R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Angry New to 1/8 Please Help!

Hello guys, Im not new to nitro but new to 1/8 scale i wanna get a 1/8 scale i can eventually hop up and maby do a few races with. I have read alot of the pros posts everyone swears by the losi 8ight. i would love to get one but the price is a lil out of my league seeing i just spent over 400 in hop ups for my jato. Could anyone help me with some ideas on a cheaper but still good RTR buggy. i have been looking at redcat hurricane and hpi trophy. But i dont want to make a dumb mastake. also i have been looking into ofna, Could some of you vets please throw out some rtr's that are on the cheeper side. Thank you.
Saine5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...GHz-F35-Engine
Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Spec-RTR-Buggy

This is the buggy I would get before the D8S. You will need some IMMEDIATE upgrades for that car. If you are looking to do some racing the engine on the D8S is way under powered.
JoePit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why settle for cheaper? It is also an option to get a buggy that has done a few races, but from somebody who is serious about the hobby. Then it will be quality, probably with bearings replaced etc

Dunno about everybody swearing by the 8ight .... yes their RTR is the best RTR going, but as far as race buggies go you could not go wrong with
8ight 2.0
RC8.2
Xray 808
D8 Hara
Kyosho MP9
MBX6-R
Mark _australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark _australia View Post
Why settle for cheaper? It is also an option to get a buggy that has done a few races, but from somebody who is serious about the hobby. Then it will be quality, probably with bearings replaced etc

Dunno about everybody swearing by the 8ight .... yes their RTR is the best RTR going, but as far as race buggies go you could not go wrong with
8ight 2.0
RC8.2
Xray 808
D8 Hara
Kyosho MP9
MBX6-R
Don't forget the Serpent Cobra!

Losi 8ight 4.0
Deckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saine5580 View Post
Hello guys, Im not new to nitro but new to 1/8 scale i wanna get a 1/8 scale i can eventually hop up and maby do a few races with. I have read alot of the pros posts everyone swears by the losi 8ight. i would love to get one but the price is a lil out of my league seeing i just spent over 400 in hop ups for my jato. Could anyone help me with some ideas on a cheaper but still good RTR buggy. i have been looking at redcat hurricane and hpi trophy. But i dont want to make a dumb mastake. also i have been looking into ofna, Could some of you vets please throw out some rtr's that are on the cheeper side. Thank you.
Stay away from Redcrap. Get the HPI buggy. Better quality and better parts-support!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Tech Adept

I would say either the Associated or the HPI would be good for what you're wanting to do. The HPI's engine might be a little under powered but, if you are just starting out racing. A car that is a little slower isn't such a bad thing IMO.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Johnny Cash it one piece at a time like I did. With some smart shopping on the classifieds here, Ebay and the local off road track I built a 1/8 nitro buggy for $500. That includes a new Airtronics Mx-3X, used Savox high voltage servo's, repinched Werks B5 with 2058 pipe, starter box and lipo batteries for everything. I still need a battery charger and fuel along with some set up tools and a selection of wheels, but you said you are not new to the hobby like I am so you most likely have the support equipment already.
I may not have the best of everything, but am happy with what I got and if it get's me through this year of learning and pratice I think I did alright. BUT, if I had to do it all over again I would just get the Losi 8ight 2.0 rtr. Out of your price range I know, but simply hard to beat.
stevetford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetford View Post
Johnny Cash it one piece at a time like I did. With some smart shopping on the classifieds here, Ebay and the local off road track I built a 1/8 nitro buggy for $500. That includes a new Airtronics Mx-3X, used Savox high voltage servo's, repinched Werks B5 with 2058 pipe, starter box and lipo batteries for everything. I still need a battery charger and fuel along with some set up tools and a selection of wheels, but you said you are not new to the hobby like I am so you most likely have the support equipment already.
I may not have the best of everything, but am happy with what I got and if it get's me through this year of learning and pratice I think I did alright. BUT, if I had to do it all over again I would just get the Losi 8ight 2.0 rtr. Out of your price range I know, but simply hard to beat.
i would kinda short for the hara d8 if you want a buggy. I would guess you already have a radio. so you would need a engine and rx and a battery and a bump box. amain has got a go on sale for 140 the seem to be a good engine i might try one out i seen them run at my track and they seem quite fast. and the tires for you track also. i might be a little pricey to get but it will save you money cause you dont have to hop it up like your jato or any traxxas for the matter i did the samr with my maxx too but if i knew then what i know now i never would have spent the cash on it. and went straight to the truggy and buggy.
Hotbodies D812
Hotbodies ve8 Tekin 2050
imrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Impossible to beat the bang for the buck with the 8ight 2.0 RTR. It is a bit spendy but you get components that are better in the long run. I picked up the buggy almost 3 years ago and raced in stock form for quite a while and did well with it. I'm still using the starter boxes too (did LiPo conversion but I've never had to replace belts or anything). If it means saving up a bit more money, it will be worth it in the end.

