Wiki Posts
Search

Building 1/8 Scale Track

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Building 1/8 Scale Track

So a friend of a friend let us use some of his land out in Dewey, AZ. The size of the plot is 60X80. Here's what we have so far. Amazing what 3 guys could get done in 1 day with shovels, rakes, and a wheelbarrow.

This will be the layout. The boxes are 10'X10' in this photo.

Beginning stages... The dreaded clean-up. Raf and Mike hard at it.

Raf still at it before the 1st load of dirt arrived.

Getting things smoothed out.

Same time frame but closer up.

Raf at the end of the day.

1st track build for us so some ideas and comments would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I wasn't sure where else something like this would go.

Last edited by JoePit; 04-01-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It was a hot and long day!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

With that amount of space and the apparent lack of neighbors, the possibilities are endless. Congrats on the build and stay hydrated!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 305M3
With that amount of space and the apparent lack of neighbors, the possibilities are endless. Congrats on the build and stay hydrated!
Having land like this must be nice. I on the other hand would have a hard time living there. We've been hitting the Fear Farm up as often as possible, but with the heat coming we figured a cooler spot up north would keep us running. Huge difference between 110 and 85. We also may be interested in a few more that would like to come out and tear it up with us. So far only 2 of us have cars, and 1 that will borrow a car from us until he can pony up some dollars for his own. We're family men so not looking for a bunch of troublemakers

What do you guys think about the lanes being 10' wide? Should be good enough we're thinking.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Awesome, I am jealous.

Attempting to resurrect an old track down the street from me. Biggest problem is he has a dog that loves grabbing the car by the tires and giving it the death shake. Soft compound is no match for sharp canines!

Hope you guys get some rain or a truck load of dirt!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

15 tons gave us a nice 1 inch base. We still have 15 tons for jumps and misc. A good train would be nice but that track will be getting water all week till Sunday when we attempt to .finish it
Old 03-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

60x80 with 10 foot lanes?

For 1/8th, it's just a bit on the small side, more so if Truggies are involved. Not a lot of room for them, but can be done.

The main things to consider on/in the layout is the general flow of the layout and placement of jump so as not to have any blind spots or as few as possible.

For the flow of the layout it's more about jump size and spacing. Work a section and bring a car and/or truck out to test it some. While it's only dirt and can be moved, if you guys are doing the work by hand, you don't want to have to rebuild a section too many times before you get it right. Makes life a little easier on you guys.

If you guys get a little stumped on what to do for a section, move on to another section and come back. Easier than spending half a day trying to think of something that will work for that section you're stumped on and not be able to see it.

Other than that, looks good from the pics. Wish I had both the space and dirt to do that at my pad.

Last edited by Teufel Racing; 03-27-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:34 AM
Tech Regular

Awesome guys. I have a huge backyard I want
To build a track as well would love to know how
Much dirt you use when completed. I'm having a
Hard time finding dirt. Keep us posted
Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

@Teufel 3 Weeks ago we semi cleared the front straight and put some pipe down with 8' lanes. I made 1 pass and knew immediately we needed some more room. Unfortunately, even with the size we have to work with any more than 10' would leave us with a lot less track.

@Deckman In our situation we had a good foundation of dirt under all the weeds and other crap that had to be cleared, so the amount of dirt we had to bring in wasn't to bad. For a 60X80 piece of land you need about 15 tons of dirt per every 1 inch of base. We have 15 tons left for jumps, but I'm not sure how far that will get us. We MAY need another load at the very least.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JoePit
@Teufel 3 Weeks ago we semi cleared the front straight and put some pipe down with 8' lanes. I made 1 pass and knew immediately we needed some more room. Unfortunately, even with the size we have to work with any more than 10' would leave us with a lot less track.

@Deckman In our situation we had a good foundation of dirt under all the weeds and other crap that had to be cleared, so the amount of dirt we had to bring in wasn't to bad. For a 60X80 piece of land you need about 15 tons of dirt per every 1 inch of base. We have 15 tons left for jumps, but I'm not sure how far that will get us. We MAY need another load at the very least.
Thanks. The area I have about 100'x80. Right now it's all grass which has to be cleared. I know it will be alot of work but will be loads of fun when done.
Did you have to pay for the dirt and if so how much was it per ton if you don't
Mind me asking. Keep the pics coming
Old 03-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Keep us posted. I too have about a 80x60 section of land i have been kicking aroung buildi g on. Would love to see how yours turns out and how it runs.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Deckman
Thanks. The area I have about 100'x80. Right now it's all grass which has to be cleared. I know it will be alot of work but will be loads of fun when done.
Did you have to pay for the dirt and if so how much was it per ton if you don't
Mind me asking. Keep the pics coming
Dirt was $130 per 15 tons delivered. Craigslist is usually a good place to find deals on dirt.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SDelaney
Keep us posted. I too have about a 80x60 section of land i have been kicking aroung buildi g on. Would love to see how yours turns out and how it runs.
Next week the jumps go in and we will continue giving progress reports
Old 03-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Any opinions on how to keep the track in good shape? I'm concerned about doing all this work just to have it washed away with a good rain. Will heavy water during construction help with this?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bump for a great thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.