R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Should I get a new buggy?

I know this will open a big can of worms. But I'm new to 1/8 buggies, I bought a RC8RS and after putting in a good engine, savox servos, changing fluids and a few tweaks, I'm so happy with it and actually running well with it. I know its a older tech buggy, but I got it cheap to see if I would like the class. I absolutely love the class. I've been told I'd b faster if I got a new Mugen or RC8.2 or just about anything newer. I've honestly had no handling, turning, jumping or any kind of issues with my RC8. No, I'm not winning yet, but I've only raced it twice. The question is should I get something newer? R the newer designs that much better? R they faster or just handle better or what? I know these sound like noob questions, and maybe they r, but I'm just wondering if spending another 600 is going to make me better or just 600 bucks poorer. I like to have the latest and greatest like everybody, but I don't wanna spend money that I don't have to. Thx guys
polarbear72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default Happy

If you are satisfied with the handling the durability and comfortable driving the car then no you don't need to spend more money. When you get to a point that you can out drive the car and it doesn't do what you want it to after trying different setups then yes it'd time to move on.
Sidewinder fuel
Upgrade Rc
Drip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Ok. Thx. So far it has done everything I asked it to do. If it starts breaking or I get better than the buggy, I'll look to upgrade then. Thx for your input
Old 05-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default True

One thing that stuck out in my mind is you only raced it twice. I would run the one you have for a while until the outdrives get worn for example. Put some wear and tear on it for a while then when you get a nice fresh new buggy you will have been used to wrenching on it and learned so much you will be ready. It doesn't take too long to wear out a buggy, so put a little money aside each month so in say 5-6 months when you go to buy a new one you already have the money ready.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Ok. Will do. I've been racing 1/10 awhile, but I only have 2 races on the 1/8 buggy. I guess it all started from a friend that said how well I took to 1/8 and I would b even better with a newer tech buggy. I think I'm gonna run this one thru the summer and maybe get a new one n the Fall. Thx for ya'lls advice