R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #61
Tech Regular

That's gonna be fun times when it's all done!
Zao18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #62
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePit View Post
Where in AZ are you located?
I live in surprise but have family not to far from what use to be youngs farm. Not sure what it is called now
Som3R3tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #63
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Som3R3tard View Post
I live in surprise but have family not to far from what use to be youngs farm. Not sure what it is called now
We are right down the road 5 min from the old young farm
Thanks to my Sponsor - Imbue Motorsports - www.imbuemotorsports.com
DO WHAT YOU WANT!
brooklynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

OK so we came a across a minor technicality. The dirt I brought in is absolute garbage. The track is like a ice skating rink right now. What do you guys think we should bring in to put over what we already have? The track and jumps are hard like concrete. The surface though is very loose and slick. Not to mention the dirt we brought in had more rocks in it than we would have liked. I shredded a set of Bow Ties today.

2 steps forward and 1 step. My guess is clay is what we are looking for?
Fear Farm Raceway
JoePit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #65
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think I remember a thread where people in your area talked about using AZ red desert dirt (sand base). Not sure about that though.

For my track I brought in 100+ yards of Sandy Loam...most tracks around here use this type. The higher content of Loam the better...although it is not always something you can control...you pretty much get what you get. The last batch I brought in had a bit more sand than I would have liked (I had originally hoped and thought I had gotten a higher content of clay than normal but in the end it was quite average). With sandy loam it will pack and soak up water really well, but when it rains the sand will work its' way to the surface so you have to blow or brush it off...over time the sand will go bye bye and you will be left with pure loam (clay), so it will be important to add more dirt to maintain adequate volume. It will get hard like concrete and blue groove in the right conditions and self-patch (cracks and such) when you run on it damp. It provides a really friendly, durable and versatile surface.

On my track I can run two types of tires...when it is damp and loose with more sand at the surface I can run i-beam, cross brace and bow tie (medium compounds) and get really good traction and durability. When the track is clean and dry I get great traction and a little less durability with C2 shotguns and Calibers (medium). I never run the track dry AND loose...haven't found a good tire for that yet, so that creates a recipe for frustration...plus dust just gets into everything and wears bearings a rotating components much more than normal.

"If your car feels like it's on rails, you are driving too slow."
For backyard RC check out Oak Hollow RC Raceway on YouTube
Z4Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #66
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Kevo View Post
I think I remember a thread where people in your area talked about using AZ red desert dirt (sand base). Not sure about that though.

For my track I brought in 100+ yards of Sandy Loam...most tracks around here use this type. The higher content of Loam the better...although it is not always something you can control...you pretty much get what you get. The last batch I brought in had a bit more sand than I would have liked (I had originally hoped and thought I had gotten a higher content of clay than normal but in the end it was quite average). With sandy loam it will pack and soak up water really well, but when it rains the sand will work its' way to the surface so you have to blow or brush it off...over time the sand will go bye bye and you will be left with pure loam (clay), so it will be important to add more dirt to maintain adequate volume. It will get hard like concrete and blue groove in the right conditions and self-patch (cracks and such) when you run on it damp. It provides a really friendly, durable and versatile surface.

On my track I can run two types of tires...when it is damp and loose with more sand at the surface I can run i-beam, cross brace and bow tie (medium compounds) and get really good traction and durability. When the track is clean and dry I get great traction and a little less durability with C2 shotguns and Calibers (medium). I never run the track dry AND loose...haven't found a good tire for that yet, so that creates a recipe for frustration...plus dust just gets into everything and wears bearings a rotating components much more than normal.
I'm prolly not going to run this track again until the situation is corrected. All the loose dirt is a major concern, and I'm not looking to destroy my car. Tomorrow I'm gonna tear her down and evaluate the situation. Bearings more than likely took a good beating and will need replaced.
Fear Farm Raceway
Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #67
Tech Addict

usually plenty of water and running on it when its dried a bit helps, new track surfaces tend to be a bit like that when first run on.

some nice red or orange clay makes a great surface but it will still get slick if its dry and not had many cars over it...get all your mates down for a days thrashing and it will improve.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #68
Tech Regular

Sorry to here of your set back. I hope you can get it
Figured out. I plan on putting a track in this year so it's
Good to here the good and the bad of the build so I know
What to expect. Don't give up guys! It will all payoff in the end.

Losi 8ight 4.0
Deckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #69
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by curacing2 View Post
usually plenty of water and running on it when its dried a bit helps, new track surfaces tend to be a bit like that when first run on.

some nice red or orange clay makes a great surface but it will still get slick if its dry and not had many cars over it...get all your mates down for a days thrashing and it will improve.
It was starting to feel a bit better as the day progressed. Maybe get rid of some of the rocks and keep hitting it. The track is yet to see any rain.
Fear Farm Raceway
Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #70
Tech Regular

Any video yet?

Losi 8ight 4.0
Deckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #71
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckman View Post
Any video yet?
Next time out we'll get some. Slipping and sliding all over the place wouldn't be anything worth watching.
Fear Farm Raceway
Old 04-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #72
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePit View Post
I'm prolly not going to run this track again until the situation is corrected. All the loose dirt is a major concern, and I'm not looking to destroy my car. Tomorrow I'm gonna tear her down and evaluate the situation. Bearings more than likely took a good beating and will need replaced.
Sounds like the track is still green, meaning not run on enough yet. That sounds pretty normal for the most part. Water and some sweeping or sweeping and watering should help, along with running on it. The track should get better as you run on it

The rocks suck but hopefully you guys can get most of them out as you find them. They will work their way up to the racing surface so hopefully theres not too many for you guys to have to pick out/remove.

You guys may want to consider adding something like sugar to the track with water to help the track come in a little faster as well as keep the dust down and keep the loose stuff to a minium. It's a balance between track maint. and tire wear though.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #73
Tech Initiate

that is super cool. my rc truck would have fun there haha
DriftSesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #74
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

you need to think about renting a compacting roller that will solidify the suface and make it more consistant and it will hold up better to the running of the cars
Power Master Fuel, Stickit1 racing, Lucky7 Products,
chim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #75
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chim13 View Post
you need to think about renting a compacting roller that will solidify the suface and make it more consistant and it will hold up better to the running of the cars
we rented a plate compactor and worked it for 3 hours but buggies just tearing it up, really need clay to put down
Thanks to my Sponsor - Imbue Motorsports - www.imbuemotorsports.com
DO WHAT YOU WANT!
brooklynny is offline   Reply With Quote