R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? Is there a market for a truly high-end racing buggy?

Just what the title reads.

In short, I guess... If a new car comes along that its truly superior, design wise, with an optimized layout, optimized balance, material quality, and the performance and reliability to match.

Will it have a buyer?

Right now, basically, all cars are alike, I'm getting bored actually, same chassis layout, same drive-train layout - either rear offset "Losi style" or standard mid set like the rest, my favorite complain: same tank (read awkward!) position, etc. and thus more or less the same manners, some variances OK, but mostly the same truly hardly optimized layout.

My questions is, if someone comes with an idea that is really unconventional, but it simply works better but at a price, are we willing to pay for it?

For example: shocks - It seems that the market is asking for high end, valved, progressive, etc. shocks, are we willing to pay for them?

On road nitro race cars have a drive train with no simplicity, no elegance at all, with 3 belts squeezed around all components with the promise of the best possible weight balance, and it works! would we pay for something like it?
Again, are we willing to accept ideas that are far out of the box and at the same time maybe more expensive?

I know that I only want the best design possible, that's because I'm an Engineering junkie, for me it has to be the best design possible - if it works obviously.

My questions is is there more people like me?

x
xemanuelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Fancy doesn't always mean fast.
BrakeTurnAccelerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xemanuelli View Post
Just what the title reads.

In short, I guess... If a new car comes along that its truly superior, design wise, with an optimized layout, optimized balance, material quality, and the performance and reliability to match.

Will it have a buyer?

Right now, basically, all cars are alike, I'm getting bored actually, same chassis layout, same drive-train layout - either rear offset "Losi style" or standard mid set like the rest, my favorite complain: same tank (read awkward!) position, etc. and thus more or less the same manners, some variances OK, but mostly the same truly hardly optimized layout.

My questions is, if someone comes with an idea that is really unconventional, but it simply works better but at a price, are we willing to pay for it?

For example: shocks - It seems that the market is asking for high end, valved, progressive, etc. shocks, are we willing to pay for them?

On road nitro race cars have a drive train with no simplicity, no elegance at all, with 3 belts squeezed around all components with the promise of the best possible weight balance, and it works! would we pay for something like it?
Again, are we willing to accept ideas that are far out of the box and at the same time maybe more expensive?

I know that I only want the best design possible, that's because I'm an Engineering junkie, for me it has to be the best design possible - if it works obviously.

My questions is is there more people like me?

x
Considering the Kyosho MP9 TKI2 is $900 and it is just about the most seen car at any given track, Yes I think there is a market for it.. Especially if it is truelly superior, and works/handles better..
Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate View Post
Fancy doesn't always mean fast.
Who said fancy?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyM View Post
Considering the Kyosho MP9 TKI2 is $900 and it is just about the most seen car at any given track, Yes I think there is a market for it.. Especially if it is truelly superior, and works/handles better..
But what if its 1250.00? I mean what if its really ground-breaking? and made in US/Japan/Europe? what if its 1500?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Not in this economy.we already have too many cars to choose from.If something new would come out it better be good and the price has to be right to compete in this industry.
Amain Hobbies
Fioroni usa
xxxntwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Tech Elite

What is the best car these days. Today we see inline motors, low profile layout for the servo's, high downforce wing, long travel arms, bigbore shocks etc so the modern buggy is still improving because the competition is tough and we need every time faster and better. Thats's why the perfect buggy never will excist.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default Show me

I would think there is a market for any design if indeed it's better but for 1500 dollars for a toy car it would need to be a night and day difference for that kind of money. It would need to be proven to me that it would be worth the price tag.
Drip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to camocowboy

I would say yes, some will buy it. But how much room for improvement is there really. Cars now are so fast as it is that only the elite few can reach their potential. I doubt there will be anything come out that is so good you can't still keep up with a well driven hot bodies.
#92 Greg Singletary
Punched R/C Productions - Ascendancy Racing - Byrons Fuel - JGO Paint - The Nitro Pit - One Hobbies Shop and INDOOR RACEWAY
camocowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madblu2

It an ok idea, but are you going to get a many people wanting to shell out the cost for it at $1250.00 to $1500??? Also a rig like that replacement part will be expensive. You can get the new concept buggy with new technology out there on the track and get beat by a weekend race warrior that has a D8 he put together over time. A lot of times it not the rig being expensive, but how you drive it and/or set it up. It would be good to get a new car/buggy/truggy using new technology, but it should affordable to the everyday man. We can use the Traxxas new 1/7 scale car as an example. Real cool technology and speed, but there not flying off the shelves.

