R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider30250 View Post
I know Mike, they are not completely bullet proof but no arm is. The two newbies I have been helping out have so far have broken arms/shock ends/rod ends on their Losi's. The thing to keep in mind with any truck or buggy that is right against the bottom limit on weight is something had to be built out of light weight thin material and as a result parts do break more often. I have replaced more arms on my Mugen from just plain old wear than I ever have due to breakage. If as a driver you tend to hit things alot then you need to keep in mind that you may have to replace part's more.

Take care Mike, if you race at Cape Fear on June 23rd ill probably see you there.
Yep, every car has their inherent weaknesses. I never broke a single arm on my O'Donnell truggy, but it had issues with the inner hinge pins bending. The difference there was that a bent pin would allow you to finish a race....a broken arm will not. It also took a HUGE hit to bend them, not like the mugen arms that seem to break if you just land awkwardly.

What I find very odd is that Mugen continually refuses to address the issue, even when top level drivers have concerns. Other than the arms, I've been very happy with the truck. It handles very well, and does exactly what I want it to do.

Although, now that Hobbico owns Durango, I'll probably be switching to the DNX408T at the end of this season, but that's another thread entirely...
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
Tech Regular

OK, there are points of view in both truggies,,,,,, i'm in the process of a hard mind blowing decission, i am currently running the serpent off road range consisting of the 811B, 811T, and 811Be, the 811T truggy, after driving the XRAY XT8 FOR MANY YEARS WAS A MAINTANENCE NIGHTMARE, rear outdrive bearings and rear pinion gear bearings, needed constant replacing, just so i had peace of mind while racing.
Example saturday night replaced every bearing in the truck and the rear pinion failed, while 33 sec up on the field, the truggy was dailed but this bearing problems is distracting because of the constant thinking will it last.

I know there are new version to fix this problem, but as racers do you want to keep buying new versions to keep it going, some new versions are needed but why would a company put a flanged bearing in a rear diff of a trugyy seeing that losi did it and rear failure was common place.

DONT GET ME WRONG THE TRUCK IS GREAT TO DRIVE, it is your choice.

As for the mugen this is where the decission for me is hard they do break arms, YES, now they are starting to break the dog bones under load, happening alot at our club, front diffs are going rear diffs are going, but they say it's maintenance, no, as cars that are religiously rebuilt each meeting , these things are happening. I've order the new Mugen 6Tr get it next week, but as with every car out there there are issues it just depends on what you are actually after, the best advice given so far was to look local and question drivers of each and go from there, i and many others could ppoint out the drama's with every truck out there, but where do you stop.

ENJOY YOU DECISSION,
Thanks to - SWORKZ Aust / Ryper Hobbies - SWORKz S350 EVO II Limited Edition / SWorkz S350T Pro Competition - AKA Aust - INTENSE RC HOBBIES - RB-BARMAH RC - TEAM UPGRADE RC -PLAIG BEARINGS - WALTER R/C Hobby - SERPENT Spyder SCT SRX-2 -SERPENT Spyder RM - SERPENT Spyder ST - SERPENT F110
DIRTMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #18
psr
Tech Regular

i have raced both with the same track time on each

they both are great trucks it wont matter wich one you get as they are both dialed platforms you will love them both pick the one that appeals to yoy the most and stick with it dont swap and changed develope it to youe driving parts availability will pay a big role
go to the local shop and see whats available dont listen to the hype the guys behind the counter are telling you look at there parts and ask the guys whos racing them about there parts etc they will tell you
psr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #19
Tech Master

through it all.. it comes down to parts support.. making a race day go smooth is what you want.. if mugens are dominant in you area get one.. if there are some serpents running around then try it out.. as long as there might be someone that has a spare you might not have..

i love my serpent trug and it never breaks.. as far as the rear diff bearing issue.. ive never had a failure.. as long as you maintain your cars you wont have a problem with it.. ive only had one bearing fail on me.. probably a bad bearing.. and in regards to the rear body mount buy a copperhead body for it and the rear mounts get turned around
Wheelie master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
Flip a coin to see

Thats how close they are.
...just make sure that when you flip that coin, it doesn't land on the Mugen's from A-arm or you may break it

All kidding aside, the Mugens are super fast, dialled machines, but I've seen way too many break to make them reliable. Regardless of what some will say ( like 'drive better', or 'any truck will break when crashing at high speed' etc, etc ), the Mugen can break even when you drive well, and even when you land properly, the arms can snap. If it wasn't for that, they'd be a great machine.

