Wiki Posts
Search

Newbe, first nitro questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)
Default Newbe, first nitro questions.

Hey guys looking at getting into nitro. I have been running electric for some time and running and rc8.2e. Would you guys recommend a rtr like the losi eight 2.0 rtr, or get a kit and put my own motor in it? Also if i go the kit route which motor should i get? I would be looking for a motor that is easy to tune. i will be mainly club racing and no bashing.. Attached is a video of my local track.. Thanks for any advice or input!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Iphone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UJQ0OzT0p8
Old 05-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

If you have the RC8.2e, then by all means get then nitro version.. Makes part sourcing a lot easier..

For a good easy-to-tune engine, there are tons.. A Werks B6 with 2058 is probably a good place to start. Alpha, Werks, Nvision, Novarossi, Orion, OS - all the main .21 buggy engines are good. Look for one that's going for a good price. Amain did have a killer deal on the Nvision..
Old 05-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If u have and like the 8.2, just get the nirto version. If u want to go to something else, I love my Mugen MBX6R US. For engines, I'd look at the Werks B2 or B6 with a 2013 and/or 2058 pipe. I also like Savox servos. They r great and hard to beat.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I got a buddy who goes to trains and lanes here and there. But anyway i would get a KIT RTR is for beginners and dont last. Get .2 so ur parts interchange then for engine the best bang for your bucks, easy to tune and break in engine is the Dynamite XPE .21 EURO not any other dynamite just the xpe euro. It last very long, has tons of power and is real reliable. I trust that engine over most of my high end engines i own. Its fuel mileage is great aswell and glow plugs last forever no matter the tune. Then as fr as servos and battery packs dont go cheap spend the money and get it all once dont buy somthing cheap as a ok iteam for now just get the goods all at first it will save you money.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Tech Champion

RTR's can't hold up to track demands. Engines are too unreliable and the servos are fragile.

Get a Kit and go straight to a decent race mill. Nothing fancy, just a quality reliable unit. I can't tune sport plugs or cheap engines, but I do fine with turbo plug race mills.

Mugen/Xray/Kyosho/ Losi/ Serpent

OS 21xz-b/ 2090/ Nova short compact header/ P3 plug (easiest to tune engine out there)/ 30% Byrons.

Hitec 7955 servos on straight 2s lipo.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

get only the roller kit and take your time to build it. for great engine and easy to tune, look no other than alpha motor. F850 with 0801 pipe should be great with that track. affordable and tons of power. i think gunnar races there as well. he is an alpha sponsored driver. you can get it the combo from rcrenew.com(distributor) with break-in service. they are a chore to break-in because it's so tight. if you want a beast, you can get the A852/2090 ryan lutz edition.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would recommend the AE 8.2 and for an engine the Werks motors are nice but check out the Novarossi Line. A P5xlt is a good choice or even one of the Fusion X3's that Monty has helped designed. Check out the Houston's engine thread or go to http://houstonsengineservice.com/ to snoop around and see if they are in your price range.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Rookie

I am also new to the nitro classes and i recently bought the rc8 that was rtr thinking that I would run it like that, and right away I ended up buying a motor and servos for it, if i were you i would just buy a kit and put your own motor and servos in. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

+1 on getting a kit vs RTR. Werks or Novarossi too.
The best advice to a nitro newb would be to hook up with someone who knows how to properly run-in a new engine and tune them. Doesn't have to be the fastest guy at the track, just someone who knows what they're doing and is happy to help.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I too am getting into nitro for the first time although I have been racing 10th scale electric for awhile now, I have zero experience with the nitro side of things when it comes to motors. Anyone here have a "nitro for dummies" type forum for dummies like me?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Potoczak
Hey guys looking at getting into nitro. I have been running electric for some time and running and rc8.2e. Would you guys recommend a rtr like the losi eight 2.0 rtr, or get a kit and put my own motor in it? Also if i go the kit route which motor should i get? I would be looking for a motor that is easy to tune. i will be mainly club racing and no bashing.. Attached is a video of my local track.. Thanks for any advice or input!!
I'd stick with the 8.2. Take your time learning how to tune the nitro engine. My first few attempts at it weren't very successful.

They are more fun to drive than the ebuggies, though.

Good luck and get ready to empty your wallet!
Old 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Luvofgti22
I too am getting into nitro for the first time although I have been racing 10th scale electric for awhile now, I have zero experience with the nitro side of things when it comes to motors. Anyone here have a "nitro for dummies" type forum for dummies like me?
I know there's a rookie forum, but I'd search around on this forum for something. If u don't c a good thread, u can start one. And for engine advice, just search for the engine u want or have and there's most likely a thread for every engine. There's also a engine tuning guide on here
Old 05-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by polarbear72
I know there's a rookie forum, but I'd search around on this forum for something. If u don't c a good thread, u can start one. And for engine advice, just search for the engine u want or have and there's most likely a thread for every engine. There's also a engine tuning guide on here
Cool thanks ... Im trying to find what I need, I guess my problem is that I dont even know engine names and such, lol. I'll do some digging though before starting a thread.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Cool thanks ... Im trying to find what I need, I guess my problem is that I dont even know engine names and such, lol. I'll do some digging though before starting a thread.
U can search for nitro engine tuning guide and Squirrelod has some decent videos on youtube. All engines will pretty much tune the same regardless of brand or size. So find a good method and stick to that one. U can get too many opinions and get confused. Once u learn, you'll b able to tune by feel, sight, sound and a temp gun to just chk the temp. Each engine is different and will run at different temps. So don't let antone tell u to tune to a certain temp. I have some engines that run at 200 and some that like 235, just tune the engine properly, then u can take a temp and you'll know where that engine likes to run
Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Shoot me a PM if u need any help. If I don't know, I do know where to go to find out. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.