Your not going to buy a Bentley and go Rally racing with it....
Old 03-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Tech Regular

if you're an engineer and your plan is to release this next level car, the biggest hurddle you will face is convincing the general public that it really is MUCH better than anything else on the market... without a pro driver pushing the car it will NEVER work.
in short, finding the money to pay Jared tebo will be the hardest part lol.

UNLESS your car is so good joe average could go out and win the worlds with it lol

Mechanicly speaking i think all the cars look a like because the layout is best just like mid engined super cars.

Imo the next big evolution in rc will come from electronics traction control, abs (the real kind not the stuff you see on your remote). lol
gameholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I don't see why not.

Specialized make a $17,000 carbon road bike that is a collaboration w/ McLaren F1. It is engineered to the hilt; light, stiff, comfortable. The entire first run of 300 or so was pre-sold before they were even produced! That's over $5 million that was paid for qty 300 bikes!

If it is a superior product, and is marketed correctly, it will sell. Looking at various RC mfg web sites it seems like most aren't trying that hard in the marketing department. Some of them are down rite embarrassing. Compare the Traxxas website to that of Kyosho, worlds of difference. That is why Traxxas dumps millions into sponsoring 1:1 racers and a flashy and interactive website w/ tons of pictures and videos, it sells product. I was sucked in until I realized that there are better products out there, they just were not as easy to find.

Being back in the rc world again after 15+ years I am still amazed at how cheap these things are compared to pretty much any other hobby out there. Tires alone for a DH bike or Moto coast roughly half what a D8T does (and only last 3 months of hard riding)!

Seems like rc is on the rise again, it is time for someone to step in and up the anty with some actual R&D and not just tweeks to the norm. Then follow that up w/ marketing and you will have a winner.
Precision1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
Tech Champion

That's why I went with the Durango DNX408. Engineering wise it has some interesting changes to the conventional designs. Both servos are laid down instead of standing up as in most designs. The engine is closer to the center of the chassis than the typical design. The engine is also placed so that the center diff can be in the center of the car. This allows the front and rear drive shafts to be the same length so you get the same amount of twist under hard acceleration. The diffs are designed to be removed without having to take the whole suspension apart. The tank's lid is off-set from the tank so that it can be centered in the chassis. Is it revolutionary? No...but it is nicely engineered. Yes there have been some issues as with any buggy...but that doesn't change how nicely engineered it is.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

haven't you guys ever heard of Team Magic???

it wouldn't fly. their cars weren't that much more in cost and were built differently then anything else.. it wasn't being used by a sponsered driver and it wasn't leaps and bounds better. they dried up.

imo, the public drools over cutting edge. but in reality are fine with whatever gets the job done.

85% of us in the hobby run what we do because our wallets allow it comfortably. if they can get the same performance out of a $400 car compared to a $1200 car.. very few will pay 3x's as much.. there are guys that run Kyosho.. mainly because of its history and drivers. not because they want to spend $900. the K car is good (i've driven it). but is it miles ahead of the Durango car i run, at my skill level? no.

my question or challenge to you is:

Can you build a car that not just looks cool, but just plain works better than whats available now? i think TD nailed the sweet design features vs actual functionality. can you 1up them w/o making it complex?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision1 View Post
If it is a superior product, and is marketed correctly, it will sell. Looking at various RC mfg web sites it seems like most aren't trying that hard in the marketing department. Some of them are down rite embarrassing. Compare the Traxxas website to that of Kyosho, worlds of difference. That is why Traxxas dumps millions into sponsoring 1:1 racers and a flashy and interactive website w/ tons of pictures and videos, it sells product. I was sucked in until I realized that there are better products out there, they just were not as easy to find.

Being back in the rc world again after 15+ years I am still amazed at how cheap these things are compared to pretty much any other hobby out there. Tires alone for a DH bike or Moto coast roughly half what a D8T does (and only last 3 months of hard riding)!

Seems like rc is on the rise again, it is time for someone to step in and up the anty with some actual R&D and not just tweeks to the norm. Then follow that up w/ marketing and you will have a winner.
Models on the market today are just tweaks. Motors get moved closer to the center line. Motors get moved forward. Shocks get bigger. Nothing major. Perhaps companies sense that most people are uncomfortable with new concepts.

Sure would be nice if someone could really think outside the box. Compacting all the components is at a dead end because you can't shrink the items. Maybe someday, someone will think of stacking components. I bet you could put the heavy battery under the gas tank. And why this infatuation with aluminum? We have composites that have been to the moon. Maybe someday, someone will try a composite chassis. Maybe someday.
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote