R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Advice on which truggy for a new racer...

So I would like to get into racing and found a local track near me that I can easily go to for practice and some racing. I have never been to a track before and have never owned a buggy/truggy. All I've done is local bashing

I am looking at the Kyosho Inferno NEO ST RTR setup as it seems to be a good choice as an entry level competition truggy. What do you guys think about this truck? If you don't think it is a good choice, what would you recommend? I don't have the money to spend on a $1000 truck yet, but I will in the future once I am more serious into racing.

Let me know what you think!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Choices all depends on how much you want to spend and what stuff you already have for support gear (nitro engine, starter box, radio, servos and such)

If you're looking at a RTR that's pretty decent and doesn't break the bank, the Losi 8T 2.0 RTR is about the best bet. I don't know much about the K truck you were/are looking at other than parts do seem to be an issue for some to get at a local shop and they're not always the cheapest to get.

If you already have most or all of the support gear to use, I'd suggest the Hot Bodies D8T. I's the cheapest kit you can buy and though some of the parts can wear a little bit faster than many would like, they are very cheap to replace.

I'm sure there's plenty of other options, but those are the two I'd look at first and then go from there.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
Choices all depends on how much you want to spend and what stuff you already have for support gear (nitro engine, starter box, radio, servos and such)

If you're looking at a RTR that's pretty decent and doesn't break the bank, the Losi 8T 2.0 RTR is about the best bet. I don't know much about the K truck you were/are looking at other than parts do seem to be an issue for some to get at a local shop and they're not always the cheapest to get.

If you already have most or all of the support gear to use, I'd suggest the Hot Bodies D8T. I's the cheapest kit you can buy and though some of the parts can wear a little bit faster than many would like, they are very cheap to replace.

I'm sure there's plenty of other options, but those are the two I'd look at first and then go from there.
Thanks for the advice. I did notice the limited parts availability with the Kyosho I mentioned and realized I would be ordering most everything for it online. I like the Hotbodies D8T you mentioned though. I don't have any parts or support gear that I would need, but I don't mind having to buy everything seperate if it means a better truck with more reliable parts and service availability.

What engine would you recommend for that truggy?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruB.x3 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I did notice the limited parts availability with the Kyosho I mentioned and realized I would be ordering most everything for it online. I like the Hotbodies D8T you mentioned though. I don't have any parts or support gear that I would need, but I don't mind having to buy everything seperate if it means a better truck with more reliable parts and service availability.

Werks B5 with 2013 pipe works nice.

For truggies, it's best to focus on an engine/pipe combo that has beefy bottom end power.
Zao18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

For the first timer, the Losi is the way to go. Other than maintenance on the rear diff, the truck is tough as nails. I drove one since the 2.0 came out, and it never broke down on me. I race almost every weekend and I never had a DNF because of a mechanical issue.

The RTR comes with everything you will need to get going, except fuel. It really is the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberacer View Post
For the first timer, the Losi is the way to go. Other than maintenance on the rear diff, the truck is tough as nails. I drove one since the 2.0 came out, and it never broke down on me. I race almost every weekend and I never had a DNF because of a mechanical issue.

The RTR comes with everything you will need to get going, except fuel. It really is the best bang for the buck.
+1
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruB.x3 View Post

Power plant for a truggy? Well I'll give a nod to what was posted. Werks B5 with the 2013. Seem them run and they do well in a truggy. Engine is pretty cheap to get, but the pipe does cost a little more.

Second choice is a Novarossi P5XLT with the 2096 pipe and 021 header. I think the P5 is right at 200-210 now (I think) so it's about the same price range as the Werks. As with the Werks, the pipe and header are a little more costly. 2096 runs about 75-80 I think and the 021 header is 25-30.

There are plenty of others to choose from but those are the two I have seen run or run myself and both come out of Italy. It's what I would run if I was just buying into the hobby.

The D8T is solid for the most part and the main reason I suggested it was for the cost factor. If I had little to start with, I'd have a hard look at the losi. You can win with it right out of the box and many places usually have parts for it.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

If your starting off get the Losi rtr package no one can beat this package everything provided is solid minus its servos once your chassis gets worn get the bce unit then you will be set. You can buy hop up as you see but its not needed right away. The rear diff has no no issues just need to know what your doing period.

My other selection check out the for sale thread you can pickup a good package for a really good deal most come with good top equipment but as aways feedback and asking the right questions is important get a phone number. If you need help let me know

Also if you need a good motor let me know I have a few I'm dumping .
Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Thank you for the help everyone, I really appreciate it. I am going to take a look at the Losi package and see what I can do