R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   What Losi buggy to get? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/611906-what-losi-buggy-get.html)

TropicalPenguin 03-23-2012 07:00 AM

What Losi buggy to get?

Hello everybody, I'm looking for a buggy. More specifically I am looking for a Losi buggy, but I can't decide on which one to get. Right now my current choices are the 810 and the Eight 2.0, but I'm having a really hard time deciding. I'm just looking for an RTR setup right now because I work anywhere between 50-70hrs a week, so I don't have the time to build a kit. The reason the 810 is so attractive is because of it's price, mainly. And since it's a tiny bit smaller (and more nimble?). And I really like the Eight 2.0 telemetry and how there are more available hop-ups for it.. but I can't decide. Help?

I'm primarily a basher, but would like the ability to go race some club-level races at my local track if I ever felt the need. Basher wise, the 810 makes sense here, but the lack of hop-ups make me feel like if I ever wanted more speed or agility then I'll have to get a different model RC because at least on nitrohouse the hop-ups list is short.

I was also looking at the HPI D8S, but after some forum searching I've seen that lots of people have had issues with it as far as premature breaking, poor engine performance, etc.

I just want something affordable, that I can mod and build up a little bit. I'm not very concerned about the racing side of things, really. So I'm definitely leaning towards the 810 for this reason... but what can I do to mod it up? Are there any other parts that work with this model? Is it a good basher model?

Rock333 03-24-2012 02:07 AM

I would go with the Eight 2.0. Lots of hop ups and there is more of a chance when you go to a club race and you need something for the car that you don't have someone there will, with the 810 not very likely. Parts are not hard to come by, and a lot of guys out there run this car so set up advise is bountiful.
From what i hear the 810 is a great basher but not track friendly(at least in my area). Just go to your local track that you will run at and see what the other guys are running and what parts are in stock at the local hobby shop.

MrUnlimited 03-24-2012 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by TropicalPenguin (Post 10505883)
Hello everybody, I'm looking for a buggy. More specifically I am looking for a Losi buggy, but I can't decide on which one to get. Right now my current choices are the 810 and the Eight 2.0, but I'm having a really hard time deciding. I'm just looking for an RTR setup right now because I work anywhere between 50-70hrs a week, so I don't have the time to build a kit. The reason the 810 is so attractive is because of it's price, mainly. And since it's a tiny bit smaller (and more nimble?). And I really like the Eight 2.0 telemetry and how there are more available hop-ups for it.. but I can't decide. Help?

I'm primarily a basher, but would like the ability to go race some club-level races at my local track if I ever felt the need. Basher wise, the 810 makes sense here, but the lack of hop-ups make me feel like if I ever wanted more speed or agility then I'll have to get a different model RC because at least on nitrohouse the hop-ups list is short.

I was also looking at the HPI D8S, but after some forum searching I've seen that lots of people have had issues with it as far as premature breaking, poor engine performance, etc.

I just want something affordable, that I can mod and build up a little bit. I'm not very concerned about the racing side of things, really. So I'm definitely leaning towards the 810 for this reason... but what can I do to mod it up? Are there any other parts that work with this model? Is it a good basher model?

50-70hr a week? Do you still live? I only work 25hr a week. No, I am not lazy
but I make more money than a full timer does.:nod:
Anyway why Losi? Asso makes also very good buggies and HPI.

madweazl 03-24-2012 07:11 AM

8ight 2.0 is a great car and what you get for the money is just unbeatable in an RTR.

JoePit 03-24-2012 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by madweazl (Post 10509751)
8ight 2.0 is a great car and what you get for the money is just unbeatable in an RTR.

+1

bcr500 03-24-2012 07:40 AM

I would say the 8 2.0 also after watching a budy kick but at the track with a box stock rtr 8 2.0.

FLDan 03-24-2012 07:59 AM

If you're set on a Losi buggy, the Eight 2.0 would be the better choice IMHO over the 810. There are tons of aftermarket products for the platform..just know that with any RTR from any company you may have issues with servos, breakage, etc, so be prepared to replace parts as you go.

..If you're mainly looking to bash or run around, a truggy like the Eight-T 2.0 could be a good choice as well, as truggies are a bit more robust...if you get more into the racing you could upgrade it to the more competitive race roller specs over time.

Huleboer 03-24-2012 10:12 AM

Definitly go for the 8ight 2.0.
As the name implies the 810 is build upon a 10th scale car (truggy/sc mashup) and is not as strong as the purpose build 8th scale racer that is the 8ight buggy.

As a RTR kit the 8ight is second to none.

TropicalPenguin 03-25-2012 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited (Post 10509409)
50-70hr a week? Do you still live? I only work 25hr a week. No, I am not lazy
but I make more money than a full timer does.:nod:
Anyway why Losi? Asso makes also very good buggies and HPI.

Yeah, I work 12hr days Monday thru Friday, and anywhere from another 6-9hrs on Saturday.

TropicalPenguin 03-25-2012 05:36 PM

Alright, so I just ordered the 8ight 2.0 RTR with some blue thread lock, extra pins, a couple Venom 6S 3300mAH NiHM batteries (w/tamiya connector) for the starter box, some extra AR oil, and an aluminum servo arm.. Should be here this week, I hope. I can't wait to break it in and get it on the track.

pravesh736 03-26-2012 01:16 AM

why a 6s lipo for the box .. get a 4s .. also for connectors use trx or deans

beidle99 03-26-2012 04:59 AM

With a 6S lipo you will weld the contacts together inside the starter box...way to much voltage. 4S 5000mah is the way to go.

TropicalPenguin 03-26-2012 05:54 AM

According to the Losi site, the 6S was the recommended battery.

Maxxed-out 03-26-2012 07:02 AM

I have a 6S in my box with no problems, I also have another box with a 4S in it and it works fine.

rider313 03-26-2012 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by TropicalPenguin (Post 10517203)
According to the Losi site, the 6S was the recommended battery.

2 6s NIHM battery is recommended by losi. And that's what you got.

Not a 6s lipo.