R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 841
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Advice on which truggy for a new racer...

So I would like to get into racing and found a local track near me that I can easily go to for practice and some racing. I have never been to a track before and have never owned a buggy/truggy. All I've done is local bashing

I am looking at the Kyosho Inferno NEO ST RTR setup as it seems to be a good choice as an entry level competition truggy. What do you guys think about this truck? If you don't think it is a good choice, what would you recommend? I don't have the money to spend on a $1000 truck yet, but I will in the future once I am more serious into racing.

Let me know what you think!
__________________
9g Micro Servos for sale - only $7.00! (PM ME)
ScruB.x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Teufel Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sparks Nv.
Posts: 2,134
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Choices all depends on how much you want to spend and what stuff you already have for support gear (nitro engine, starter box, radio, servos and such)

If you're looking at a RTR that's pretty decent and doesn't break the bank, the Losi 8T 2.0 RTR is about the best bet. I don't know much about the K truck you were/are looking at other than parts do seem to be an issue for some to get at a local shop and they're not always the cheapest to get.

If you already have most or all of the support gear to use, I'd suggest the Hot Bodies D8T. I's the cheapest kit you can buy and though some of the parts can wear a little bit faster than many would like, they are very cheap to replace.

I'm sure there's plenty of other options, but those are the two I'd look at first and then go from there.
__________________
J.Mikoliczyk

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 841
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Racing View Post
Choices all depends on how much you want to spend and what stuff you already have for support gear (nitro engine, starter box, radio, servos and such)

If you're looking at a RTR that's pretty decent and doesn't break the bank, the Losi 8T 2.0 RTR is about the best bet. I don't know much about the K truck you were/are looking at other than parts do seem to be an issue for some to get at a local shop and they're not always the cheapest to get.

If you already have most or all of the support gear to use, I'd suggest the Hot Bodies D8T. I's the cheapest kit you can buy and though some of the parts can wear a little bit faster than many would like, they are very cheap to replace.

I'm sure there's plenty of other options, but those are the two I'd look at first and then go from there.
Thanks for the advice. I did notice the limited parts availability with the Kyosho I mentioned and realized I would be ordering most everything for it online. I like the Hotbodies D8T you mentioned though. I don't have any parts or support gear that I would need, but I don't mind having to buy everything seperate if it means a better truck with more reliable parts and service availability.

What engine would you recommend for that truggy?
__________________
9g Micro Servos for sale - only $7.00! (PM ME)
ScruB.x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Tech Regular
 
Zao18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruB.x3 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I did notice the limited parts availability with the Kyosho I mentioned and realized I would be ordering most everything for it online. I like the Hotbodies D8T you mentioned though. I don't have any parts or support gear that I would need, but I don't mind having to buy everything seperate if it means a better truck with more reliable parts and service availability.

What engine would you recommend for that truggy?
Werks B5 with 2013 pipe works nice.

For truggies, it's best to focus on an engine/pipe combo that has beefy bottom end power.
__________________
Hotbodies D8T, Hitec 7955TG servos, "Clocked" Werks B5 w/ 2013 pipe, M2C 4-shoe clutch
Losi 810 buggy (converted Ten T), M2C Racing clutch, Hitec 7955TG servos, 125cc fuel tank
Spektrum DX3S w/ SR3300T receivers
Zao18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 840
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

For the first timer, the Losi is the way to go. Other than maintenance on the rear diff, the truck is tough as nails. I drove one since the 2.0 came out, and it never broke down on me. I race almost every weekend and I never had a DNF because of a mechanical issue.

The RTR comes with everything you will need to get going, except fuel. It really is the best bang for the buck.
__________________
Up in the air...
Cyberacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Tech Champion
 
Jason Pelletier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 8,820
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberacer View Post
For the first timer, the Losi is the way to go. Other than maintenance on the rear diff, the truck is tough as nails. I drove one since the 2.0 came out, and it never broke down on me. I race almost every weekend and I never had a DNF because of a mechanical issue.

The RTR comes with everything you will need to get going, except fuel. It really is the best bang for the buck.
+1
__________________
Island Raceway & Hobby
Jason Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Teufel Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sparks Nv.
Posts: 2,134
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruB.x3 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I did notice the limited parts availability with the Kyosho I mentioned and realized I would be ordering most everything for it online. I like the Hotbodies D8T you mentioned though. I don't have any parts or support gear that I would need, but I don't mind having to buy everything seperate if it means a better truck with more reliable parts and service availability.

What engine would you recommend for that truggy?
Power plant for a truggy? Well I'll give a nod to what was posted. Werks B5 with the 2013. Seem them run and they do well in a truggy. Engine is pretty cheap to get, but the pipe does cost a little more.

Second choice is a Novarossi P5XLT with the 2096 pipe and 021 header. I think the P5 is right at 200-210 now (I think) so it's about the same price range as the Werks. As with the Werks, the pipe and header are a little more costly. 2096 runs about 75-80 I think and the 021 header is 25-30.

There are plenty of others to choose from but those are the two I have seen run or run myself and both come out of Italy. It's what I would run if I was just buying into the hobby.

The D8T is solid for the most part and the main reason I suggested it was for the cost factor. If I had little to start with, I'd have a hard look at the losi. You can win with it right out of the box and many places usually have parts for it.
__________________
J.Mikoliczyk

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Tech Champion
 
bigjayjay1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,605
Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Default

If your starting off get the Losi rtr package no one can beat this package everything provided is solid minus its servos once your chassis gets worn get the bce unit then you will be set. You can buy hop up as you see but its not needed right away. The rear diff has no no issues just need to know what your doing period.

My other selection check out the for sale thread you can pickup a good package for a really good deal most come with good top equipment but as aways feedback and asking the right questions is important get a phone number. If you need help let me know

Also if you need a good motor let me know I have a few I'm dumping .
__________________
TEAM: SERPENT AMERICA DRIVER -ADVANTAGE RACING PRODUCTS-COMPETITION HEAT INC - HOBBYPRO, VPPRO - BCE-
Serpent: 811N, 811T, 811E
bigjayjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 841
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Thank you for the help everyone, I really appreciate it. I am going to take a look at the Losi package and see what I can do
__________________
9g Micro Servos for sale - only $7.00! (PM ME)
ScruB.x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a new truggy....advice or suggestions? TRYMY4.0 Nitro Off-Road 33 12-31-2008 04:00 AM
Unfair Advantage in Sportsman buggy Need Advice robbdny Racing Forum 36 11-15-2008 12:04 AM
HELP!!! Serious Delimma on which way to go... badKarma Nitro Off-Road 26 02-06-2008 06:05 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:18 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net