R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Nitro Buggy Driving

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at rc tech forums for a while now and I noticed that there are alot.of threads about equipment and setup but not many threads about what is really important which is driving. Do you guys have any tips on driving?
Kaano97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madblu2

Practice and more practice.....
Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Practice is a big part, tune is a big part, tires are pretty important, driving smooth, keeping your cool. Dont try to race anyone. Drive your race, keep your line, and don't crash. Most of the time you will pass the person when they make a mistake or go wide etc. Thats when its safe, trying to race someone leads to a crash eventually unless its pro level and passing is clean. The main things to a race is keeping your cool and hold your nerves. What I found to help me from nerves are keep calm, head streight, and i will talk to myself in my heads telling myself just jeep cool and do what im doing. It really helps me.

Kyosho RB6 | Ko-Propo | Futaba | Turnigy | Orion | JC |

AE T4.2 | Ko-Propo | Savox | Turnigy | ProTek | JC |
NitroXray80809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Tech Master

1. Mental focus: nitro racing is very loud not only bc of the cars but because of pit guys yelling to their racers.. Also idiots on the drivers stand screaming at marshals and screaming bc they crash and just plain suck.. dont be that guy.. distractions are plentiful out there learn to block all this out while racing and never take your eyes off your car..

2.Slow is fast.. blowing corners and over jumping jumps and crashing.. going a little slower but staying on your wheels will eventually give you the ability to push the car faster and faster with out crashing... if you crash in a race and get out of your groove refocus and just run your race to the best of your ability.. not beyond your ability

3. not only practice but perfect practice.. the more quality practice you get with the fast guys will eventually make you faster.. practice tight lines and consistency..hitting the same spot in every corner every lap is crucial.. in off road flying thru the air and down sloping perfectly is just as important as cornering... doing one super fast lap is cool but wont get you through 5 min quals or 20-45 min mains..

watch F1 and watch how they defend when someone is trying to pass, how they pass someone and how they hit their lines every lap.. watch supercross which will help you in the off road area..

good luck and happy racing.. remember this is supposed to be fun!!!
Wheelie master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie master View Post
1. Mental focus: nitro racing is very loud not only bc of the cars but because of pit guys yelling to their racers.. Also idiots on the drivers stand screaming at marshals and screaming bc they crash and just plain suck.. dont be that guy.. distractions are plentiful out there learn to block all this out while racing and never take your eyes off your car..

2.Slow is fast.. blowing corners and over jumping jumps and crashing.. going a little slower but staying on your wheels will eventually give you the ability to push the car faster and faster with out crashing... if you crash in a race and get out of your groove refocus and just run your race to the best of your ability.. not beyond your ability

3. not only practice but perfect practice.. the more quality practice you get with the fast guys will eventually make you faster.. practice tight lines and consistency..hitting the same spot in every corner every lap is crucial.. in off road flying thru the air and down sloping perfectly is just as important as cornering... doing one super fast lap is cool but wont get you through 5 min quals or 20-45 min mains..

watch F1 and watch how they defend when someone is trying to pass, how they pass someone and how they hit their lines every lap.. watch supercross which will help you in the off road area..

good luck and happy racing.. remember this is supposed to be fun!!!
Good Point..... FUN Hobby + FUN racing
Hartw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Faster turns use a racing line. Slower turns are point and shoot, connect the dots. 1/8th scale handles different.

Some of the cars I've driven like being turned in early and put on the front diff early. Avoid coasting through long sweeping turns, use your front diff to pull through and steer. Like a 7/5/3 setup.

Just get the car to rotate hard so you never need full lock steering except in the slowest turns. Understeer is undrivable in 1/8th scale, don't waste your time practicing with a snowplow. I wasted an entire year (or two) of practice/racing with a snowplow and didn't even know it.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Slow down and dont crash........
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie master View Post
1. Also idiots on the drivers stand screaming at marshals and screaming bc they crash and just plain suck.. dont be that guy..
Very good point, I think a whole thread should be devoted to how stupid guys sound when they crash then yell at someone else for not turning them over quick enough. It really gets under my skin when I see people yelling at the marshals and some folks cussing them and calling them names. Sometimes there is an instance when you need to get someones attention because they just don't see your car turned over but you should never have to stoop to cussing and name calling. This is just a hobby and we are all out there to have fun. After all we are playing with remote control cars.

