R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Lipo claims another victim (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/616613-lipo-claims-another-victim.html)

zeeman 04-07-2012 09:08 AM

Lipo claims another victim

Here's what happened in the middle of the night after a night of hotlaps.He left the battery in the bump box.The lump of ash was a carbon fibre late model mod.
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...11965242_n.jpg

mikeman84 04-07-2012 11:39 AM

Wow, that sucks. That's why I always keep mine in a lipo bag.

silencery 04-07-2012 11:45 AM

Ouch! Any idea what caused it?

cary 04-07-2012 11:48 AM

seen this happen befor to a guy we race with he lost 1/2 his house

+1 on the lipo bag or just a tin can

Cummins Driver 04-07-2012 11:58 AM

Thats why i keep my lipo's in an ammo can and charge in a lipo bag. I like lipo's, but why not be safe with em?

Thats also the reason I wont be running lipo receiver packs. Dont like having to pull them out of the vehicle after every run...

houston 04-07-2012 01:29 PM

never once had an issue with a lipo battery :weird:

that pic sucks , feel sorry for the guy

only time i have ever seen any lipo "issues" was from overdischarging or charging in wrong mode on charger

i would bet his box was spinning for quite a while when nobody was there ;)

Jaz240 04-07-2012 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by houston (Post 10571620)
never once had an issue with a lipo battery :weird:

that pic sucks , feel sorry for the guy

only time i have ever seen any lipo "issues" was from overdischarging or charging in wrong mode on charger

i would bet his box was spinning for quite a while when nobody was there ;)

+1 or exposed wires got crossed..I leave my RX lipos plugged into my switch for up to 2 weeks between uses.
Feel bad for the guy though

FLDan 04-07-2012 03:10 PM

For as bad as it looks, fotunately nothing else.. ie the house burned. Sorry that happened though, man. That's a drag to lose gear like that.
Do you ever run at the track in Greencove?

BMenard17 04-07-2012 04:43 PM

Ok I feel bad the guy lost his stuff and all but how low did he let the lipo discharge... I mean there has to be a reason it went up in smoke right? Did he charge it at all during his Hot Laps?

Jammin57 04-07-2012 05:02 PM

The bump box being on wouldn't cause that to happen, the bump box must have been running for a long time and melted some wires or something shorted the battery out, running the lipo down will only puff it and if the box was left on but not running the box will not draw any current until the box is pressed down and a complete circuit is made

devnull 04-07-2012 08:34 PM

IDK bout this one, but I just wrapped my entire garage with a lipo bag.

:eek:

Slo_E4 04-07-2012 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 10572830)
IDK bout this one, but I just wrapped my entire garage with a lipo bag.

:eek:

What website did you find that bag at? :D
That pic damn near looks like it was taken in my garage.
Scary :(

zeeman 04-07-2012 09:09 PM

ug

I don't know how ,but I think the bump box actually contained the fire enough to keep the table from igniting.
He was really lucky the fire didn't keep spreading.
Sucks about the gear though!

I do believe dropping the battery ,over charging or severely dis-charging (swollen like a blowfish)can compromise the cells. May take some time before it Fails

Frank L 04-07-2012 09:17 PM

That's scary and sucks soo bad. Lipos are great but you have to treat the, correctly. I also like to start with quality cells. I don't buy the "they all come front he same factory" line. Even if that's true only certain cells make it to the more reputable companies like thunder power, Orion, etc... Bottom line is beware of the cheap lipo. All lipos can blow if handled improperly but take care of them and they will take care of you.

aussies1129 04-07-2012 09:22 PM

had this happen to me, I left a lipo 11.1 charging in my 3pks on my shed bench, got a phone call when I was at work saying shed is on fire I did about 120mph down the hwy lucky the wife used an extinguisher to put it out basically lost my new 3pks and a 1/10 on xrayNT1 with a $500 novarossi race engine and pipe and the whole 6mtrx3mtr shed has smoke damage including all the contents so everything was a right off. just be sure to use a lipo bag make sure you keep on eye on your battery for signs of cell drop and always be close by when charging:nod: just a little bit of advice from a bit of experience:tire:
cheers