Wiki Posts
Search

Improving steering on Losi 8ight 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Improving steering on Losi 8ight 2.0

Hey everyone, glad to officially be part of the forums. So this past weekend I was practicing at my local track with my Losi 8ight 2.0 and I seemed to have trouble keeping enough speed through some of the tighter turns. My friend seem to either be able to keep more speed while maintaining a tight line, or he would slightly drift through the turns. My question is what parts of my setup should I be adjusting to help with my on and off power steering?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you're looking for detailed instructions on what to change, we're gonna need more info about your car and what it's doing.

For starters, what's your current set-up? Shock positions, ride height, diff fluids, spring weights, camber, toe, shock oil, sway bar and camber link positions?

When you say that you can't carry speed through the corners, does the car want to go straight when you turn the wheels or does the rear end lose traction and you spin out?

If you're not familiar with some of these things, might I suggest THE Guide to get you started.

Also Check out the various set-up guides used by Losi drivers and find one that resembles your track conditions. They can give you an idea of where to start with your tuning adventures.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Tech Rookie

It seems the car is pushing through the turns. The car is a straight out of the box losi 8ight 2.0 rtr.I had not seen those guides before, but I will certainly check them out. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Give the car time to break-in and try different tires.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

1) Put the standard Drake setup on it and follow it exactly. Ride height is very important.

2) Buy the proper silver front/green rear springs. New Losi parts, they're not the same as the race roller or RTR springs.

3) Run a JC Punisher body (single biggest effect on slow speed steering).

4) Trim 1mm off the rear wing lip (flip the wing upside down on a flat surface, use a "classic" regular sharpie marker and draw a line straight across, trim accordingly).

5) Adjust brakes to have about a 40/60 brake bias; the fronts should NEVER lock up, the rears need to barely start to lock at very slow speeds. (run the upgraded "black" brake discs).

Shock-mod is optional, but I prefer it. Makes the car more settled/plush.

The new radio tray w/forward mounted servos also picks up some steering and will keep you from losing throttle servos. A worthy upgrade as well, but not 100% necessary either.

Then experiment with tires from here.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (97%+)

whats the track you are practicing on? whats the surface like?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mblgjr
1) Put the standard Drake setup on it and follow it exactly. Ride height is very important.

2) Buy the proper silver front/green rear springs. New Losi parts, they're not the same as the race roller or RTR springs.

3) Run a JC Punisher body (single biggest effect on slow speed steering).

4) Trim 1mm off the rear wing lip (flip the wing upside down on a flat surface, use a "classic" regular sharpie marker and draw a line straight across, trim accordingly).

5) Adjust brakes to have about a 40/60 brake bias; the fronts should NEVER lock up, the rears need to barely start to lock at very slow speeds. (run the upgraded "black" brake discs).

Shock-mod is optional, but I prefer it. Makes the car more settled/plush.

The new radio tray w/forward mounted servos also picks up some steering and will keep you from losing throttle servos. A worthy upgrade as well, but not 100% necessary either.

Then experiment with tires from here.
If it still dont turn for you...toe out the front wheels more. Some reason losi's love it.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the wealth of information guys. I am running on a somewhat sandy and rutted out track. Ive had decent luck so far running losi eclipses. I just cant seem to really cut through the tightest sections quick enough. The turning radius is too wide right now, and i have trouble trying to drift around without pushing to the outside of the turn.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default Steering

Before trying all the different stuff find the right tire and tighten down on your servo saver. A loose servo saver will cause a car to push before anything. And since it's a rtr I bet the factory sent it with a "safe" amount of tension on it.