gluing..

Hope this helps.

token 06-15-2012 11:23 AM

Inner Tubes from dirtbikes work well and are free. I just went into a shop and asked for a used busted inner tube, cut it in strips, bam... I have enough to last me years. Tip came from one of our local Mugen Drivers.