Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Help converting starter box to run on car battery... >

Help converting starter box to run on car battery...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help converting starter box to run on car battery...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Help converting starter box to run on car battery...

So I have a Losi starter box from an 8ight-T RTR and I want to wire it up to run off a 12v car battery or gel cel. I have searched and had a look at some of the other threads which were very helpful. However, I still have a few questions.

The box uses a single motor but 2 batteries in series. If I simply remove the yellow series wire and use alligator clips on the red and black wires would that work?

What guage wire should I use for best results?

Any other tips would be good.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HYPA
So I have a Losi starter box from an 8ight-T RTR and I want to wire it up to run off a 12v car battery or gel cel. I have searched and had a look at some of the other threads which were very helpful. However, I still have a few questions.

The box uses a single motor but 2 batteries in series. If I simply remove the yellow series wire and use alligator clips on the red and black wires would that work?

my tip is buy a 4 cell lipo 2100 for starter box its more then sufficient.

i feel bad for whoever has to pit you..i wouldnt wanna carry a car battery to pit you...
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HYPA

I would definitely go the lipo route. However, you are correct in wanting to remove the wire that connects the two connectors (usually yellow) and alligator clips connected to the black and red wires would be correct.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wheelie master

i feel bad for whoever has to pit you..i wouldnt wanna carry a car battery to pit you...
It's just a basher...
Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wheelie master

My engines don't flame out so it stays running right from the pits.
And on the way back to the pits... carry a fuel bottle man!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

almost everybody runs a car batery on a box over here. at our bench we run 4 boxes of one batery for the whole weeken..no issues. I have the ofna(qworld) truggy box and basically what i did is replace all the retarded tamiya plugs with some deans and wire it with any semi proper wire...i used some stuff i had left over from electric cars....just hook it up to batery terminals and it all works. people saying that they feel sorry for the guy who has to carry it around need to tell their pit guy to man-the-F#$@-up lol...a small car batery is not that heavy and it has a handle. best thing is...i charge my battery once a month

Edit: we also dont use alligator connectors..just go buy some round "washer" lugs at you hardware store...solder them to your positive and negative and conncet them up. most car battery lugs have nut connectors on them...so you can just unscrew them by hand..put you box lugs on there and hand tighten...and they wont come off. there is nothing wierd about using a car battery..no special wiring needed...i just re wired my box since they wire they come with is notorious for frying. car battery is just 12V anyway
Attached Thumbnails Help converting starter box to run on car battery...-img_1279.jpg  

Last edited by Sideshow Bob; 05-11-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I buddy rigged up an old Ofna box for me. Hooked it to a big Interstate 12v deep cycle. I have the battery in a tool box/pit box and the starter box sits on the lid. I've only charged the thing twice in 6 months. Not even sure I needed to!
I wouldn't want this for racing but it's awesome for a weekend session with friends. Everyone can use it and the battery will not die or even slow down.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Those lead gell cell batteries that fit in starter boxes and airplane boxes are allways dead. They don't hold a charge as well as a Lipo. And they have no balls.

Get a 4 cell 5000mah Lipo. My truggy box goes entire months on a charge. Weighs next to nothing.

I allways add a set of bannana plug outlets so I can use a powerful adjustable glow driver. The little nicad drivers are fine if you have a broken in engine. But I have better luck with wired drivers that can get that plug white hot.

I use an Optima battery with a 6A Kohler battery charger on it's top as a power supply for my chargers. Unlimited clean power. No worries about someone poping the tracks out let this way. It would also work great for you starter box, and it recharges itsself as long as it's plugged in. I can get pics later if you want to see my setup.