R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default retuning savage xl

okay i need a lesson on retuning a nitro motor because i scrweed mine up royally struggling to ideal and no high speed please re educate me how to tune from square one
Old 06-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Start with idle gap. Turn your radio/receiver on. Make sure throttle is at neutral position. Take your air filter off and look down the bore of the carburetor. Now hit the brakes and make sure the carb doesn't move anymore. The carb should not move when you hit the brakes.

With brakes applied and at neutral throttle, there should be a small gap (about 0.5mm to 1.0mm). You can use the tip of a small paper clip as a gauge. Adjust as needed. Once you have idle gap set correctly, you shouldn't have to touch it again for a little bit.

Now, on to LSN. You will now use your LSN to adjust idle. Put your air filter back on and run the truck a little bit to bring it up to temp. If it doesn't idle, lean out your LSN until it does. Once you have a good idle, run the truck at full throttle for a little bit. Make sure it goes directly to idle when you let off the throttle.

If it bogs at full throttle, start leaning out the HSN. Use small increments and run it for about 30 seconds between adjustments. Make sure you ALWAYS have blue smoke exiting the pipe. As you lean out the HSN, you might notice the idle increasing. Richen the LSN accordingly to keep a lower idle.

Once you are happy with the HSN setting, run it at full throttle for a little bit then let it set and idle. It should immediately go to idle. Let it idle for about 10-15 seconds then mash it full throttle. There should be no hesitation or bogging. If it bogs when you nail it, lean the LSN and lower the idle, if necessary.

Always use small adjustments and run about 20-30 seconds in between adjustments.

This should get you started, but is by no means a perfect tuning method. Just what I use and seems to work well for me. As long as you have a decent amount of blue smoke through the entire powerband, you shouldn't have to worry about temps. Tune for performance and smoke, not temperature.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustlererad3 View Post
okay i need a lesson on retuning a nitro motor because i scrweed mine up royally struggling to ideal and no high speed please re educate me how to tune from square one
Straight from HPI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prX0OeQLrbw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nt5tA3vRl0
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote