Wiki Posts
Search

LOSI 8ight T 2.0 RTR vs RACE ROLLER? Help an old guy out

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default LOSI 8ight T 2.0 RTR vs RACE ROLLER? Help an old guy out

Hey guys, i'm old... don't flame me too bad. I've been out of RC for about the past year. I raced 1/10th scale 4wd mod in the past.

Used to go to SoCal RC, raced a few times at OCRC.

That out of the way, I want a 1/8th truggy BAD.

Love the losi stuff, always have. Looking at the Race Roller vs the RTR.

Sorry if this has been gone over before, but I couldn't find it in the 400 pages about the 2.0 T. I'm not very good at the internets.

Are the chassis/parts/build ANY different? Obviously, for a hundred dollar difference for a spectrum radio, engine, servos, starter box, the RTR "SEEMS" like the way to go if all else is the same. Surly, there must be a difference in the build... Yes, no?

If you can please take the time, point out the differences. I was a sportsman/expert racer when I stopped, so I need/want a competitive truggy.

Race roller and build it out myself, or is the RTR everything the roller is and more? What are the differences guys.

HELP AN OLD GUY OUT HERE...

Thanks for your time.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

PS, what the hell is this "comes assembled" bologna all about?

Building the kit is the best part of RC. What the heck Losi?

Think they'd sell me one unassembled??? I guess I could take it apart and put it back together.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Prophet

the thing losi does with the preassemled is so a new guy in 1/8 buggy can just pick what engine they want and electrics ,associated does it to and ofna etc yea i also like to built the kit also, the 2.0 t has a longer chassis and longer wheelbase i belive , and 2.0 eight b i belive only really has a bit longer chassis ,if you run in a sportsman class a eight-t 1.0 and a eight -b 1.0 will still be competive in the pros dont know really
Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Buy the Mugen and put it together and you won't have to worry about getting your ass kicked by one. But if you stay Losi the RTR is great just switch the servo's and your set. Plus you get everything you need and the engine is a good starter engine.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Bang-for your buck to get everything at once the 2.0 RTR is actually the way to go.

Main difference: Frame, shock towers, shock caps and diff cases.

RTR has stamped/plate cut frame and shock towers. Slightly heavier, not the "flex tuned" setup, but it works around 85% as well most of the time. Shock caps are plastic instead of metal and I believe it gets the slightly heavier but more durable HD diff cases.

So, if you need a radio/servos/starter box all together and don't aren't brand loyal already it's a nice place to start.

I'd go RTR, learn the truck, eventually ditch the frame for a BCE and the towers for the new KingHeadz setup and never look back.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

I would stick with the RR add what you want. But I have 2 and have not broken anything at all..... just replaced the hingepin holder for adjustable and alum servi saver - - - thats it, and with 8 1/2 gals no parts replaced - I can take it to a track right now with no problems
Old 11-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Through my personal experience, and if I had it to do over again i would buy the roller. The rtr is nothing but problems. Servos need to replaced right away. The ones in it are junk. The motors good for about 3 gallons of gas and then it wont keep a tune. The good thing about the rtr is the DX3s .
Old 11-25-2009, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mblgjr
Bang-for your buck to get everything at once the 2.0 RTR is actually the way to go.

RTR has stamped/plate cut frame and shock towers. Slightly heavier, not the "flex tuned" setup, but it works around 85% as well most of the time. Shock caps are plastic instead of metal and I believe it gets the slightly heavier but more durable HD diff cases.

So, if you need a radio/servos/starter box all together and don't aren't brand loyal already it's a nice place to start.

I'd go RTR, learn the truck, eventually ditch the frame for a BCE and the towers for the new KingHeadz setup and never look back.
+1 I plan on doing something like that when i get my income tax money. Im going to slowly upgrade everything to its better then a race roller.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is a bit of a hard one, A mate of mine just brought the rtr and i know he is going to have some greife with things like the servos etc and it soon wont be a good enough machine competition wise

In your post Todd you mention about been a good profesinial racer and wanting a good machine... Right then and there its time to relise that the rtr is not for you!!, Forget it champ as it will be nothing but problems.. Get the roller (MBX6T) and build a proper race truck not a kids toy

Dave
Old 11-25-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

The RTR is a good truck once you work out the kinks, but the race roller is cheaper in the long run. As stated the RTR needs new servos right away. The stockers are junk. The plastic shock caps need to be changed as well fairly soon on the RTR. Those are the weak link and will break. The motor seems to be pretty good on the RTR. The one my buddy had ran strong and he was getting 10 min run times, then it trashed the rod after 1 gallon. Not sure how long the motor would have lasted, but his air filter fell off during a race and sucked some dirt in.
RTR has a different chassis than the race roller too, race roller has the TFT chassis and is supposed to be better. I don't know how much of a difference one can tell though.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

OK settled... I have a great Futaba radio already, old starter box (will it work with 1/8th scale??? It was for a 1/10 nitro truck)

If the servos are junk and the motor is so so, then I'm not really getting much of a deal.

Race Roller it is.

Holly crapola though, engine selections are crazy these days. I was a Novarossi fan back in the day. Lots of new stuff out there.

Got a receiver I can use, got fuel bottle, glow igniter, bat packs, misc nitro stuff.

So I need servos, engine, pipe, and possibly new starter box.

Gonna be a bit longer then. Christmas time!!!! I'll be racing at Revelation Raceway!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

just a question

next year (march) i'll on vacation to US. I'll buy a losi car, i was planing to buy RTR... i already have most of RR parts (shock towers, complete shocks, hinge pins + plates, drive pins, wheel Hex...) i'm reading lots of guys talking about the durability of RTR engine...

RTR car: $649
Servos: $158
Go tech engine: $199
Total: $1006

RR car: $519
Servos: $158
Go tech engine: $199
JP or RE11 pipe: $74
Starter box: ~ $70
Total: $1020

With RTR pack i'll have 2 engines (for training and for Race) and a DX3s...
with RR pack i'll just have 1 engine and i'll have to use my old DX2.

witch are the better choice???
Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

I would go with the roller. Put what you want in it from the start.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mblgjr

I have to agree with this. I started 8 scale 18months ago with an rtr 8t and honestly was great to experience everything with just one purchase. not to mention it was litterally ready to race after break in. only thing i suggest is to buy a hitec 7955 and put on the steering and move the stock 650 back to throttle, then toss the stock throttle 270. If you drive slow till your comfortable going fast you will be good to go 2 gallons. at that point re-build the clutch and put some hop ups such as machined chassis and towers off of ebay.

evn pre-built i would still tear down and rebuild. the diffs that are in 1.0 rtr losis are filled with grease unless this was changed with the 2.0 rtr. i would put oil in the diffs. just keep an eye on the plastic shock caps, they will need replaced eventually. now that i have bought losi rtrs i have since moved on to nib rr versions. honestly other than some less longer lasting parts its a great car out of the box.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

The Race Roller is the way to go, engines my choices OS or Mugen. There are alot of choices but these are MY favs.......

the other dude. go with the Race Roller - you only get 1 engine but the Go Tech should last 6 or 7 gals if properly maintained.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.