Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
AE RC8.2 vx HongNor X3 Sabre which one ? >

AE RC8.2 vx HongNor X3 Sabre which one ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AE RC8.2 vx HongNor X3 Sabre which one ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by offroad dude
Is there a track out there. I might have to fly with my stuff next trip. I'll be back again in 3 weeks.
yes there is.. not something big and wild but this is where I train..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI9FA...layer_embedded
Old 05-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

I was shocked when I saw this thread. I had the exact same question today when I started to research 8th scale Nitro kits. I have been completely focused on Short Couse classes until I was given the opportunity to move to Brazil for 3 years. Here the racing circuit is 8th scale Nitro so to race I have to follow what the class is.

I have always liked my AE 10th scale Short Course kits so I automatically like the RC8.2. I also have a Hong Nor (Jammin) SCRT10 that I have enjoy tuning and feel the quality of the kit is not bad. Since Hong Nor announced the X3 Sabre I have been open to the idea of getting on of them. Cost is very important to me so the Hong Nor kit comes with extra springs and sway bars.

So in Brazil they race Mugen, Kyosho, Losi, Associated, Serpent, Hyper, Caster and Hong Nor but parts are not easy to find and cost too much anyway. So I am planning to get the Saber X3 I think. Cost is a big factor.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Tech Initiate

hong nor pro kits are top quality. ive ran the x2 for a good while past its prime, holding its own against much newer cars. mostly because the cars are dnf proof. im very pleased with the new x3 kit was well worth the wait for it.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Those questions always pop up on forums. People always get stuck between 2 or more brands but the answer to their question cannot be based on statements made by the owners of X or Y brand. The answer to that question is easy to say but hard to make -> Go to a track, try both and make your own idea of what is better because what is better for x can be worse for y.
In order to compare 2/more cars there are lots of variables that should be considered.
The first one should be the facility to get parts. What matters if you have the best car "ever" if you can´t get fast support on the spare parts?
The second thing to consider should be the price. The cost of everything is really important (unless you are rich). When you buy a car instead of other car , you should think if the cost difference worth or not.
Other thing you should take in consideration is the fact that when you buy a car and you want the car to be "safe", if you need or not more upgrades.

Every car is good, every car can make good results if it is on the "right" hands at the right "time".
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

No experience with the X3 but I have nothing negative to report about the RC8.2. I switched from an 8ight 2.0 about two months ago and I love it. Fit and finish were well beyond my expectations with this car. Local parts support isnt real good in my area for any manufacturer so that wasnt a deciding factor.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Go for the 8.2
Old 05-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

I was checking the Championship series in my area and they most popular vehicles are Mugen, RC8, and Losi. No Ofna at all and a mix of Hot Bodies, Agama, and Serpent. So I guess I will be going with the RC8.2 now since there are sponsored drivers in the series that can support me locally. Sorry HongNor. I like the X3 kit a lot!!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

8.2... proven and is almost unbreakable... i would let anyone drive mine with confidence it wouldnt break.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Personally, I would say get the RC8.2, I LOVE mine.

But go with the brand you have the best support in your area and which buggy you feel the most confident with.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I own both and raced both with the same engine and electronics on back to back weeks at the same track. I feel faster and more confident with the X3 except in extreme nose down landings, the X3 doesnt handle them as well as the 8.2. None of the local hobby shops carry 8.2 parts or X3 parts because we have a bunch of Losi fanboys around here, so I have to order parts for either one. R2 will get you what you need from Nitrohouse ASAP on the X3. He sent me a part Priority Mail for free that was missing out of my kit and it arrived in time for me to race the next day and Amain will carry the 8.2 parts. The main advantage to the 8.2 is the pro drivers that use em at big races are more than willing to help set the car up. So far I own the only X3 Ive seen in person.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like cars that are easy to work on and with the fewest parts, so I prefer the x3
the x3 drives very very good and easy too, yet a few upgrades needed perhaps as it is new
the rc8.2 is a accomplished model now, but also already looks pity old by design and parts, hope they work on a new model
every car can be made to drive ok

Last edited by speedy2; 06-06-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

And the X3 is new by design? No offense to HN, but the X3 isn't any more refined than any other buggy. The RC8.2 is the brand new revision of all the other rc8 buggies. How is it old by design?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by SureShotImages
And the X3 is new by design? No offense to HN, but the X3 isn't any more refined than any other buggy. The RC8.2 is the brand new revision of all the other rc8 buggies. How is it old by design?
its funny you guys say that about "old by design" it mirrors the KYO buggy and its arguably the best.. but when something new and crazy innovative comes out.. you guys don't want to jump all over it, and don't want to touch it. you'd rather stick to a tried and tested design.

sometimes it just works.. i'm learning this lesson AGAIN today.. my 79 monte carlo which is more reliable than any car that has come out in the last 33yrs was but on wknd duty as i bought a newer car, which has failed me 3x's in the 4 yrs of its existance

however, i love the new toys.. my Durango's have been a blast
Old 06-01-2012, 11:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Is it Team Associated Champion by design?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

IMHO... there are 3 major brands that stand out, they are Associated, kyosho and mugen.

they are the brands that have the "most consistant" results over time.

There is a current brand filled with "fan boys" and we all know who they are, but results are only showing that every now and again are they are the top. but ill leave banana a-arms to someone else.

Hotbodies are looking good when they have a new tessman version

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.