R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default newbie to kits?

So I'm going to get into 1/8th bashing around. I looked at quite a few RTR but they had a lot of stuff I didn't want, crappy radio, lots of plastic, poor this, poor that. I understand its a price point etc, that I will have to replace in a short time. One of the rtr kits I looked at didn't even have full bearings, that was a recipe for disaster down the line.

Sometime back I built an electric tamiya buggy and that was fun but I realised electric is not for me. I noticed there is not many 'cheap' kits around for nitro 1/8th, and going from cheap rtr to a nicer kit is not a lot more and I get to pick the things I want (better servo, better radio, full bearings, less plastic where it counts, etc) and have fun of building it.

So... I've decided to get either Agama A8 evo or Sworkz s350 bk1 and work from there.

For radio, I have an airtronics sd-6 for planes but that is plain fhss and air only so I cant use that for cars so I was looking at the airtronics mx3x.

servos, two savox SC-1256TGs.
engine wise I was looking at the NVB521R or the Werks b5/B2 to start off with. Do turbo plugs use more fuel than standard plugs?

I don't know anything about racing or even if there are tracks near me, so primarily I will be backyard bashing. I willing to bite on the agama/sworkz to get a nicer car that should last me longer and if I put it together should be able to understand how to fix/repair/replace parts etc.

thoughts anyone? any particular reason to go for sworkz over agama or other way around etc?
BloodyCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Don't think you could go wrong with either of those buggies, and as everyone says, go with the one that you can get good local parts support for.

The costs start adding up when you start from scratch (as I'm finding out with my TD dnx408!). Have you looked at something like the Losi 8IGHT 2.0 RTR package (particulalry if its just for backyard bashing and not racing)? Has quite good specs, and comes with all the gear you need (incl starter box and 2.4 spcetrum radio) and is competent competition vehicle out of the box.....

If I had to do it again, I *may* have gone the losi (purely from a financial view point), but I wanted a challenge and something engineered a little differently to everything else out there (hence the dnx408).

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Hi wombat (I'm an ex melbournian!), I've looked at te losi 28ight 2.0 rtr, but I dont like the starterbox, I want the ofna box with the integrated plugs for glow igniter, and I'm not an spektrum/dssm fan I'd rather go with airtronics the same as my plane transmitter etc.

I'm really interested more in a kit over a prebuilt car but I'll see..
BloodyCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The losi RTR is by far the best deal out there. You'll easily have over 1000$ trying to put one together yourself. And as far as plastic pieces everywhere. Plastic is lighter, and doesn't bend. Metal bends and breaks other parts along with it. That's why there's so much plastic everywhere. you shouldn't see to much metal on the cars, unless they're cheap and trying to look fast.
bevofrancis is offline   Reply With Quote