R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-21-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Buggy in my dishwasher.

I already know the basics to this cleaning meathod, but I need someone to explain the finer details to me. Obviously take engine and radio tray out, put it on top rack and angle the bottom of the buggy slightly upward, but what settings do I put the washer on? Do I use the same detergent I would use if I were doing the dishes? Do I use no detergent? How long do I leave it in there? The whole cycle? And at the end, I will obviously dry the water with a compressor, then hit it with WD40.

Thanks guys!
* AE SC10.2 (Hobbywing- Hitec - Proline - Lunsford)
* AE B4.1 WC (Hobbywing - Hitec)
SureShotImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShotImages View Post
I already know the basics to this cleaning meathod, but I need someone to explain the finer details to me. Obviously take engine and radio tray out, put it on top rack and angle the bottom of the buggy slightly upward, but what settings do I put the washer on? Do I use the same detergent I would use if I were doing the dishes? Do I use no detergent? How long do I leave it in there? The whole cycle? And at the end, I will obviously dry the water with a compressor, then hit it with WD40.

Thanks guys!
I have never tried this method, but I remove the engine and radio tray (like you said) drench w/ simple green and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then I get a hose and blast it clean. I dry it w/ the air compressor and finish w/ Kal-gard prep and shine. Brand new every time.

Since I now live in a townhome, I don't have access to a hose unless I'm at the track. So instead of the hose, I have to wait till my wife is at work and rinse it off in the kitchen sink - everything else is the same.
305M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305M3 View Post
I have never tried this method, but I remove the engine and radio tray (like you said) drench w/ simple green and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then I get a hose and blast it clean. I dry it w/ the air compressor and finish w/ Kal-gard prep and shine. Brand new every time.

Since I now live in a townhome, I don't have access to a hose unless I'm at the track. So instead of the hose, I have to wait till my wife is at work and rinse it off in the kitchen sink - everything else is the same.
Or the shower
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

Shower works great when the weather outside sucks ;-)
Come race with us! http://www.capefearraceway.com
Thanks to my 2014 Sponsors: TritonRC/RcRenew.com, RadioPost, AKA Tires
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Tech Elite

You HAVE to blow the water off. You can not leave it in the dishwasher to dry. It will rust......
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
pgk
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm not to sure about using dishwasher detergent, that stuff is very caustic. Make sure blowout the bearings real good and relube.. (:
pgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Now with this method, wouldn't you have to tear everything like the diff cases apart to get the water out?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What I just thought about doing was taking the shocks off, all 3 diffs out and all of the bearings along with the diveline components. I would clean those by hand to prevent rust, then re-assemble after the other parts went through the washer. I would spray the rest with simple green and let it sit for 10 minutes, then toss it into the dish washer with no detergent and set it on cold and leave it for one cycle. I could blast it with WD40 and re-assemble when everything was done with. This way I prevent rust, but dont have to do a complete teardown, when I don't need to
* AE SC10.2 (Hobbywing- Hitec - Proline - Lunsford)
* AE B4.1 WC (Hobbywing - Hitec)
SureShotImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket

Don't run the heat cycle, not to good for that blue aluminum fancy stuff
Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShotImages View Post
What I just thought about doing was taking the shocks off, all 3 diffs out and all of the bearings along with the diveline components. I would clean those by hand to prevent rust, then re-assemble after the other parts went through the washer. I would spray the rest with simple green and let it sit for 10 minutes, then toss it into the dish washer with no detergent and set it on cold and leave it for one cycle. I could blast it with WD40 and re-assemble when everything was done with. This way I prevent rust, but dont have to do a complete teardown, when I don't need to
Since you are already tearing down most of the car anyway, why not clean it by hand instead of using the dishwasher? That way you can completely inspect your car while cleaning it as well....
Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 View Post
Since you are already tearing down most of the car anyway, why not clean it by hand instead of using the dishwasher? That way you can completely inspect your car while cleaning it as well....
+1... I pull motor and radio tray after every outing. Simple green then hose off. 2 applications if necessary. Blow car off real good (that didn't sound right at all) and it's clean as a whip.
Fear Farm Raceway
JoePit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePit View Post
+1... I pull motor and radio tray after every outing. Simple green then hose off. 2 applications if necessary. Blow car off real good (that didn't sound right at all) and it's clean as a whip.
HAHAHAHA...
305M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

During the years that I traveled to race I washed my buggy several times in a motel shower.
I had a portable air compressor I carried with me to help blast away all the water.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
Tech Elite

The easiest and fastest will be simple green, water hose and air compressor...
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Just drag it into the shower and hose it down with Simple Green. The dishwasher is overkill and the pressure jets of the dishwasher will blast the grease off your bearings and push dirt into them.

Not to mention that you don't want automotive lubricants building up in your dishwasher. If you use your dishwasher to clean guns and RC's, never use it for dishware ever again.

Scrubbrush and Simple Green, then rinse off with slow moving COLD water, not a pressure hose. Dry it off with a hairdryer, WD40, and a squirt of TAG body spray.

Don't let your Wife catch you naked in the shower with your RC car..........that won't go over too well, and we all look crazy enough as is.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links