Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Snapped Allen Head in Set Screw >

Snapped Allen Head in Set Screw

Snapped Allen Head in Set Screw

Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Default dont use too much threadlock

Perfect example of why you shouldn't put a bunch of threadlock on small grub screws. I bought a used roller recently and I had to drill out almost every 3mm grub since the previous owner seized them all up with too much threadlock. They would strip when you tried to remove them. I could drill them all the way through then remove the excess with a screw extractor. Luckily I could just re-tap the hole with a 3mm tap if the threads got buggered.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just figured I would report back. I took the carrier and threw it as FAR as I can into the desert. Then I took the Harbor Freight extractor set and did the same thing. I feel much better now.

By the way the Allen broke when I was trying to put it back together. Everything came apart just fine, but the set screw simply would not screw in properly. This is not a case where I used to much Loctite. Guess Losi will get me for another $90.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Were you just trying to get the allen out or the grub screw too?

Since the hub is aluminum you could try tack welding the whole grub screw onto a steel dowel/rod, and twist it back out.

Of course the easiest method is if you know a machinist... give it to them. Case of beer is cheaper than new carriers.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rsickles
Were you just trying to get the allen out or the grub screw too?

Since the hub is aluminum you could try tack welding the whole grub screw onto a steel dowel/rod, and twist it back out.

Of course the easiest method is if you know a machinist... give it to them. Case of beer is cheaper than new carriers.
I tried both. After all the drilling the allen and grub became one. I still have the carrier so I might bring it to someone tomorrow. I called a close friend that's a machinist, and his message stated he was out of the country till next week The spindles are on back order to boot. What upsets me most is that I only have 2 rides on this set.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Sorry we couldnt help
Old 05-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Joe, just drill it out of there and drill the hole out also and then re-tap it for a 4mm set screw. You need a drill press
Old 05-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Joe, just drill it out of there and drill the hole out also and then re-tap it for a 4mm set screw. You need a drill press
I ordered another set in the meantime till my friend with a press gets back from his vacation. I would be willing to pay someone local to fix this for me if anyones interested.

Thanx for all the help
Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm tellen ya, small strong magnet always works for me. It's not like that piece is glued in there. No need to drill anything. I use one of those little magnets on a retractable rod for when you drop something. You just need to find one with a small tip since it is a little recessed.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCmayor
I'm tellen ya, small strong magnet always works for me. It's not like that piece is glued in there. No need to drill anything. I use one of those little magnets on a retractable rod for when you drop something. You just need to find one with a small tip since it is a little recessed.
Work it around with the tip of a exacto knife and then use a strong magnet.. Always works for me.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nothin special
Work it around with the tip of a exacto knife and then use a strong magnet.. Always works for me.
Yep, sometimes you have to work it loose a little cause a hex that breaks usually gets stuck at the engaged position. That's why in my original post I mentioned tapping on the broken piece a little. It loosens it from a stuck position a little. I don't know how many tips over the years have broken off in pinion set screws. Several at least.