R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Default shock setup

Wanted some comments when you guys build your shocks using oil and springs how do you setup for your track condition. I build so my chassis doesn't slap from a 2-3 foot drop. I also try to have equal compression and rebound rate between front and back. How do you build does your chassis slap from a two foot drop. I've been working on my shock setup a lot to me this is probably the biggest performance factor but wanted some input.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

two foot? most of my cars would jsut touch the ground(bumpy tracks)
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Tech Champion

What don't understand your comment some people run really thick oils or hard springs cause they don't want any chassis slap to me it makes the car perform poor cause everything is tight their animate to make sure its happen. I just installed the CSI pistons version one blue some people are running 100 wt I tried but holy mother of mercy the rebound and compression was hard for my shock setup.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Suspended

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

mine will slap the ground on a 3 foot drop, i like to run a soft set up on my truggy and buggy, (running a med. loomy large track) a hard set up will make it to twitchy for my driving style. i run really hard and seems to be best for me.
D-MAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MAIN View Post
mine will slap the ground on a 3 foot drop, i like to run a soft set up on my truggy and buggy, (running a med. loomy large track) a hard set up will make it to twitchy for my driving style. i run really hard and seems to be best for me.
Yup that's me drive hard especially with me CRE mills some rides I see there suspension is super tight and they wonder why their traction rolling. Some kits I see their suspension is super light then they wonder why their kit constantly turns over when hitting the ruts. I'm just curious on people setup method I always setup were my chassis doesn't hit from a 2-3 drop what's your average height.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjayjay1 View Post
What don't understand your comment some people run really thick oils or hard springs cause they don't want any chassis slap to me it makes the car perform poor cause everything is tight their animate to make sure its happen. I just installed the CSI pistons version one blue some people are running 100 wt I tried but holy mother of mercy the rebound and compression was hard for my shock setup.
This is a great question, i was actually wondering the same thing.
I am running the old blue csi pistons, and i'm up to 1100 cst in the rear and its finally starting to feel like i have rear suspension on my D8, the front is fine with 70wt. I set my shocks up similar to what you do, but i'm just starting to race this rear, so i don't have much experience in that department.
honda237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjayjay1 View Post
Yup that's me drive hard especially with me CRE mills some rides I see there suspension is super tight and they wonder why their traction rolling. Some kits I see their suspension is super light then they wonder why their kit constantly turns over when hitting the ruts. I'm just curious on people setup method I always setup were my chassis doesn't hit from a 2-3 drop what's your average height.
I thought a tight suspension prevents traction roll..?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I thought a tight suspension prevents traction roll..?
it prevents Chassis Roll. so when there is enough grip and the chassis cant roll anymore, then the outside of the tyres start to fold over, then it starts Tipping over. before you can back off, or catch it, its over she goes.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

If your car is not bottoming from a 3ft drop to the floor it is probably WAY too stiff everywhere but the biggest jump on the track. Remember, when the car lands from a jump, it is not falling straight down. The suspension's primary job is to handle bumps and traction. Try running softer (any pro's setup for your given chassis is a good starting point), I bet you won't have as much chassis slap as you think and it should handle better when it's on the ground.

My buggy's front end bottoms a little when I drop if from ~12-18" but it's no problem on the track and it handles correctly.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
it prevents Chassis Roll. so when there is enough grip and the chassis cant roll anymore, then the outside of the tyres start to fold over, then it starts Tipping over. before you can back off, or catch it, its over she goes.
Will i drop mine about 3 to 4 i think just to see how hard she hit. I normally try that then hit the track and see what she does. i never have any rebound in the front. and i run about 50% in the rear. if it hit just a little im good to go i think. I run a hard packed outside clay track in the summer. i like the chassie to roll just a little. If i get traction roll i change my tires from soft to med and that normally fixes it for me. I had never had i my car go over yet this way. Everytime i get it to not slap hard i seem to be to bouncy. i have found it seem to work best with the bigest piston i could find and the thickest oil for the shock with out making it bounce if it does that i drop oil by 5 %. so last year i had the 1.4 piston with 6 hole i drilled them to 1.5 and put 40front and 45 rear seem to be great.but this year im gonna try out the new compettion pistion. Now im lost at for the setup cause it feel just to soft on the bench. i learned this method from driving my t maxx in the races. I got one throphy race under my belt with the maxx doing it like this. I think shock and tires are the most important part of a setup.
Hotbodies D812
Hotbodies ve8 Tekin 2050
imrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
If your car is not bottoming from a 3ft drop to the floor it is probably WAY too stiff everywhere but the biggest jump on the track. Remember, when the car lands from a jump, it is not falling straight down. The suspension's primary job is to handle bumps and traction. Try running softer (any pro's setup for your given chassis is a good starting point), I bet you won't have as much chassis slap as you think and it should handle better when it's on the ground.

My buggy's front end bottoms a little when I drop if from ~12-18" but it's no problem on the track and it handles correctly.
3' its hitting just added a range. I judge as if Im doing a ride height adjustment drop if i doesnt hit then I leave if its bottoms then I change.

I always feel other kits when at the track then watch their kits run its good feedback for me. I was watching JQ setup guide and I like how he does his setup very good information.