A friend of mine didnt want to spend the money on the Losi and ended up getting the Kyosho Neo race spec. It has actually been a pretty solid buggy. There isnt any local parts support for it but it's been tough and the engine runs really good. The pull start is a pain so he picked up a starter box for it. He's raced it the last couple weeks and is having a great time.
Kyosho RB6 | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 3 9.5 | Hitec 7940
Schumacher SX3 Pro | Viper VTX10r/Reedy Mach 2 8.5 | Hitec 7940
madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
I would say either the Associated or the HPI would be good for what you're wanting to do. The HPI's engine might be a little under powered but, if you are just starting out racing. A car that is a little slower isn't such a bad thing IMO.
I have a D8S and love it, yes underpowered but great buggy and cust support. I like speed so bought a B6 pro to put in.
Thanks to my Sponsor - Imbue Motorsports - www.imbuemotorsports.com
DO WHAT YOU WANT!
brooklynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynny View Post
I have a D8S and love it, yes underpowered but great buggy and cust support. I like speed so bought a B6 pro to put in.
Durability-wise, how is the D8S? Is the chassis 4mm or 3mm like the D8? I saw it listed both ways.

I'm also new to 1/8 nitro and $500 is my cap. It's either the D8S or the Trophy 3.5 Buggy. Since I will be mostly bashing with an occasional trip to a prepared track, I need something that is more durable but still fun to drive.

The only reason I'm considering the D8S is because it's very new and parts from the HB D8 are readily available as opposed to the Trophy being based on the old HB Lightning 2 and I'm not seeing alot of support as far as parts. The only thing keeping the Trophy in the race is the price.

Fortunately, I'm still saving so I still have alot of time to hash it out and in that time who knows what will show up next on the RTR radar!!
LOSI 8IGHT 2.0 EU: Project 3.0 EU Hybrid
iVTEC4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVTEC4LIFE View Post
Durability-wise, how is the D8S? Is the chassis 4mm or 3mm like the D8? I saw it listed both ways.

I'm also new to 1/8 nitro and $500 is my cap. It's either the D8S or the Trophy 3.5 Buggy. Since I will be mostly bashing with an occasional trip to a prepared track, I need something that is more durable but still fun to drive.

The only reason I'm considering the D8S is because it's very new and parts from the HB D8 are readily available as opposed to the Trophy being based on the old HB Lightning 2 and I'm not seeing alot of support as far as parts. The only thing keeping the Trophy in the race is the price.

Fortunately, I'm still saving so I still have alot of time to hash it out and in that time who knows what will show up next on the RTR radar!!
He likes it so much that he's selling it and has a Hara on the way. Brooklyn and I have been friends for 20 years, and I love the guy, but I would not recommend this car to anyone. Especially if you plan on racing. Here are some of the problems the car has.

(1) Plastic hinge pin braces that will more than likely break day 1
(2) Drive Shafts bend EVERY run
(3) The engine is WEAK! Maybe runs about 30 mph so clearing anything that requires power simply is not going to happen
(4) Tiny rocks get caught in the center diff CONSTANTLY
(5) Radio and servos are going to need replaced

There are some real nice used rigs for sale on this site that will serve you well. If you know RC cars you know that after your 1st run you will have a car that looks no different than 1 that is a year old. If you don't have the money to dump in the car right away I would look for something else. Keep in mind that any RTR you buy will need upgrades.
Fear Farm Raceway
JoePit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
(1) Plastic hinge pin bracesthatwill more than likely break day 1
(2) Drive Shafts bend EVERY run
(3) The engine is WEAK! Maybe runs about 30 mph so clearing anything that requires power simply is not going to happen
(4) Tiny rocks get caught in the center diff CONSTANTLY
(5) Radio and servos are going to need replaced
1&2) What was the cause of this?
3) As a beginning/bashing motor how would you rate it?
4) Every 1/8 buggy/truggy I look at has the opening for the ctr gear, how is the D8S any different that causes this to happen? Where are you driving it?
5) I understand that any rtr will need upgraded servos but again how would you rate them for general bashing?
LOSI 8IGHT 2.0 EU: Project 3.0 EU Hybrid
iVTEC4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote