Wiki Posts
Search

AKA Tires with LPR Rims???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default AKA Tires with LPR Rims???

I will be running a Jammin' X2-CRT this year and I would like to try some AKA tires. I have read that the AKA tires are comparable to Proline's LPR line when it comes to sizing except that AKA tires a a little wider.

My problem is that the X2-CRT needs the 1/2" offset rims and AKA does not have rims with that offset. Will I be able to mount AKA tires and foams on Proline LPR rims without any issues?

Or can I somehow run zero offset rims?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Check out king headz, they make extended wheel hexes. I know I used the 1/2" off set one for my losi 1.0t I would check with Steve Hale or Taylor James to make sure you get the right ones for a Jammin'

Also, I have never used the proline wheels but losi also makes a 1/2 off-set wheel and they work well with AKA tires. But I would invest in the wheel hexes, that way if/when you move on to a different truck you aren't stuck with a bunch of tires that won't work on other trucks!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Initiate

So wheel hex extenders won't cause a problem? I have seen them out there, but I wasn't sure if that was the right way to go or not.

I'll see what Steve and Taylor have to say.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

run AKA tires on proline wheels, it will be fine. i have AKA tires on Losi LPR wheels and they work great and plus those wheels dont crack like the AKA wheels do. i am running the X2 CRT too, atleast i was until i put it up for sale. the Losi wheels are awesome very strong, i also have a set of AKA wheels and they cracked the first day i used them so i wont run them again. but i run AKA wheels on my buggy and i dont have a problem with the buggy AKA wheels.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
run AKA tires on proline wheels, it will be fine. i have AKA tires on Losi LPR wheels and they work great and plus those wheels dont crack like the AKA wheels do. i am running the X2 CRT too, atleast i was until i put it up for sale. the Losi wheels are awesome very strong, i also have a set of AKA wheels and they cracked the first day i used them so i wont run them again. but i run AKA wheels on my buggy and i dont have a problem with the buggy AKA wheels.
This is my second year running AKAs on the truggy, never had a problem with them cracking and I have several wheels that I have reused 3 or 4 times now and still no problems.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

You can also run the AKA tires on the new VTR rims, but you will have to trim the inner bead of the tire off. The VTR rims mount up like buggy tires, and are just a little bit taller than the proline LPR rims.A good pair of lexan scissors is all you need
Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You can run AKA tires on proline LPR wheels. No problem there.

I agree about the hex extenders though. Most truggies use zero offset wheels now. You will be better off in the long run using extenders and zero offset wheels.

I have cracked a couple of the early version AKA truggy wheels. They have since been updated and are good to go now.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jmaxey51
My Dad's AKA truggy wheels have cracks along the inside of the rim, but all of my buggy tires mounted with AKA wheels have held up nice. I think AKA will become like fine wine, and just keep getting better the longer they are around.

-Bo
Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

taylor james was running a losi at silver state

he is no longer with jammin..
Old 03-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

The cracking of AKA rims were in the early production run and they have since changed the truggy rim and added a shoulder on the inside. They will replace any that are cracked if you contact them on it. You can run those tires on Proline LPR's, Losi LPR's and JConcept half ups with no problem.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool. Thanks for all of the info. It looks like the 12 mm hex extenders will work well enough. I'll go that route so I can run zero offset wheels.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sholler
You can also run the AKA tires on the new VTR rims, but you will have to trim the inner bead of the tire off. The VTR rims mount up like buggy tires, and are just a little bit taller than the proline LPR rims.A good pair of lexan scissors is all you need
How? 3.7 - 4.0 ? ? ?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

I called AKA, they said they have been having problems with the truggy wheels cracking, and are still working on getting it fixed. They also said that if a set of AKA wheels cracked, you could send them in and they would replace them, if they are still reasonably new. But since my Dad's cracked, and he kept running them they can't do anything about those, which is understandable. Now I wish I had sent them in after they cracked his second race. lol But all I did was hit the crack with some CA, and they have held fine since and haven't cracked anymore.

Sorry for the thread jack.

-Bo
Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokinu
taylor james was running a losi at silver state

he is no longer with jammin..
Yep I heard he was leaving jammin. Maybe losi will pick him up. He's a good guy and a great driver!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by geejay
How? 3.7 - 4.0 ? ? ?
It works just fine and doesnt hurt the foams or the tire. Just gotta cut the inner bead out of the tire and your set.

Give it a try, makes a very good AKA tire even better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.