The Serpent is flat out awesome. It's solid, nimble, fast and dialled. It could use bigger bearings in some places, but if you do regular maintenance on it, you will be A-OK. I've only ever had one rear hub bearing fail, and only broke one piece of plastic on it ( the rear camber rod end ) in the several gallons that I've pumped through it. It's taken hits that made me cringe and drove away without failure( most of the crashes I have are at high speed ). Never had any diff or driveshaft issues yet..it's a great machine, and Serpent America has excellent support should you need it.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #21
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have driven both trucks and serpent wins for 2 big reasons. The serpent is durable, no broken arms or other parts really and the serpent drives nicer. The Mugen is a great truck but I have pulled more broken mugens off the track than any other vehicle. When I drove a 6t I suffered a fair share of broken arms as well. I don think there was any runnig. Hangs in the arms besides updated package graphics. I have compared them side by side. The serpent does need larger outter wheel bearings but the pinion bearings have been solid. You need a couple upgrades but te list is small. I drive what I like the most and the serpent cars have been good to me.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

You have indicated 6tr in you topic that truggy isn't even out yet
So it's impossible to compare the two
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Rsickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
A lot of guys are already running the +5 chassis and battery forward mod on their 6T's.

Unless the silver carbon stuff is worth a couple seconds off lap times, I think they're close enough to compare. But how many people giving input have legitimately spent time driving both trucks? That's another question entirely.
Rsickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #24
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsickles View Post
A lot of guys are already running the +5 chassis and battery forward mod on their 6T's.

Unless the silver carbon stuff is worth a couple seconds off lap times, I think they're close enough to compare. But how many people giving input have legitimately spent time driving both trucks? That's another question entirely.
1 driver here. I have spent a lot of time drving both trucks and I have taken both trucks to The Dirt Nitro Challenge. But that's a very good point.

Mugen 6t DNC 2011
Serpent 811t DNC 2012
Old 06-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
MBX6TR may not be here yet, but have driven one's with the upgrade. Not putting anything down that i haven't tried kind of defeats the purpose of commenting on this subject really.
Thanks to - SWORKZ Aust / Ryper Hobbies - SWORKz S350 EVO II Limited Edition / SWorkz S350T Pro Competition - AKA Aust - INTENSE RC HOBBIES - RB-BARMAH RC - TEAM UPGRADE RC -PLAIG BEARINGS - WALTER R/C Hobby - SERPENT Spyder SCT SRX-2 -SERPENT Spyder RM - SERPENT Spyder ST - SERPENT F110
Old 06-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Serpent is solid and it wears awesome both trucks are good but i would say the mugen is more vulnerable to a dnf. Parts isnt a issue people get hung up on this buy enough spares then replace when you use don't buy as things break. I like the mugen if they would address the arm issue they would get more racers also a lot would stay with them. Buy what your gut is telling you if you don't like it sell then buy another that's what makes this hobby fun spending moneyn
Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjayjay1 View Post
Buy what your gut is telling you if you don't like it sell then buy another that's what makes this hobby fun spending moneyn
money money money, the miss's loves me spending NOT WON A FEW CARS AT SO CALLED TRACK RAFFLES, gezz she thinks i'm lucky
Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTMONKEY View Post
money money money, the miss's loves me spending NOT WON A FEW CARS AT SO CALLED TRACK RAFFLES, gezz she thinks i'm lucky
Lol that's classic.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Send a message via Skype™ to pravesh736

between the 2 that's listed id say serpent . no personal experience of owning them but have driven both . seen mugens break arms like its wafers .

ps- if u dont want to break arms get a losi ..
Old 06-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #30
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Broke 3 lower arms and one upper arm on my MBX6T. Yeah, you'll hear some of the fanboys say there is nothing wrong with the truck, and to drive more carefully, but hey, its 1/8 offroad and sh*t happens. I've put the same amount of wheel time or more in my RC8T, and lot of other 1/8th buggies and I never had an arm breakage issue until I built up my Mugen.

I slapped on some MBX5T lower arms on my 6T.....lets see if they hold up a little better...
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote