Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8ight-T or Hot Bodies D8T + Werks B5? New to racing... >

Losi 8ight-T or Hot Bodies D8T + Werks B5? New to racing...

Losi 8ight-T or Hot Bodies D8T + Werks B5? New to racing...

Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight-T or Hot Bodies D8T + Werks B5? New to racing...

I am looking for my first truggy to get into racing and am wondering what I should get. I don't have too much to spend, and I was looking at the Losi 8ight-T rtr kit as many people recommended it for someone just getting into racing. The main thing I like about the kit is that it is RTR and everything comes with it.

I am also looking at the Hot Bodies D8T as it has been commonly recommended to me and I would be able to piece together a kit with the parts I want. As of now I do not have anything. No radio, electronics, etc. so I would be buying pretty much everything. If I went with the D8T I was thinking about getting the Werks B5 to pair with it. What else would I have to get to be RTR? A radio and receiver, servos, starter box, and what else besides the usual fuel, glow starter, etc.

What would you recommend? Thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

For a first itme truggy, the Losi RTR is hard to beat. It has everything needed to run(minus fuel). Then as it wears out, you can replace the RTR parts with kit parts.

It doesn't need anything out of the box to race. Once you learn to tune the engine, you can upgrade the 454 motor in it. But it is a pretty good motor. Good power and runtime,

I would steer you toward the Losi, if for no other reason, because of parts support. You can get parts everywhere.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the advice

This is definitely a tough decision!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

there is nothing like buying a kit and building it yourself. plus you can get all the good stuff first... then you wont have to worry about reliability, a RTR is STILL a RTR.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

On a budget the RTR is probably the best bet. If you were to go with a D8T, you would need 2 servos, rx/tx, engine, pipe, clutch setup, rims and tires. The cost will be alot more right out the gate to set up a D8T
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. As of now I think I'm leaning toward the RTR kit as it comes with everything I need. As parts wear out I'll upgrade them and then maybe when I'm ready for a new truggy I'll get a kit as my experience grows
Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

I agree with Cyberacer..the 8T 2.0 RTR is one of the best deals on the market quality VS price VS what you get. It's also a great way to learn this awesome platform as you go.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cyberacer
For a first time truggy, the Losi RTR is hard to beat. It has everything needed to run(minus fuel). Then as it wears out, you can replace the RTR parts with kit parts.
+1 on this. Since the RTR is designed and put together the same as the racing kit (not counting parts materials of course), all the hop-ups for the kit will also fit the RTR. Makes for a great starter racer, knowing that you have lots of options in the future as you start to break things, or start getting better and need to start tweaking your setup.

The RTR also comes with a decent radio (Spektrum DX3S), which can be bound to more than one model, and has lots of advanced settings.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

You can buy used but be selective or Losi rtr is a awesome deal as stated you can upgrade as you go but I would buy new servos off the bat Savox is reasonable and their quality don't need the expensive ones something with 200oz with average speed.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Initiate

I have LRT 8ight truggy and the custom body is now being worn. Does anybody, guys, know if the RTR (red&white) truggy shell fits the LRT? Thanks in advance for yr reply...