As far as driving advice, it has been mentioned already, slow down to go fast. Its hard to do but the most important thing is to be consistent and upright.
Maxxed-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Slow is fast. Wrecks are slow...but not the slow is fast kind of slow.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)
Default Conservative and Consistance!

I go for good average lap times and try to stay consistent! If you can push the car where your comfortable than do it and if you have to let off the throttle around turns or technical areas, I try to feather my way around until out of corner and punch it. Jumps are tricky and don't over shoot since it will kill time. Remember your trigger squeeze on all the jumps and it helps stay consistent on the track. Talk to the fast guys at local track and that helps me sometimes...Good info here!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't rely on your setup, you have to adapt to the car as well. I see guys at the track spending forever changing setups because they think it'll magically change the cars characteristics. Setup does, but it won't change what kind of car you drive.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by railer80 View Post
Don't rely on your setup, you have to adapt to the car as well. I see guys at the track spending forever changing setups because they think it'll magically change the cars characteristics. Setup does, but it won't change what kind of car you drive.
+1...and it won't change the fact that you're punched everywhere.

Ever wonder how guys get 10+ mins a tank? It's not magic - tune plays a big part, but so does your trigger finger. You should only be at full throttle maybe once a lap, if your track has a big long straight. Maintaining momentum is the key.

Also, learn to gauge your abilities against the top level drivers in your area. For example, I was at Hemet this past weekend for a JBRL and watched Adam Drake make a section only about half the time. I know that if he can only make something 50% of the time, it's really not even worth it for me to try to make it at all. Yet I still saw the majority of the sportsman guys gun it and hope for the best - lap after lap. Be realistic in your abilities and don't think you need to quad everything to be fast.

One last thing, don't let one mistake snowball into several. I see a lot of guys crash once early on, then strap it up and drive over their heads to try and make up time. It's impossible and usually leads to guys blowing out. Don't let a mistake frustrate you. You will make mistakes. Everyone does, we're human after all. My Dad has this saying that if you get marshalled, roll the next jump then get back into rhythm.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1. Practice with a purpose. Don't just practice for the sake of driving. Before going to the track, think about what you want to accomplish or try. For example, run one tank really aggressive and another smooth, would also be a good idea to do a run time test both tanks to see the difference. As a general rule, if you crash more than 1-3 times a qualifier (depending on track layout), slow down and get a better feel for your car because you could be driving faster than your abilities. If you don't crash, but need another few tenths a lap, drive very aggressive in practice, then in a race you will have a new 'normal pace' which will be faster. Stick with the same engine if you can, that way you will be familiar with the power band and know exactly how much throttle you need to clear jumps, get good run time, etc.

2. Learning your cars tendencies. Some cars are designed to be driven hard, others smooth. I feel setup is a major factor in racing. I'm not sure if everyone will agree with this but here it goes. Assuming same driver, the difference between a decent and a well setup car could be B main to overall TQ, if your class is competitive. I've noticed that qualifying positions are decided by tenths of a second in almost every race I go to. Even if you made one change to make your car to go .1 second faster than before in every corner (read slightly more steering), in a 10 lap qualifier with 10 corners that would be a 10 second difference in overall time, a huge difference in my opinion. Also try different setup options on your car, and think about how it changes the car and why, rather than a simple "more rear traction" statement. If you spend some time on this, it will be much more rewarding and the car will be faster/handle better as long as you are going in the right direction, than if you were to copy a setup off the internet, and simply drive it.

JQ Products, Pro-Line, TKO, Buku, Werks Fuel, Savox, A Main Hobbies, and Uncle Don's Hobbies
8ight-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Pick a setup, if you like it, drive your car a lot!

In my opinion, getting used to how your car handles will gain you much more then chasing that last teeny-tiny setup peice...
* AE SC10.2 (Hobbywing- Hitec - Proline - Lunsford)
* AE B4.1 WC (Hobbywing - Hitec)
SureShotImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
Tech Adept

try to practice with someone faster than you. start from the line together than tuck in behind them and stay there. try to fallow their lines. if you crash or get to far behind have them pull over and wait, and start again. once you can consistently keep up. switch spots and practice being the one thats getting chased. since being in first with someone pushing hard in a close second can be one of the hardest spots to be in. ultimately this will make both people better drivers.
Mark
markkris is offline   Reply With Quote